E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 BMW 528xi E60 Stalls - INPA Code: 2D5F DME, internal error: reset P-Code P1615

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 528xi E60
Default 2008 BMW 528xi E60 Stalls - INPA Code: 2D5F DME, internal error: reset P-Code P1615

I have a 2008 528xi E60 with 186,000 miles on it. I live in the Midwest and it's pretty cold out right now but I keep the car in an insulated garage that averages between 40-50 degrees right now. After I pull out of the garage the issue is the car will simultaneously stall and shift to neutral after driving about .75 - 1.5 miles. The next day I tested the car and it stalled after idling in park for about 20 minutes but only after I put the AC on. The day after that the car idled park for about 40 minutes until I put the AC on and then it stalled shortly after. The last attempt of testing I let it idle in park with the AC already on and the car stalled around 35 minutes. I posted a
if you'd like to check it out. The engine just cuts out and it does not seem to jump up or down in RPM's first. Although, it did go up in RPM's once or twice. The car starts back up but it will stall shortly after. The stalling gets worse the more I try to start it. Sometime it will not start with up to 4 times but will the 5th time. Also, the radiator fan comes on full blast during the stall for both the test drive and when it was just idling. However, the fan did not come on after the first stall in all tests. Before the stalling issue occurs the car operates like normal.

I'm getting an engine code 2D5F DME internal error reset (P1615). After researching this issue I think I need a software update but there is not a lot of information out there on this code so I am not really sure. I'm planning on following a
to update the ECU using INPA/WinKFP. Do you think this is the appropriate action for this code? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Error: 1 (1) No .: 11615 O × 2D5F DME, internal error: Reset
error type: 8(4262) SPI error
Readines Flag(17) Test conditions not yet fulfilled
Errorstatus:(34) Error currently present, not yet debounced
MIL - Status:(48) Error does not light up the warning lamp (MIL)
P-Code P1615 Control unit processor SPI bus malfunction

Old 02-08-2020, 12:50 PM
New Members

Anyone?
Old 02-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You have to get your DME fixed. Take it out and fix the injector diodes.

DME company

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-08-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:16 PM
New Members

Okay I will send it to them and let you know how it turns out. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

They have cheaper prices on eBay
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM
New Members

Thanks for letting us know we could buy the repair for the DME (MSV80) through eBay to save a few bucks! We found the guy you recommended on eBay, sent it to him the Monday after talking to you, and 2 weeks later we got a response back.

Unfortunately, Ryan from Sia said the microprocessor failed in the DME and it can’t be repaired. He also mentioned that you can’t rewrite a used one. They refunded our money minus shipping and are in the process of sending it back. So it looks like you were right that the DME was faulty but since it cannot be repaired we're not sure what to do next. We see that there are several used DME’s being sold on eBay. Does a used DME need to be reprogrammed and/or are they reprogrammable?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Craigers
Thanks for letting us know we could buy the repair for the DME (MSV80) through eBay to save a few bucks! We found the guy you recommended on eBay, sent it to him the Monday after talking to you, and 2 weeks later we got a response back.

Unfortunately, Ryan from Sia said the microprocessor failed in the DME and it can’t be repaired. He also mentioned that you can’t rewrite a used one. They refunded our money minus shipping and are in the process of sending it back. So it looks like you were right that the DME was faulty but since it cannot be repaired we're not sure what to do next. We see that there are several used DME’s being sold on eBay. Does a used DME need to be reprogrammed and/or are they reprogrammable?
He should of said couldn't reprogram them. Yes the can be bought and programmed. Heck just buy one and take it to an Indy if you don't know how. It shouldn't be no more than $250. A lot less than buying a new one. I'll try and find you a how to
Old 02-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

You can call this company to see if yours can be copied with a bad microprocessor. This would be your easiest route.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:48 PM
New Members

I sent my DME, security module, and car key to Bimmerscan and Bryce confirmed that it needed to be replaced. He recommended that I search for a used one on car-part.com and lkqonline.com. I ended up buying one from an auto recycler I found on car-part.com for $40 plus $30 for shipping which was a very good deal in comparison to a new one from the dealer which was just under $2000. Bryce said he successfully programmed the used DME and sent everything back to me. I put the DME & security module back in my car, cleared the codes, and then took the car for a test drive while keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, I am sadly reporting that the problem was not fixed. The first 5 minutes of the test drive was all good but then the first issue occurred. The car shifted into neutral while driving but it did not stall so I just put back into drive and continued. The same thing happened about 1/2 mile later where the car shifted to neutral but did not stall, so I put back into drive and continued. After that about 1/8 of a mile later, I was pulling into my driveway the car shifted into neutral and simultaneously stalled. I started the car up and it stalled almost immediately. Then the car would turn over and almost start but stalled on the next 4-5 attempts to start the car.

I used INPA to run the codes and the same one showed up again. 2D5F DME internal failure: reset, P-Code P1615. I reached out to Bryce and he said something in the chassis is shorting out the DME. That I need to determine which one is causing the problems. He said he would start with the (EGS) transmission. Then he asked if I had ISTA but I don't, I have INPA. We texting back and forth but left off there. I asked if we could talk on the phone but he was probably busy so hopefully I can talk with him tomorrow for a few minutes. While I'm waiting I figured I would give you an update and was of course hoping you had some more knowledge you could drop on me because I am not sure what to do next.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds about right. Something made it the DME go out and starting at the transmission is the right thing to do.

Quick Reply: 2008 BMW 528xi E60 Stalls - INPA Code: 2D5F DME, internal error: reset P-Code P1615