E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

$4 per gallon Gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by jaycal3
And it isnt the POTUS that is driving up the prices... Libya is... and for the record, its not in the Middle East!!
Very plebeian logic, my friend. Don't buy into anything you see on the news. The reason oil price is being driven up is speculative traders. If only, regulators around the globe had any real desire to reduce oil costs, they would simply regulate oil trading, where speculators wouldn't be able to trade it. Only producers and actual refiners would be able to sell and buy oil, respectively. Don't believe me? Try it. Just try. Someone. Anyone. Give it a try and see what the price of oil can be, when no one is speculatively trading it. I am betting it would come down to about 35-45 dollars a barrel.

So, in reality, I can understand why people feel the urge to bitch. Its just that this bitching is largely misguided and wasted. Look at it like this: if slaves tried to free themselves from other slaves, they would still be enslaved, right? Same here - bitching to your peers accomplishes nothing. You get big and you change the system. Until then, keep your complaints to a minimum... I don't know... there I go typing away again... /rant
Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Perhaps everyone should change their car to something like 535D ... or 520i ... for better fuel consumption ...
You can't complain the fuel price level if you are driving a 4.4L or 5L engine displacement car eh?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:08 AM
Contributors

Unfortunately, in the States, BMW does not sell diesel 5ers. The only diesels we have are X5 35d and a 335d.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Unfortunately, in the States, BMW does not sell diesel 5ers. The only diesels we have are X5 35d and a 335d.
We don't have diesel 5er in Hong Kong too...
Old 03-10-2011, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

Gas is usually higher in the Summer, no one thinks the price will come down @ sometime before the Summer months ?
Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

I've also looked into getting involved in businesses that install solar panels to end users. If I can swing it, I'd get solar panels and a Tesla. Problem solved. But the current technology of solar panels is lacking efficiency. The installation costs are prohibitive to lots of people - especially "in this economy".
Having spent the last 10 years thinking about doing this... Price actually isn't the problem at all. There are LOTS of rebates and grants available that allow most people to plan a 30% larger array, which means lots of excess to sell back.
The thing that kills solar panel installation: HOA or other visible detraction laws. Nearly all of the HOA's in America do not allow solar panel installation because it would 'detract' the look of the houses. In Europe, France especially, there are ordinances that prohibit solar panels on old, or historic, homes so that they keep the 'old world' charm for tourists.

It's not financial costs it's the laws/rules preventing installation.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by or_550i
Having spent the last 10 years thinking about doing this... Price actually isn't the problem at all. There are LOTS of rebates and grants available that allow most people to plan a 30% larger array, which means lots of excess to sell back.
The thing that kills solar panel installation: HOA or other visible detraction laws. Nearly all of the HOA's in America do not allow solar panel installation because it would 'detract' the look of the houses. In Europe, France especially, there are ordinances that prohibit solar panels on old, or historic, homes so that they keep the 'old world' charm for tourists.

Which is why when we were looking for a house to live in we specifically chose to avoid ones governed by HOA's. If I'm spending $500k+ you can kiss my ass if you want to tell me what I can and cannot do to my house.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Very plebeian logic, my friend. Don't buy into anything you see on the news. The reason oil price is being driven up is speculative traders. If only, regulators around the globe had any real desire to reduce oil costs, they would simply regulate oil trading, where speculators wouldn't be able to trade it. Only producers and actual refiners would be able to sell and buy oil, respectively. Don't believe me? Try it. Just try. Someone. Anyone. Give it a try and see what the price of oil can be, when no one is speculatively trading it. I am betting it would come down to about 35-45 dollars a barrel.

So, in reality, I can understand why people feel the urge to bitch. Its just that this bitching is largely misguided and wasted. Look at it like this: if slaves tried to free themselves from other slaves, they would still be enslaved, right? Same here - bitching to your peers accomplishes nothing. You get big and you change the system. Until then, keep your complaints to a minimum... I don't know... there I go typing away again... /rant
Vlad, don't forget also that the OPEC countries have previously stated that they NEED oil to remain higher than $70 a barrel to support their own domestic spending, such as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. Add to that the immensely strong oil lobby here in the US and basically - we're screwed
Old 03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Members

LOL I hope you didn't really used my words as signature
Old 03-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Retarded Sorry - that's the only thing I can say about it.

Actually, no, wait... I feel something else coming up

Fvcking retarded!!!

Originally Posted by pjinca
Vlad, don't forget also that the OPEC countries have previously stated that they NEED oil to remain higher than $70 a barrel to support their own domestic spending, such as Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. Add to that the immensely strong oil lobby here in the US and basically - we're screwed
After all, they take care of their people so well with all that money... refer to above to see the rest of my opinion.

You know what is THE MOST retarded?! Our boys and girls join up, thinking they will bring order and fairness to the world... instead, "the more things change, the more they stay the same"...

Quick Reply: $4 per gallon Gas