E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3rd day of ownership, overheated and left me and my son stranded

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not too happy. was 2 hrs frm home on the garden state parkway to all you jersey guys. miles from an exit. my poor 7 year old son with me on a way to a grad party...... so let cool down 2 times in about 20 minute intervals. never smelled sweetness or saw any coolant. checked a couple forums on my phone and some say they drove for a while with no problems. i did drive the last lap for about 5 miles when i felt the car was losing power. stopped immediately at next exit and waited for tow. so my thing is should i be worried that damages could go beyond waterpump or thermostat????

it is at a bmw dealership and will find out mon. on the work order i told them to look at entire cooling system and if anything else was affected.

secondly i called bmw dealership where i purchased thurs and they seem pretty cool about helping out with repairs. sales guy even offered to pick me up.
we'll see if they put there money where there mouth is mon morning i guess. car has 30 day 1000 mile warranty cause its an 06 with 90k. i'm thinking about purchasing extended warrnaty now and def renewing my AAA membership.

somebody tell me it's going to be ok, that engine is fine and that this is all typical waterpump/thermostat issues
Old 06-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

hopefully you didnt cause any damage to the engine by driving it while over-heated. i dont know where you read where its ok to drive while over-heated, but that is a big no-no.

what engine?
any leaks?
did you check coolant level?
Old 06-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Members

no leaks, no smell. its an 06xi sport. don't really no what engine
Old 06-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Members

also in same trip the tire pressure indicator came on stating i had a flat tire, which i clearly didnt. my heads up display was fading in and out as well when i lost power
Old 06-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

ur radiator may be bad. i had to replace mine at 45 k
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by drcomp
also in same trip the tire pressure indicator came on stating i had a flat tire, which i clearly didnt. my heads up display was fading in and out as well when i lost power
maybe you have a bad battery or loose connection possibly, causing these errors. check your battery to see if its original. its located on the right side of trunk. if its a bmw battery, the manufacture date is stamped on top of negative post.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Members

well i did have it towed to stealer and will await the verdict tomorrow. thanks for the. when they call me i will suggest they test the battery as well as the cooling system. if radiator, and or waterpump, and or thermostat do you suggest doing them all? will they all eventually fail? funny my previous car e39 i sold to my brother to purchase this. same cooling issues sounds like. I remember buying that at 90k on the clock and within a couple months put 2k into it replacing entire cooling system. plugs, belts, and trans and diff fluids. god i hope history doesnt repeat itself... i hope the stealer stands behind me on this. i do have a 30 day 1000 mile warranty. 3 friggon days and 2 hrs frm home!! if they don't i'm ready for a battle
Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

our cars will always have cooling issues. BMW basically use plastic for most of the cooling parts which deteriorate after years of use.
Turboawd is spot on with not driving when overheated, unless of emergency. These cars also run hot, meaning at higher temps than other cars, so when the cooling system fails, best to stop. Hopefully no gaskets were hurt in the engine. if you didn't see any coolant and no steam from the engine bay then maybe your thermostat is busted; I would think other issues would result in coolant leaks.

tire pressure may come on if the psi drops just a bit, mine would constantly go off even though there was not flat, turned out I had a bent rim that leaked air ever so slightly.

Good thing you have that short warranty, and these problems surfaced now and not 6 months from now. GL
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM
Members

thanks actually got news it is the wp and they doing the thermostat as well. $1000 job and dealer where i bought from is standing behind it and cutting me a check tomorrow. good news right?? one question and i've looked but doing these 2 components, will they have to take the radiator out and or expansion tank? I figure if most the labor is being paid for i will spring for the additional components to give me piece of mind.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
Members

also i figure they'll replace and hoses that were affected, as well as new coolant. do you think it would be wise to tell them to do an oil change as well? i figure the oil must've got pretty hot as well

Quick Reply: 3rd day of ownership, overheated and left me and my son stranded