E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 550i Maintenance coverage Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, and 35% Tinted windows.

Question for all the BMW guru's. My 2010 550i has almost 7K miles.
A caution warning appeared, so I checked it and it states I need to add a quart of oil.
I checked both screens: the oil level shows one quart low, the vehicle status shows engine oil ok!
My question is do I need to add oil? Even though the overall Engine oil shows OK?
Owners main doesn't state oil type, or grade, at my first glance. Under the hood shows only use BMW Performance oil.
And is this covered under the BMW maintenace? or should I just buy a quart of oil. If so what kind and what grade?

Thanks,
TIm
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Contributors

If I were you I'd call your dealer's Service Advisor and if it's not too far a drive ask that your vehicle be inspected to ensure that there are no problems. There are known sensor problems and overfilling oil can be harmful to the engine. If your driving style is very aggressive you might expect some oil consumption between scheduled (condition-based service) maintenance.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Your e60 550i has a dipstick you can pull to check engine oil level, if you don't trust the iDrive.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

If iDrive says add the oil, add 1 quart.

Here is the link to BMW's approved engine oils:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Our cars are basically twins so I gotta look after the twin born second.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, M Sport Package, and 35% Tinted windows.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
If iDrive says add the oil, add 1 quart.

Here is the link to BMW's approved engine oils:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Our cars are basically twins so I gotta look after the twin born second.
Thanks guys!
I know adding a quart of oil is no big deal, but with out a dip stick, and having to rely on trusting the i-Drive that shows conflicting information,
I wanted to check with the experts here on the forum.

SDG1871-(my older twin) LOL
Where did you get the wing?
Did it come painted?
Have you seen a Carbon Fiber version?

Tim
Old 06-05-2010, 05:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

are you sure you do not have a dip stick? 07 550i does....upper back right of the engine sound damping cover... but who ever said that previously might be talking about you boost junkies (535i) my 07 550i w/60k does NOT burn any oil that I know of and I change my oil every 7k. Definitely call your SA... I call my SA about things every week... ask him questions... about this that anything... get his email./.. make him be there for you and be polite. he/she is a prick? then talk to someone else there. These people have to provide customer service and when you ask a question they are supposed to jump...

Remember... 550i gives you automatic BALLER status of course our M cousins have bigger baller status but you get my point ANY BMW is expensive and when we buy there products we are showing commitment financially - some of us 100k is nothing but that is not the majority- so demand that everything is perfect... perfect

I think with only 7k on the car you would not have anything going wrong.... unless you are basically going extreme hardcore drifting courses and autocross ... which honestly going sides ways in 550i is pretty awesome on a skid pad.

I have read that there are issues with over filling and the oil sensor... do not know to what extent never happened to me. Remember also that you can hit that sos button in the car and ask to be connected to a service rep at your dealership... once they connect you talk to them or talk to your SA. At least you get to use that cool button.

Post a follow up in this thread so that we can see it. good luck
Old 06-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Members

OK soI stopped by the dealership and told them the issue.
They added a quart of oil, no paper work, no waiting, overall one of the best visits to a dealership I've ever had!

Thanks,
TIm
[/quote]
Old 06-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Contributors

T
Originally Posted by 550i-Hi
Thanks guys!
I know adding a quart of oil is no big deal, but with out a dip stick, and having to rely on trusting the i-Drive that shows conflicting information,
I wanted to check with the experts here on the forum.

SDG1871-(my older twin) LOL
Where did you get the wing?
Did it come painted?
Have you seen a Carbon Fiber version?

Tim
Tim:

The spoiler you saw on my car was an ACS style spoiler -- a replica. I got it off a member who got it off of eBay. It is no longer on my car because the fitment sucked and it kept pulling up on one end. Three different shops attempted to install it and it pulled up on one end every time. I don't blame the member I got it from because he never installed it on his ride and had no idea the fitment was not perfect.

The only way it was going to stay down was with a bonding agent other than double stick tape and, with a leased car, I've been reluctant to use a bonding agent on the paint. No it did not come painted and I had a body shop paint it carbon black. They actually did a horrible job and my paint had some bubbling in it.

If I were doing it again, I'd buy an original ACS spoiler. Big bucks but it fits right. I spent as much money going to shops trying to get that POS to fit as I would have spent buying the real thing and putting it on once.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871
T

Tim:

The spoiler you saw on my car was an ACS style spoiler -- a replica. I got it off a member who got it off of eBay. It is no longer on my car because the fitment sucked and it kept pulling up on one end. Three different shops attempted to install it and it pulled up on one end every time. I don't blame the member I got it from because he never installed it on his ride and had no idea the fitment was not perfect.

The only way it was going to stay down was with a bonding agent other than double stick tape and, with a leased car, I've been reluctant to use a bonding agent on the paint. No it did not come painted and I had a body shop paint it carbon black. They actually did a horrible job and my paint had some bubbling in it.

If I were doing it again, I'd buy an original ACS spoiler. Big bucks but it fits right. I spent as much money going to shops trying to get that POS to fit as I would have spent buying the real thing and putting it on once.

Thanks for the heads up on the wing!
I took a close look at an M5 wing today while I was at the dealer.
It's nice, I may go that way.

Tim
Old 06-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 550i-Hi
Thanks for the heads up on the wing!
I took a close look at an M5 wing today while I was at the dealer.
It's nice, I may go that way.

Tim
The M5 spoiler is much more subtle than the ACS spoiler. It also sits on top of the trunk and is therefore a lot more likely to stick for good with just tape. But if you are looking for a flamboyant spoiler, the M5 spoiler is not that.

Quick Reply: 2010 550i Maintenance coverage Question