E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535xi - first year retrospective

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

So I bought a used 2008 535xi with about 50k miles on it (CPO) about a year ago for $30,000. I thought since I am coming up on a year I would post my thoughts as I reflect back.

First - multiple mechanical problems. 2 or 3 fuel pumps, wiper blades broke, and water pump went

Second - BMW roadside assist never worked. Thank god I have AAA.

Third - BMW dealership is average. They are nice, but never have a loaner when I need one. Thank god we have an extra car.

Fourth - idrive and computer on board are antiquated, radio is bad, ergonomics are questionable at best, and navigation is useless.

AND last

Fifth - I love this car more and more every day. I look forward to driving as much as I can. Seats are perfect, steering wheel is perfect, acceleration and braking are perfect. I just turn the idrive screen and radio off and focus on driving.

This could be the last car I ever own, if it would quit breaking down.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

you went through 2-3 fuel pumps...this is scary...especially since I'm considering getting a 535i non-cpo....although i hear those things are warrantied up to 120k Miles....how long did it take to replace each one on average?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Members

This kinda makes my stomach hurt. I bought a CPO 535xi a few months ago and have put about 10,000 miles on it. But, a persistent misfire, an array of iDrive/nav system problems and a malfunctioning TPM monitor have had the car in the shop pretty frequently.

I guess I'll give it a while, in hopes that these initial glitches just represent an unhappy confluence of events. However, with the exception of a troublesome Fiat X1/9 that I owned back in the 1970s, none of my cars has ever had this much trouble. It's probably been out of commission a total of two or three weeks since March.

Yes, it drives great. Yes, I love it when I'm on the road. But, I live a busy life and have a lot of obligations. Frequent trips to and from the BMW dealership are not what I bargained for and not what I want. Most BMW owners would cringe to hear this, but the Subaru STi I traded for my 535xi was worlds ahead of the BMW in terms of quality and reliability. Faster, too, although much less sophisticated.

The positive in all of this has been the fact that I have an excellent service adviser, the service work has been professional, and they've given me nice loaners. But, what I want is a reliable vehicle that's enjoyable to drive. As of this point, my 535 is not delivering on the former.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, Sport, Premium, Navi, Comfort Access, USB/iPod Bluetooth, Cold Weather Package, Bi Xenon Cornering Headlights

Like you, I too bought a 535i with Sport/Premium/NAV last year, I didn't get an xi model, I wanted the RWD feel. Here are issues I've had in the past nine months of ownership:
- two fuel pumps (its actually in the service dept right now for the second)
- wiper blades do break, why? Only god knows, I had mine replaced after interval service and the blade literally broke a month later
- hood hinge came loose and hood would vibrate (got that fixed, whew)
- NAV disc stops reading intermittently so the right most iDrive screen displays only the trip computer (IDK how to fix this)
- rear shelf rattled (got that fixed)
- BMW assist works, it just takes a LONG time for them to show up
- The dealership service is like you said "average", nothing to brag about. Why they need to put 80 miles on my car to road test the fuel pump is beyond me. They really never seem to have a loaner car without an appointment at least two weeks in advance.
- On a good note, my dealer shuttles me to the nearest enterprise rent-a-car and pays for the car for however long I need it. Usually I'm in and out in 15 minutes.

On a plus side, I LOVE LOVE LOVE driving this car. I'm 28 and its one of the best cars I've ever driven. This is coming from a guy that previously had a 500 hp Supra TT, a 271 RWHP 350Z and an E46 M3 Convertible with Eisenmann Exhaust and 19" DPE's. Its rock solid, handles like a dream, has awesome torque down low and as an LCI car the luxury is amazing, the fit and finish are top notch. From the thick steering wheel to the 20 way seats, I truly love this car and I honestly don't think I could ever see myself getting back into a 3-er. I've had it nine months and every time I get in and drive I enjoy it.

My brother has a 620 hp E55 AMG, it hauls MAJOR ASS, but when he drives my car, he says he misses a Bimmer feel. The AMG is a monster, but it handles like a boat.

So while there are issues, there are definitely more pluses, enough to make me say I'm KEEPING THIS CAR!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

if you are worried about reliability go for a 528xi. My father in law bought one and not a single problem. And I love the 528 and its a great car, but its not the 535. Somthing aboutthe sound and the acceleration.

And I gues my post sounded more negative than I menat it too.

The moral of the story, is that even with all the problems the 535xi is the greatest car in the world (for me).
Old 07-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I've only owned my 06 525i since March. Since I have put about 5k on the odometer, without any problems what so ever, and one oil change. I have taken it on a 140mi road trip like 7 times, and a 200+mi road trip this past weekend. My 5 is a stick shift, and it is an absolute dream to drive- especially on the interstate. I know it is pre-lci, but headlights and tail-lights aside, I really don't mind too much. Sure I would like to do the all the pre LCI-to-LCI retrofits, but I currently have other financial priorities.

When I first bought the car, I was actually scared to take it on a road trip in fear that something might break, and I would have to have it towed back home. But as I drive it more and more, I am building more confidence/respect for it. I know a lot of you guys have problems with fuel pumps going bad... I actually looked for a 525/530, because I feared I would have more problems out of the turbo 6, or the V8. I guess so far, so good right?

@NYAWE60- 20 adjustable seats are AWESOME!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

My CPO warranty will be up next spring, but I think I'm gonna keep the 5. I have emergency savings, so hopefully if anything breaks after the warranty is up I will be able to afford it... It seems like not many guys on here keep their E60's past warranty. But then again, a lot of members around here are older than me, and probably were the first owner's of their E60s.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

I've had my 535XI since October of last year, and I must be the lucky one that never had to take it to the shop so far. Love this car, my wife asked me if I was going to sell this one and get a newer car, what would I get? And I told her a newer 535, nothing else. It's just the best car I've owned so far.
I do have a question, I see that some of you had problems with the fuel pump, what were the sympthoms that determined you to replace the fuel pump? Recently, every once in a while I feel a little hesitation, almost like a misfire, especially when I accelerate a little harder. Could that be the fuel pump not providing enough gas, and causing that split second stall?
Old 07-11-2011, 01:20 PM
New Members

dgjk, sorry to hear about the problems. How many miles did you put on the vehicle during the year? I also have an 08 535xi (6MT), it is around 60k miles. I have put 7k miles on it since April, including a 17 hour 1000mi non-stop run from Houston to Charlotte. I am happy to say zero issues so far.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, sport/ premium package, manual transmission, black on black. No add ons yet. Outstanding shape!

Very good discussion.

I think we agree that the E60 is a great drive, with potentialy serious reliability issues. Still the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Cannot remember who posted that the '06 525i drives like a dream on the highway, so you can even appreciate more how my '05 545i sport package does!

I would like to to try to upgrade to an 08 or '09 550 CPO one of these days...

By the way, can someone englighten me on what is an 'LCI'?

Quick Reply: 2008 535xi - first year retrospective