E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

29D1 Cyl 5 misfire after replacing only the starter - N52 engine, 183k miles, 2009 52

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 10:23 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany
Angry 29D1 Cyl 5 misfire after replacing only the starter - N52 engine, 183k miles, 2009 52

I recently replaced my original starter with a new BOSCH unit after the car would not start after sitting for about an hour after eating dinner. Had it towed home 22 miles away. Gave me a 40B4 code - bad starter. Ordered a new starter, starter bolts - removed plastic parts, intake manifold, etc. - replaced starter, got everything bolted back up and turned on the engine.

Fired right up - but there engine was idling rough, hesitating, entire car started shaking violently and RPMS dropped from 1k to around 600 while sputtering. I thought it was vacuum leak so I replaced the PCV crank case breather hose (3 way) with OEM BMW part 11157559528. Same engine code/misfire/violent shaking.

Looked around to ensure there isn't a bad connection to MAF, MAP, hoses, etc. None noticeable after I removed intake and triple checked everything was securely in place. Cleaned all ground points to ensure there is good ground connection. None of that helped. I also installed new intake manifold gaskets (x6 of them) to ensure no vacuum leaks directly at the intake ports. Still misfires badly.

Ran codes and it gave me the 29D1 "Combustion misfires: Cylinder 5" code.
  • I swapped the coil pack with Cyl 2 - Same Code 29D1 on Cyl 5
  • Cleared codes and reset adaptations. Same Code 29D1 on Cyl 5
  • New NGK spark plug gapped at .044 on cyl 5 with cyl 2 coil pack - Same Code 29D1 on Cyl 5
  • I unplugged the entire electrical connection strip for all the fuel injectors, saw they weren't dirty or corroded, plugged them back in securely - Same Code 29D1 on Cyl 5.
  • I did notice the injector #5 and #6 were a bit "loose" when I shook them. I shook all them slightly while they were plugged into the fuel rail and all were secure except for injector #5 and 6.
I have a new (reman) injector on order as well as a new BOSCH Coil pack and new spark plug specifically to place on Cyl #5. The Crank Case Valve between Cyl 5 and 6 seems ok. It's not lose or broken. Valve cover was done about 10k miles ago. Please note there was NO ENGINE MISFIRES before the starter went out.

I thought this would be a simple starter replacement (well, it's a pain to remove/reinstall since the intake and stuff has to be removed first) but now I have a misfire on cyl 5 that I can't get rid of. This is on an N52 engine so I don't have to code or reset the injector settings after reinstall.

Anyone know what else it might be IF the new fuel injector does not do the trick? Please note the car has 183k miles, and has been well maintained by me with premium parts when I acquired it in 2016 with 122k miles. All maintenance has been done and components known to fail/leak have all been addressed (expansion tank, oil filer housing gaskets, valve cover gasket, valvetronic, Vanos solenoids, coolant hoses/o-rings, etc.).

This is my daily driver I purchased used when stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany when stationed overseas. I really don't want to sell or get rid of this car as EVERYTHING works, no SES/CEL lights or any errors in i-drive. All buttons, knobs, etc work great.

Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to spend all of my $1400 stimulus money continuing to throw new parts at this thing. Fingers crossed the new injector fixes it, otherwise it may be time to bite the bullet and check out some new cars - (no more BMW).

Can anyone help?

V/R,

MilitaryDave
Old 03-21-2021, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

When replacing the starter always buy the CCV kit. Did you do a smoke test? I'm sure you have a leak somewhere. Pretty sure it's not the injectors, plugs or coils themselves causing the issue.
Old 03-21-2021, 02:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
When replacing the starter always buy the CCV kit. Did you do a smoke test? I'm sure you have a leak somewhere. Pretty sure it's not the injectors, plugs or coils themselves causing the issue.
I have not done a smoke test. I will try the new injector first. if that fails then I will attempt a smoke test.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

I think you may have broken a brittle tubing or knocked something lose. I did that when I replaced my Starter. I then had to replace a hose and redo a few things, and then all was well. I hope you replaced the intake gaskets while you were in there.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:13 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
I think you may have broken a brittle tubing or knocked something lose. I did that when I replaced my Starter. I then had to replace a hose and redo a few things, and then all was well. I hope you replaced the intake gaskets while you were in there.
Yeah that's what I thought so too but I triple checked everything and everything looks good. I did replace the x6 intake gaskets once I had the plastic intake off.

