E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 535 engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535xi, Space Gray, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather, Other Goodies, Clear Bra, 2002 VFR 800, Race Red

Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I just picked up a 2010 535xi two and a half weeks ago. Love the car, really loved the price with the F10's coming out soon. This is my first (of many I hope) BMW and therefore would like some advice or input on a sound/vibration that I am getting around 1500 rpm (40 mph).

The car has 900 miles, is extremely smooth and quite with a nice grumble (prob from the intake) from the engine bay upon acceleration. I love everyting about it. within the last 500 miles, i have noticed a vibration upon deceleration. If I shift into N, the sound goes away, which eliminated tranny, tires, and X-drive.

I originally though it was engine noise, but now think it might be a bit of exhaust drone exacerbated by deceleration. The noise itself isn't the problem as it sounds like a muffled sprorts car decelerating. The problem is that I can feel it in the wheel and dead pedal. It is really odd!

I took it to the dealer and as everybody would expect, it didn't make the noise! So I plan on running it some more then head back.

So... my questions to all of you (my new brothers )is these....
1)Are your 535xi's extremely quite upon deceleration (normal speeds of 80mph or less)?
2)Do you ever feel any vibration (engine or exhaust) in the steering wheel or dead pedal upon acceleration or deceleration?
3)Do any of my symptoms seem familiar to any of you.

I don't think this is a significant issue, and if I couldn't feel it, I would be very happy, but even with the stereo cranked, I can feel it, which I don't think I should.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i wagon

I also have a 2010 535i and notice a very subtle vibration or perhaps more of a sensation of added load at times when coasting or decelerating. I speculated this may be due to the brake energy regeneration system. This only applies a load from the generator to charge the battery when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. I fully charged the BMW battery with a battery tender once and this seemed to largely eliminate the sensation for a time.

"BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery."
Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi, Space Gray, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather, Other Goodies, Clear Bra, 2002 VFR 800, Race Red

Originally Posted by Michiganmike
I also have a 2010 535i and notice a very subtle vibration or perhaps more of a sensation of added load at times when coasting or decelerating. I speculated this may be due to the brake energy regeneration system. This only applies a load from the generator to charge the battery when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. I fully charged the BMW battery with a battery tender once and this seemed to largely eliminate the sensation for a time.

"BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery."
That is quite interesting as I can't figure out why is seems to be a little intermittent. I didn't even know we had a "brake energy regeneration system". I'll have to look into the specifics behind that little piece of technology!

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by supraman66
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker.

I just picked up a 2010 535xi two and a half weeks ago. Love the car, really loved the price with the F10's coming out soon. This is my first (of many I hope) BMW and therefore would like some advice or input on a sound/vibration that I am getting around 1500 rpm (40 mph).

The car has 900 miles, is extremely smooth and quite with a nice grumble (prob from the intake) from the engine bay upon acceleration. I love everyting about it. within the last 500 miles, i have noticed a vibration upon deceleration. If I shift into N, the sound goes away, which eliminated tranny, tires, and X-drive.

I originally though it was engine noise, but now think it might be a bit of exhaust drone exacerbated by deceleration. The noise itself isn't the problem as it sounds like a muffled sprorts car decelerating. The problem is that I can feel it in the wheel and dead pedal. It is really odd!

I took it to the dealer and as everybody would expect, it didn't make the noise! So I plan on running it some more then head back.

So... my questions to all of you (my new brothers )is these....
1)Are your 535xi's extremely quite upon deceleration (normal speeds of 80mph or less)?
2)Do you ever feel any vibration (engine or exhaust) in the steering wheel or dead pedal upon acceleration or deceleration?
3)Do any of my symptoms seem familiar to any of you.

I don't think this is a significant issue, and if I couldn't feel it, I would be very happy, but even with the stereo cranked, I can feel it, which I don't think I should.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

After a few hundred of miles you will start feeling a lot more vibration coming from the rear and your twin turbo flickering. Then you will start seeing Engine Malfunction. Don't be surprised. It's all the etiquette's we get with our N54's
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
After a few hundred of miles you will start feeling a lot more vibration coming from the rear and your twin turbo flickering. Then you will start seeing Engine Malfunction. Don't be surprised. It's all the etiquette's we get with our N54's
I'm not sure what your trying to say. Sorry.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

What he is saying the wast gate articulator loosens up and you get waste gate ping/ticking from the engine bay ( no solution yet , BMW tried to fix car with software only to drastically retard the performance and the pinging also still come back,then replace the Waste gate and turbos... it still comes back after some time)

And the HPFP is going to fail ( just accept it , it will happen and may happen more than once)...just comes with owning a N54 powered BMW....
Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bigbadbull
What he is saying the wast gate articulator loosens up and you get waste gate ping/ticking from the engine bay ( no solution yet , BMW tried to fix car with software only to drastically retard the performance and the pinging also still come back,then replace the Waste gate and turbos... it still comes back after some time)

And the HPFP is going to fail ( just accept it , it will happen and may happen more than once)...just comes with owning a N54 powered BMW....
Thanks for the additional color. I am still learning about the car as it was a bit of an impulse and a deal I couldn't pass up! figured with the TT and HPFP it could have some issues so I bought the 100k warranty with the rebates they were offering!

Thanks again, and here's hoping I don't run into problems while I am on any long distance trips
Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

I apologize if I didn't go in to detail. But your N54 comes already with 100K warranty for the HPFP. BMWNA knows about this issue. Just for future reference if your HPFP does fail, make sure they replace it rather than doing a software upgrade. I do not believe at this point they do any software upgrades anymore due to recent class action suit filed against BMWNA.

You will feel vibration from your exhaust after 3 to 5K miles, this is normal. You will also hear some flickering from the engine bay and that's your twin turbo. Other than that the 535's are awesome. Happy driving and BTW, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new ride
Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmwgroup
I apologize if I didn't go in to detail. But your N54 comes already with 100K warranty for the HPFP. BMWNA knows about this issue. Just for future reference if your HPFP does fail, make sure they replace it rather than doing a software upgrade. I do not believe at this point they do any software upgrades anymore due to recent class action suit filed against BMWNA.

You will feel vibration from your exhaust after 3 to 5K miles, this is normal. You will also hear some flickering from the engine bay and that's your twin turbo. Other than that the 535's are awesome. Happy driving and BTW, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new ride
didn't realize the the HPFP was covered that long. Wouldn't have changed my warrenty purchase, given that I'm pretty sure I will beat on her a little bit!

I definetly feel the growl of the exhaust when you get on it a little, I just didn't expect to feel it in the steering wheel after a couple of hundred miles off the lot. Not too worried about it, just seemed odd.

I just dropped it off a the dealer as my sunroof wouldn't close. I think there was too much resistance when it was almost closed and sensed a "pinch" and therfore kept opening. Stupid me, I thought it was a feature like "comfort mode" or something!! Ha Ha!! I told them to look into the vibration while they had it just to be sure. I'm traveling over the holiday so it made sense to have them look it over.

Oh well, love the car and really love the N54!! Thanks for all the help! Great forum and I obviously have a lot to learn about my new ride!

Thanks again!