E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 528i Sunroof Initialization...different than I thought...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Just got 2010 528i and the sunroof closed fine all day then when I got home...it would close then open back up to halfway. Did some searching and found the sunroof initialization was the probable fix. It was indeed the fix, but the procedure I followed via a link on here to a Youtube video did work on my car.

The video had (2) steps: Step 1 - push the sunroof button as you would to tilt the roof...and hold it for about 20 seconds...or until the roof tilts up and then down a bit...then release the button. Step 2 - Again push and hold the button...the roof will begin a series of moves that will end with the roof closed...then you are done.

I could never get Step 1 to work...held the button..roof raised and nothing further.

Here's what worked for me: 1 - Cranked car and let it run. 2 - Push button and hold for about 20 seconds or until roof begins a series of movements ending with the roof closed...then you are done. So basically...I just had to have the car running, then perform Step 2 of the video. I wanted to post this so maybe someone else will have an easier time.

BTW...this car did not have the manual sunroof open/close tool...I bought the car used, so maybe someone took it or whatever. But, I have a '08 535i that I bought new...and it also is missing the tool. Not a huge deal, as the tool is simply a 4mm allen wrench...but most people don't carry on of those in their car. I'm curious...do you guys have that tool in your cars? There's a spot on the first aid kit in the trunk where the tool snaps in.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by Allen
But, I have a '08 535i that I bought new...and it also is missing the tool. Not a huge deal, as the tool is simply a 4mm allen wrench...but most people don't carry on of those in their car. I'm curious...do you guys have that tool in your cars? There's a spot on the first aid kit in the trunk where the tool snaps in.
My 08 535i definitely has the tool. It is Z shaped so it will fit properly. I bought the car (pre-owned) in 2009.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:42 PM
Members

The tool is not there on my 09 528. Guess I need to pick one up.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

There is no step 2. There is only one step for sunroof initialization. With engine on or engine running, press button for sunroof tilt continuously. After 15 seconds, it will tilt up further, continue to press button. The sunroof will go though initialization movements (close, open, close). Release button only after the second close.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i2008 535i Monaco Blue PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7, NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS, iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim

The Z shaped tool was missing in my tool kit. Just use an Allen key of the same size. I tried it; it actually works. Will take a bit more effort, but works OK in an emergency.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Interesting that the tool is missing from new cars...hmmm. I looked online and you can get them for for about $9...but the shipping is like $10. I'm gonna go by the dealer see if they have them. I assume an '09 328i would use the same tool, and manually open the same way?

Also...I have included in my tool kit a "credit card like" flat plastic tool for removing the lighting panel to gain access to the roof motor. You COULD use a screwdriver in a pinch...but I'm SURE you would screw up the lighting panel and roof material trying to get it off.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Allen
Interesting that the tool is missing from new cars...hmmm. I looked online and you can get them for for about $9...but the shipping is like $10.
I got out of bed last night to check the trunk and now I've been searching for this part online this morning. Shipping is insane though. Do you know if this actually came with car?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BSLNoel
Do you know if this actually came with car?
Guess it doesn't...looks like the wrench is optional.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 528i Sunroof Initialization...different than I thought...-option.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Members

Allen--
As a fellow 2010 528i owner, I feel your pain. I guess the pathetic part is that we own a car in which a sunroof--a frickin' sunroof--requires "initialization." I love the driving experience of my E60, but the ancillary features--iDrive, HVAC controls, sunroof, etc--drive me up the wall.

Just venting, so please no flames. Sorry my response was not helpful, but let us know how it goes. I'm certain to revisit this thread in the future if my sunroof becomes "uninitialized."
Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

In US, the BMW tool 54137199324 should be under $9 + tax from your local BMW Center.

Quick Reply: 2010 528i Sunroof Initialization...different than I thought...