E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 BMW 535i Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 03:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Black
Angry 2008 BMW 535i Misfire

Hi Guys,
I am a new member in this group but I always read your comments and your advices.
I was wondering if you guys can help me with my problem. It's kinda long to explain the history so please bare with me.

So I bought my car on April 2014 at 70K miles. After a month of having the car, my check engine light came on and took it to BMW dealership and they said I have 30FF code and they changed my HPFP but the problem didn't go away and I had the same problem of misfiriing and lack of power. So I took it to the dealer that I bought the car from and they sent it to their third party mechanic shop and they changed my spark plugs and injectors and decarbonized my intake. Problem got fixed at the time.

3 months later, under a hard acceleration, I got the "Engine malfunction, reduced power" on my iDrive and I lost power. So pulled over and turned the car back off and back on it went away. This problem happened to happen everytime I'm flooring it and the car would put itself in limp mood. After doing some research and reading about the possibilities of bad Turbos on N54 engines, I took my car to the dealer and told them my turbos have problems. After charging me $220 diagnose fees, they said nothing is wrong with them I would have to change my vacuum lines and that MIGHT take care of my issue, Which turned out not to be the case.
I drove the car moderately until one day that my actual CHECK Engine light came back on and I took it to the mechanic shop of mine and he said I have 30FF, 29E1, 29F5, 29F1. So I told him to start looking at my turbo and he found out that my turbo turbine was broken and I had to change my front Catalytic Converter.
HERE IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING:

So he changed my both turbos and both CATs, BUT after putting the car back together, on the first test drive he found out that I have a major power loss and the car feels like it's missfring! After logging the codes in, he found out that I have misfire on cylinder 5 and 6. So he started digging into that by checking the plugs, coils, intake and injectors! All seemed to be perfectly fine. So he had BMW reflash the computer hoping it has a bug and it's not reading my turbos. Nothing changed! Then he changed the pressure valve and the fuel assembly AGAIN with few other sensors, Believe it or not, nothing changed. So he gave up and sent it to another shop. Now it's been a week, and this new shop is basically checking everything and so far they haven't found anything,

Does anyone here had a same or similar problem? Is there anyone who can help me to actually tell the new shop to look into any specific items?

Please help me out! I have been without my car for the past 2 months and I need your guy's help to at least try to understand the situation better myself.

Thank you in advance
Nima
Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

It is either the turbos, low pressure sensor , vanos or vacuum leak behind the oil filter.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i sport

I am having the exact same problem. I recently had my turbos replaced by BMW San Antonio for waste gate rattle and since I got it back the car has been doing the exact same thing. I think it is a vacuum leak but your saying you replaced all your lines and still nothing? I'm going to do some logging with JB4 in a minute. I'll post an update.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:18 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Black

Originally Posted by J0el07
I am having the exact same problem. I recently had my turbos replaced by BMW San Antonio for waste gate rattle and since I got it back the car has been doing the exact same thing. I think it is a vacuum leak but your saying you replaced all your lines and still nothing? I'm going to do some logging with JB4 in a minute. I'll post an update.
Please let me know if you get any good results. This problem has become a nightmare to me.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:42 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Wow this sounds like a mess. Before the dealership and your mechanic started just replacing parts did they do actual troubleshooting and not make a guess based off codes? Usually there are set things you want to check before replacing major parts.
Old 03-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

I had the same problem misfiring on cylinder 5. Code 30FF and engine malfunction reduced power. replaced one ignition coil and all 6 spark plugs. problem solved. Good luck!

btw. If they diagnosed turbo wastgates were bad. BMW had extended warranty on turbos for 8 years or 82k miles. Mine were bad and they swaped out orig turbos for new ones. Car only had 60k miles.

Last edited by G530; 03-07-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM
New Members

So I was getting the misfire on cylinder 3 while on map 3 (jb4) and replaced the ignition coils and all spark plugs as well and it fixed for a bit. Than I replaced valve cover gasket, because I thought I had a leak and it turned out to be the crank case vent hose that is lose and needs to be replaced. I've yet to do so, could this be causing the cylinder 5 misfire. The bad crank case vent hose?
Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 AM
New Members

I wanna believe it's some kind of boos/vacuum leak. I hooked up my laptop and jb4 and here are some logs. I'm not a pro so hopefully someone can chime in on the jb4 video.... To my understanding putting "future use D" on "99" will fix waste gate rattle. Than start logging and PMW should jump up to 100 and back down to 0 meaning everything is good. Mine doesn't, it stays at 45. Any help is appreciated. Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread. I have videos but won't let me post from my phone. Will upload once I get home
Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Most likely not since it vents to the non-charged air intake side. You do want to replace sooner then later and you might want to just upgrade it to the RB PCV, better oil separator then the stock one. The usual culprit is a coil or plug however sounds like you already did that troubleshooting. Also did you check the plug gap to make sure they were all .022"? Do a log and post it so we can see how the engine was running when it gets a misfire. Also if you switch to map 5 do you get the same issue? If you don't you might want to check your meth setup since it could be a lack of meth causing lower oct fuel at WOT.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:17 PM
New Members

I don't have a meth kit but here are the codes it was showing. I will post a log tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 BMW 535i Misfire-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2008 BMW 535i Misfire