E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

25s Throttle Trick Reset Everything ?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a battery in the trunk? I'll check it when I get a chance. The car has 44k miles. Will dealer replace battery under warranty?

So far, the car still runs perfect. Starts right up with no hesitation.

I'll post about battery readings later.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use a different key? I have heard that the car will memorize different presets and comfort seat settings to the key that you use..
Old 12-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Deltabox, it sounds like there is a battery issue with your new-to-you e60. There are lots of posts about that - search the forum but be prepared for lots of "opinions".

That said, if you recently purchased a CPO BMW from a dealer they should be ready - willing - and able to set your car straight. And, since this is a brand new purchase they should have identified ALL vehicle issues and made them correct before you drove it off their lot. IF THEY DIDN'T don't get suckered into paying the CPO deductible - ESPECIALLY if your 2008 is still covered under the original warranty.

To get started on the right foot (and I know you've probably already done this - RIGHT) ... read your owner's manual. A CPO should come with a printed copy but I personally find the on-line version much easier to search. Grab it here : https://5series.net/information/

HAPPY NEW YEAR

OH - BTW, the adaptive transmission 25 second reset does work. But it has NOTHING whatsoever to do with the disappearing indicators you've written about. AND, the adaptive transmission brain actually collects information as you continue driving your car and will learn how you and others operate the car and make some subtle - often indiscernible - programming changes to how it shifts etc.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by west
Did you use a different key? I have heard that the car will memorize different presets and comfort seat settings to the key that you use..
i bet this happened. car settings are stored on the key, and if you insert a different key, settings will be different.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

The transmission reset will NOT change anything else, I tend to think firstly coincidence and then secondly that there is SOMETHING not quite right with your car!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
The transmission reset will NOT change anything else, I tend to think firstly coincidence and then secondly that there is SOMETHING not quite right with your car!
It worked great on my car. Thanks for sharing that with me Dave!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 PM
Members

As a matter of fact, I did use a NEW key that the dealer gave me. I used the new key because i read that the keys battery gets charged during use? I specifically asked for a second key and that was the first time i had used that particular key. Do you think because the key was new, my presets were gone? I can't find my battery. Where the heck is it?

Gosh I hope it's because the key was new that did this. You guys are starting to make me worry about my new-to-me car.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM
New Members

Yes... New key= new presets. The manual will walk you through this.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by deltabox
As a matter of fact, I did use a NEW key that the dealer gave me. I used the new key because i read that the keys battery gets charged during use? I specifically asked for a second key and that was the first time i had used that particular key. Do you think because the key was new, my presets were gone? I can't find my battery. Where the heck is it?
Gosh I hope it's because the key was new that did this. You guys are starting to make me worry about my new-to-me car.
BMW electronics are more complex than your usual toaster oven ... Yes, the standard key fob battery is charged when inserted in the key slot. Comfort Access fobs have a replaceable battery. You should know which your car is equipped with. Each key can learn certain preset or adjustable features - like radio presets and seat, steering wheel and outside rear-view mirror positions. When the specific key is used to operate the car those owner set features are automatically activated. That way individual drivers won't have to put up with the other driver's likes and dislikes.

It'll take you some time to learn about all the features and how to make use of them. Don't panic - the owner's manual is a good place to start (as I previously posted).

If you want to explore your car - be cautious ... you don't want to do something crazy and cause issues with warranty coverage.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Members

Thanks for the advice. I did go through the manual, just focusing on parts that interested me. I'll make sure to go thru it more thoroughly. So for now, am I safe to assume that my car including my battery are okay? I don't have any other reason to think otherwise.

Also, where the heck is the battery? I couldnt see it in the engine bay and I can't find it in the trunk.

Quick Reply: 25s Throttle Trick Reset Everything ?!