E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

3 vs. 5 - anyone else face the same dilemma?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi - Silver/Gray, Gray Leather, 6 SP Manual, Premium, Sport, CW, CA, Shades, Logic7

I'm looking to replace my TSX over the next several months, and was pretty much set in my mind that I would get a 325xiT. But since I'm pretty tall (6' 3") and have two young children, I thought I might like to have a larger car, and so I've recently begun considering a 5-series.

My priorities for getting a new car, in order of importance, are 1) AWD, 2) More passenger room, 3) More cargo room and 4) more power. And power really is by far the least of my concerns. Overall balance and a sporty character is what I'm after on that front, which is why I am wanting a BMW.

Since the 325 is near the top of my budget as it is, the only 5-series I am considering is a 525xi.

So, a 325xiT gets me AWD and more cargo room (with the wagon), but about the same passenger room as my TSX. The 525xi gets me the AWD, much more passenger room, and somewhat more cargo room with a larger trunk. All for probably about a $5-6k premium over the 325.

I've always had a dilemma when buying a car between wanting something small and sporty, or something larger that I "fit" better in. So far, the small and sporty has always won out, but I recently drove a 525xi with a manual trannie, and realized that, for the most part, I could have both.

So, those are my considerations. Has anyone else "cross-shopped" the 3 and 5? Or I imagine several e60 owners came from 3-series. While I realize it comes down to a personal decision, I'd appreciate any comments and insight.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Faced the same dilemma
Went to get a 3, but ended up with a five - wife's choice whenit really comes down to it.

You can't go wrong with either

BTW
from you other thread a few notes:
1-sport pakg- no difference in suspension, but if the one you drove had optional tires then they may have been run flats and there have been several commments here on how they have a sriffer ride

2-if it does not have a start/stop button on a 5 series then the produciton was pre 9/05- still has the new motor, but no leather on the idrive knob(which I heard they have removed), and some differentdsc programming - if they still have one on the lot without start/stop you may be able to get a good deal on it

3-if you order it will come with start stop button but there is post here about BMW 5 series incentives but no one has been able to say how it will affect price if at all since it started yesterday

OK - I'll sat it - go with the 5 - much better presence - the 3's are nice but there is something about the e60 that is great - but it is just an opinion
Old 01-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Contributors

I have ordered a 525xi and expect the delivery in February. Originally I went to my local dealership to test drive a 325xi Touring wagon. It was OK, but did not feel adequate for 2 reasons:

1) It is small! The cargo area under the roller cover is not very tall. If you put a baby stroller in there you need to leave the cover open. The back seat is not generous either. With child seats installed the kids will be kicking the backs of the front seats for sure.
2) There was a bit too much road noise especially with the winter tires. Wagons are always worse in this respect because the rear wheel wells are not separated from the passenger compartment.

Otherwise the 3er is a nice car though. Fortunately my dealer had a 525xi test drive car as well. I got it for a good 4 hour test drive one afternoon. When returning the car I immediately order one on the spot. Interior space is adequate, sound insulation is excellent, and a baby stroller goes into the trunk with ease. And when you order the car with split fold back seats you got a lot of added versatility.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

3 series will be a fantastic car, no doubt, but its not a 5.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by beldredge' post='218172' date='Jan 2 2006, 02:12 AM
I'm looking to replace my TSX over the next several months, and was pretty much set in my mind that I would get a 325xiT. But since I'm pretty tall (6' 3") and have two young children, I thought I might like to have a larger car, and so I've recently begun considering a 5-series.

My priorities for getting a new car, in order of importance, are 1) AWD, 2) More passenger room, 3) More cargo room and 4) more power. And power really is by far the least of my concerns. Overall balance and a sporty character is what I'm after on that front, which is why I am wanting a BMW.

Since the 325 is near the top of my budget as it is, the only 5-series I am considering is a 525xi.

So, a 325xiT gets me AWD and more cargo room (with the wagon), but about the same passenger room as my TSX. The 525xi gets me the AWD, much more passenger room, and somewhat more cargo room with a larger trunk. All for probably about a $5-6k premium over the 325.

I've always had a dilemma when buying a car between wanting something small and sporty, or something larger that I "fit" better in. So far, the small and sporty has always won out, but I recently drove a 525xi with a manual trannie, and realized that, for the most part, I could have both.

So, those are my considerations. Has anyone else "cross-shopped" the 3 and 5? Or I imagine several e60 owners came from 3-series. While I realize it comes down to a personal decision, I'd appreciate any comments and insight.

Thanks!
It looks like you are going with a wagon. If so, then I don't know. I definitely would have gone for a stripper 545i over a loaded 3xx.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

I went shopping for a 3 myself, but the g/f didn't like it and pushed for the 5. I'm 6'1" and am glad I got the 5.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

my wife & i test drove the 3-er & the 5-er back to back
the choice is obvious!
Old 01-02-2006, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

I had an 06 330i Sedan on order, but found out the engines will probably be changed in the next 6-9 months so bought a 550i instead. The 3 is definitely a more agile car, so if it is sporty driving that is a priority then I would lean that direction. The 5 is quieter and has a nice blend of sport and luxury. The 3 series, including the M3, doesn't have an engine anything like the 4.8 liter V8 in the 550.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Members

I had a 320dTouring, I changed for a 530d.
I don't like the new 3 that much ...
I live now in another dimension ...
Old 01-02-2006, 05:02 AM
Members

I took my wife to the dealer to test the 3 thinking it would be a good car for her. She saw the 5 and liked it better. When we drove the two back to back (330 and 530) we thought the 3 handled better and had better accelleration, but the 5 had much better interior space, my wife preferred the look of the 5.

You can't go wrong with either car. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 3 vs. 5 - anyone else face the same dilemma?