E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 warnings at once

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koo' post='1056755' date='Nov 17 2009, 12:06 PM
Ok, checked the voltage from the alternator and its at a steady 14.4 -14.5
the battery was readying 11.5 and is over 5 years old it appears, the condition indicator was showing insufficient charge and a battery test showed 88% efficiency.

On the diagnostic befor changing the battery since it was cleared last time shows no additional faults from the alternator.

I have replaced the battery so will see what happens in the next few days.
Keep us posted
Old 11-17-2009, 04:00 PM
koo
Members

Took the car out for a short journey, the transmission fault came up just as i was pulling into a car park, turned off the car for about a minute and it cleared. Took the car back out later fr a longer run and after about 15 - 20 miles the transmission fault error comes back, except this time it wont clear and its stuck in failsafe mode.

I am having trouble finding threads on the e60 530d auto steptronic transmission and possible faults, can anyone point me in the right direction please.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by koo' post='1057086' date='Nov 17 2009, 08:00 PM
Took the car out for a short journey, the transmission fault came up just as i was pulling into a car park, turned off the car for about a minute and it cleared. Took the car back out later fr a longer run and after about 15 - 20 miles the transmission fault error comes back, except this time it wont clear and its stuck in failsafe mode.

I am having trouble finding threads on the e60 530d auto steptronic transmission and possible faults, can anyone point me in the right direction please.
How many miles on the car? Is transmission the only fault?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 PM
koo
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1057087' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:01 AM
How many miles on the car? Is transmission the only fault?
91,800 miles
The transmission fault is currently the only fault on the idrive

In the diagnostics the MAF is showing a fault as are 2 glow plugs
Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by koo' post='1057109' date='Nov 17 2009, 08:38 PM
91,800 miles
The transmission fault is currently the only fault on the idrive

In the diagnostics the MAF is showing a fault as are 2 glow plugs
Hmm....if only the transmission fault is showing....it might actually be the transmission. But the fact that you had DSC and TPMS faults also throws me off a little....
Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 AM
koo
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1057131' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:15 AM
Hmm....if only the transmission fault is showing....it might actually be the transmission. But the fact that you had DSC and TPMS faults also throws me off a little....
DSC and TPMS were there before I replaced the battery, only the transmission fault appears after the battery change. Have left the car for about 10 hours now so will see if those errors come back. I am shortly going to limp it to my garage.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by koo' post='1057327' date='Nov 18 2009, 06:14 AM
DSC and TPMS were there before I replaced the battery, only the transmission fault appears after the battery change. Have left the car for about 10 hours now so will see if those errors come back. I am shortly going to limp it to my garage.
Hi,

I have the same problems on my 2003 530D E60, three warning coming up but in my case it is, ABS, Transmission and Flat Tyre error. Would do it first thing in a morning, especially turning out of junctions. Once engine switched off and on again, all fault cleared and would not appear again all day, sometimes it would even go a week before reappearing. Like you thought it was the battery, so replaced it with a new one, only after taking it out did I find it had already been replaced in 2007 anyway still changed it. My error software is saying the voltage is too high in the ABS system, anyway cleared all the faults and it went about two weeks before the dreaded error messages came up again. What I understand is that the new battery is supposed to be registered to the car, so in my case if the previous owner just replaced the battery as I did, and didn't reset the system, then the battery will be over charging thinking it is a flat battery. Which might be the reason for the error, anyway since changing the battery the error messages have only appeared two times in the last month, which I can live with as I have a funny feeling BMW won't know what is causing it either, but still charge to have a look. The two times the errors came back was once when I had washed the car and threw water over the wheels, and this morning when it was pouring down, so it might be a bad connection on the rear sensors.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 AM
koo
Members

Originally Posted by flashit1' post='1057347' date='Nov 18 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi,
I have the same problems on my 2003 530D E60.........
Well I limped it to the garage, they did a reset and cleared all the memory and faults.

I think my problem was the battery and then my driving style both causing the errors. After a drive and putting it back on diagnostic only the MAF sensor is coming up but the car is driving much better for the transmissoin reset. There is what appears to be a little bit of clutch slip left but the "slam" is nowhere near as bad but i am thinking that could be the MAF on its way out.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by koo' post='1056346' date='Nov 16 2009, 08:45 PM
Hi all,

Just went for a quick drive in my 530d e60 and within a few hundred meters things started going wrong.

I did notice when i started the car it didnt sound like it usually did, a little rougher sounding than normal. Anyway within a few hundred meters of pulling off the DSC warning shows up saying its been turned off and to take cornering steady!

I restart the car and it fine for about 100 meters then the transmission failure warning comes on and the car goes into safe mode.
Then the tyre pressure sensor warning is displayed.

I restart the car again and its driving like normal and all thats flagged up it the tyre warning sensor.

Anyone have any idea what has happened?

I had a similar problem and about one month later alternator failed completly.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:51 PM
koo
Members

I left the car for over 24 hours after its new battery and the reset, decided to give it a try and sure enough as I pull away DSC and active steering warnings pop up, restart and they clear, drive about a mile and leave it for 15 minutes, start it again and then have active steeringg warning again after a few moments.

With the idrive displaying the active steering warning I did notice that the backlight was pulsing.

going to take it to my garage next week and get them to check the allternator, maf and remove the swirl flaps while they are at it.

Quick Reply: 3 warnings at once