E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

25s Throttle Trick Reset Everything ?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So those of you who know or read about this trick. Check this out.

I don't know if anybody else got this, but I tried this today. I actually did it twice (in a row) and not only did I reset my tranny, but all my presets went back to factory and all of the 6 buttons for presets disappeared! And I had to redo my cell phone also. Was that suppose to happen?

And my digital gauge that tells me how many more miles I have until empty is now just bars (----.-). So how do I get this back?

Was it because I did the procedure twice in a row, it reset more than just the tranny? I did NOT start the engine after the first procedure, just did them back to back.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Members

im interested to the answer you get....i was getting ready to try that trick(x2)
Old 12-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Members

I'm telling you what I got when I did it twice. My radio presets erased, my cell phone gone, 6button presets all gone and DTE ( distance til empty). Now shows dash lines. It's like I disconnected the batt but didn't, you know?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

That's strange... not sure how that would happen just by holding the accelerator down for 25 seconds... Is you battery on its way out? How old is it? Any issues prior to the accelerator trick? I would think its a major coincidence considering the original thread has over 300 replies and almost 120,000 views and no one else has mentioned it..
Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by deltabox
I'm telling you what I got when I did it twice. My radio presets erased, my cell phone gone, 6button presets all gone and DTE ( distance til empty). Now shows dash lines. It's like I disconnected the batt but didn't, you know?
Delta, what year/car did you do this on?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

It's like rebooting the computer to clear out the memory. This works on both of my cars!! I do it every month or so and the cars drive much smoother every time!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Members

I just purchased my 2008 528i from bmw dealership. It is CPO. It runs perfect. But I had the hesitation from the line also, so I wanted to try this trick. My hesitation seems to have stopped and it accelerates much better. But it was weird that all my memory and presets were deleted.

But like I said, I did it TWICE back to back. I didn't even turn the engine ON after the first procedure. Just took the key out and repeated the steps. I think after the second go around, it was like I reset the whole computer and erased all of my personal settings.

Jaycal: I think my battery is still good. iDrive tells me that theres nothing wrong with the car.

I think it's like toy2bmw said, it's a way to reboot the computer. Do it once and you reset tranny, do it 2 times and you reset your computer? I should try it 3 times and see what happens?

It's just a pain in the butt to have to redo all your presets and stuff. But I still have the dash lines where I use to see the DTE mileage. I'm guessing because I reset everything, it needs to re-calculate it by going through a whole tank of gas? I don't know. I'm thinking out loud now.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535 xi Platinum Grey Metallic - Natural brown dakota Leather - Nav - Premium- Sport - Cold weather - CA

Originally Posted by deltabox
I think my battery is still good. iDrive tells me that theres nothing wrong with the car.
I would expect that... mine said it was fine, so did the SA after 2 visits until it failed sitting in their drive...

Your DTE will likely come back after some driving, you can do the same thing by resetting the mileage counters.

Interesting to see if that can really reset the entire system...
Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I have peformed the 25sec reset twice before, consecutively, as I was unsure if I had done it correctly. However, I did not get a system reset like you. I have heard some E60's batteries failing within 3 years of ownership for some reason. How about checking your battery in the trunk compartment and see if your dot is green still? How many miles on the car?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i

I just did this trick on my 530i yesterday and had no problems at all. Tranny reset as stated however I didn't hear that noise that other members were talking about. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 25s Throttle Trick Reset Everything ?!