E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2010 535sport with Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, black saphire, black leather, comfort seats, premium, cold weather

Little background. Took delivery of new 2010 535 w/sport at the Performance Center in South Carolina yesterday. After completing the program, started the 6.5 hour drive home.....no problems.....car was great....then about 1/4 mile from home, I thought I heard a "noise" in the front of the car somewhere...but I was tired, and just chalked it up to that.

Pulled into the garage got out....thought the car "smelled" a bit, but thought it was because of a new car, and was just the break in smell.

This morning got up.....went to the garage, noticed below the right side of car, from the front tire, all the way to the rear tire, there was fluid on the floor. Also noticed an oily residue on the lower portions of the passenger door, and on the rear bumper, and back of trunk lid.

After regaining my composure, decided I needed to go to the dealer (less than 10 miles). So started the car, no problem there, and pulled out of the neighborhood, and the transmission seemed to "slip". I am going what the heck is going on here. Hit my first stop light. Started again.....same thing transmission slip. Then in about 1/2 mile......ding!! I drive alarm.......Transmission Malfunction............small print said your car is safe to drive, but to get servicing ASAP. So.....I limped to the dealer. And to think yesterday the car had 3 miles on it, now with less than 400, and haven't even had it 24 hours.

Fast forward to later today.....I speak with my service advisor......he indicated that it was indeed transmission fluid......coming from somewhere around the right wheel well......but doesn't know yet if it is a line leaking, cooler leaking, or a fitting. He has not yet been able to replicate the leak or pinpoint the source.

Dealer has said the electronics check out...(whatever that means), but still are looking, and will start again in the morning.

I asked his opinion....did I lose enough fluid to cause damage to the transmission? To this point that is an unknown, but damage isn't expected. I asked would it be reasonable to draw a fluid sample, and do a analysis for metal fragments. He thought that was a reasonable question.....

Well, we are on hold until in the morning, and thought I would ask you guys for any suggestions to help troubleshoot this, and at the same time give me the confidence that I am not going to have a problem with this vehicle in the future.

Attempting to study all my options for dealing with this. Very frustrating to say the least.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the help