E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 550i msport reliability and fuel efficiency?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 06:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 540/6 Sport
Default 2008 550i msport reliability and fuel efficiency?

Hey guys,

looking into upgrading from my e39 540/6 to an e60. From what I've found, the 550s seem to be reliable, but I'm not too sure. I just came across some coolant pipe problem and I don't know what the deal is with that. Is it common and should I be concerned? I noticed that on one of the cars I found, the gearshift lever is different. Does the car in the link below have the smg transmission, and if so, how reliable is that (if it's not an smg, how reliable is it)?

Also, what kind of fuel economy do you all see? From what I've found city mpg ranges from 15/16 all the way to around 20 if you drive with a light foot.

2008 BMW 5 Series 4dr Sdn 550i RWD **Wholesale Prices - Financing for ALL**

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

550s are reliable, meaning not too many expensive parts on it break. However, it will leak all kinds of fluids, as the rubber gaskets only last for about 6-7 years. And the labor to replace some of those reaches the 4-digit range. The coolant pipe problem was a major headache for the earlier 545 models, though that isn't to say the 550 is not affected, I just haven't seen any 550s with this problem. Maybe they just haven't reached that age yet, maybe BMW fixed it.

The 550 you have listed has the optional Sport Automatic transmission, a very nice option to have. It is not SMG, so the only issue you may have is again potential pan and sleeve leaks.

If the seller had all those engine seals and leaks taken care of, then you'll be fine.

You will never see 20 mpg city unless your city driving mainly consists of a nonstop highway. These E60s are heavy, and every start from a stop kills the MPG. Oh, and that Sport Auto transmission will be too much fun to drive around with a light foot!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: Alpine White 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2008

Thats a low price even with 120k. He's right about the leaks. I had timing covers and the seal behind the alternator done under warranty and it was around $3000 for all. Another thing you will want to beware of is the suspension bushings. I'm fighting to find mine now as it feels like the car is wandering on the road... like its windy outside. This is commonly the thrust arm bushing or lower control arm, depending on whos calling it what. Mine however arent showing signs of damage but its going under the knife anyway tomorrow and having everything replaced since I've brought it to the shop so many times, aligned it twice, straightened wheels, etc.

As far as gas mileage: After I had the plugs and 80-100k service done (I had it done early at 81k a few months ago) it's been getting 320-400 miles per tank with mixed driving. So the worst I've personally seen is 19mpg and best of around 26 strictly highway. I doubt you will ride around in sport mode much. I've had sports cars for the past 4 years and all manuals, however this in sport mode is just too clunky and aggressive to be comfortable to use constantly. It's a blast when you are planning on having some fun but daily driving, the aggressive downshift blipping down to 1st at every single stop light gets old very quickly plus while in sport mode the car will never go into 6th gear, so your highway mileage suffers exponentially.

Overall, this is a wonderful car. It has great lines, though i wish the roof line wasnt as tall as it is. I bought this for a client hauler and I've put a whopping 10,000 miles on it since last October. The interior comfort is worlds above the 3 series in my opinion, it drives great when I'm not fighting this annoying and somewhat scary floating/wandering issue, it gets decent gas mileage for a 360hp car (waaaay better than the M5, or else I would have purchased an M5), the sound system is phenomenal for OEM, and it just looks great with the sport suspension, wheels, and aero compared to the non m sport models.

Tires are a little salty if you arent used to buying 19" tires, oil changes are 8 quarts of synthetic, and you will probably get to know your local bmw indy shop... but if you are after a sporty, sleek, and sophisticated car thats a great bang for the buck [especially at that price], go for it!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: E39 540/6 Sport

Originally Posted by BrandonSS
Thats a low price even with 120k. He's right about the leaks. I had timing covers and the seal behind the alternator done under warranty and it was around $3000 for all. Another thing you will want to beware of is the suspension bushings. I'm fighting to find mine now as it feels like the car is wandering on the road... like its windy outside. This is commonly the thrust arm bushing or lower control arm, depending on whos calling it what. Mine however arent showing signs of damage but its going under the knife anyway tomorrow and having everything replaced since I've brought it to the shop so many times, aligned it twice, straightened wheels, etc.

As far as gas mileage: After I had the plugs and 80-100k service done (I had it done early at 81k a few months ago) it's been getting 320-400 miles per tank with mixed driving. So the worst I've personally seen is 19mpg and best of around 26 strictly highway. I doubt you will ride around in sport mode much. I've had sports cars for the past 4 years and all manuals, however this in sport mode is just too clunky and aggressive to be comfortable to use constantly. It's a blast when you are planning on having some fun but daily driving, the aggressive downshift blipping down to 1st at every single stop light gets old very quickly plus while in sport mode the car will never go into 6th gear, so your highway mileage suffers exponentially.

Overall, this is a wonderful car. It has great lines, though i wish the roof line wasnt as tall as it is. I bought this for a client hauler and I've put a whopping 10,000 miles on it since last October. The interior comfort is worlds above the 3 series in my opinion, it drives great when I'm not fighting this annoying and somewhat scary floating/wandering issue, it gets decent gas mileage for a 360hp car (waaaay better than the M5, or else I would have purchased an M5), the sound system is phenomenal for OEM, and it just looks great with the sport suspension, wheels, and aero compared to the non m sport models.

Tires are a little salty if you arent used to buying 19" tires, oil changes are 8 quarts of synthetic, and you will probably get to know your local bmw indy shop... but if you are after a sporty, sleek, and sophisticated car thats a great bang for the buck [especially at that price], go for it!
Very useful information; thanks. I have a family member who actually owns a shop so I'm set there, that's where I've done most of the maintenance on my 540. The PO also owns a bmw shop and I've taken it there as well.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport
Default I could have written this

Originally Posted by BrandonSS

I could have been the one who wrote the above regarding my 2010 Msport. mfr date 09/09. My exception would about driving in Sport mode. In Sport mode it seems to require less throttle and the and the MPG indicator stands a 30 MPG or higher with 27 MPG at 70 miles per hour.

My car was wondering exactly as you described. As it turns out, the lower bushings were cracked. Pumping the brakes while at a crawl, you could see the front wheels move forward about 1.5 in. While on the freeway and driving in the grooves made by truck traffic, the car would try to leap out the lane causing a feeling worthy of Depends.

P.S. All costs for the same repairs were $3,000. At 59,000