I ended up buying a mechanic's stethoscope and I do not hear clicking/ticking from the fuel injector on cylinder 5. I can hear tapping/clicking/ticking all other injectors except #5.

Among that I purchased a "noid" light to ensure the electrical connector to the injector is working properly. I think with the new Bosch ignition coil, NGK spark plug, new injector (I bought replacement o-rings to service all the other fuel injectors while I have them out) will hopefully do the trick.

I'm about $529 into throwing parts at this thing (New starter, PCV emissions hose, gaskets, fuel injector - all new parts) so hoping this really does the trick. I'd like to enjoy the rest of the stimulus money lol.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:01 AM
New Members

***PROBLEM SOLVED!! BAD FUEL INJECTOR!!***

New fuel injector arrived in the mail. Removed the fuel rail, swapped in the new injector on cylinder #5, bolted everything back up - no more engine misfire, check engine light, error codes. Added a Noid light set and Mechanic's stethoscope to my tool box - without those I couldn't have diagnosed the problem properly. Did some maintenance while I had everything off... (oil change, new air filter, cabin air filters, cleaned the engine bay, topped off fluids, etc.).

Car is running beautifully. Cranks super fast with the new Bosch starter too. Hoping there aren't any issues moving forward as this has a new battery (coded/registered) from Feb 2021, New starter, new PCV hose, new intake gasket, new spark plug/coil/fuel injector, new filters, oil change, among all the other thing i've replaced over the years - expansion tank, oil housing gaskets, serpentine belt, pulley, tensioner, coolant hoses w/oem BMW blue coolant, spark plugs, valve cover gasket, etc.). I even ordered some new jack pads since the old ones were chipping off.

Hope this helps anyone that has a misfire on any cylinder with the N52 engine. First check your plugs/coils by swapping them out. then test for good electrical connection via a Noid light. Lastly get a stethoscope and listen to each injector to see if it's clicking/'ticking. Replace all O-rings if the fuel rail is removed.

Best of luck!
Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

You have to have the worst luck ever. An injector and starter going at the same time. Glad you got it fixed. What did you use to write the injector number into the DME?

Last edited by seanjordan20; 03-28-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:46 AM
New Members

You have to have the worst luck ever. An injector and starter going at the same time. Glad you got it fixed.
LOL Thanks! Luckily the injector failed while the car was in the garage during a starter replacement, and not out and about having to have roadside assistance towing it home. I hear you can drive with a misfire, though it's not recommended to due to damage to the engine.

The E60 should be all set moving forward. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2021, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

I added to my post but don't think you got it in time to respond to it.

What program or OBD2 reader did you use to write the injector number into the DME? If the injector is not programmed you will have a slight decrease in drivability.

I see you bought the car in K-Town. Are you still in.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:31 AM
New Members

I added to my post but don't think you got it in time to respond to it.

What program or OBD2 reader did you use to write the injector number into the DME? If the injector is not programmed you will have a slight decrease in drivability.

I see you bought the car in K-Town. Are you still in.
I read up on that and apparently N52 engines such as mine do not require new injectors to be programmed to the DME. It's only for N54, N55 engines apparently. I have put about 500 miles since installation with no decrease in power, MPG, driveability or performance.

No I am stateside now. Got out a year ago. Living the veteran life now getting ready to use the Post 9/11 GI to go to school this fall and get my next degree. I miss K-town. Big Emma's especially!