E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535i vs 535xi - driving difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to get the rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. Assuming I don't want the active steering option (not available on xi), what difference can I expect while driving? I read a recent review which made a comment that the weight balance is better on the rear wheel drive. Is that something a typical driver would notice?

Does anyone know the unit sales difference between the two? It seems like most 5 series on the road are the two wheel drive. Is this only because of a $2,000 price difference or is there another reason?

I live in PA (US) and except for a couple of snowfalls over the winter, the 4 wheel drive might not be worth it unless someone can give me another good reason to have it.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

The xi will feel *slightly* more sluggish than the i. The difference will be small.

It will be more noticable if you get the sport package, as the upgraded suspension is not available.

Keep in mind, if you get the sport package, you need to get a set of winter tires (i or xi). High performance summer tires are not effective on snow and ice.

IMO and in my experience, winter tires will make a bigger difference than AWD. If you live in the mountains or out in the country where snowplows take their own sweet time, get AWD *AND* winter tires. Otherwise, winter tires will solve the problem.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Members

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I will not be getting the sport package. I am coming from a Cadillac DeVille and I'd rather have more of a cushy ride than a stiff ride. I also have a bad back and I'd rather keep the bumps in the road to a minimum.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by carnutpa' post='432852' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I will not be getting the sport package. I am coming from a Cadillac DeVille and I'd rather have more of a cushy ride than a stiff ride. I also have a bad back and I'd rather keep the bumps in the road to a minimum.
If that's the case then get the 535XI. It's a very aggressive soft ride. In other words you have the sport engine and speed but you'll have the cushy ride your looking for and the added security of 4 wheel drive. The power is there regardless but at times the ride, if aggressive, is a little sluggish without the sport package. I still don't feel extremely confident with the car as I did with my 2002-525i with sport pack. That car hugged the road and I would push it around curves just for fun. As far as snow tires I had m22 blizzacks on the 525i and I still panicked when it snowed, hence the 535XI. What I am going to do is purchase a set of 18" wheels and tires for the summer and put the originals back on in the winter. If you do purchase the 535XI without the sports pack make sure you order the comfort seats, I wish I did although the leather seats of the premium pack are great. It was a matter of dollar and cents for me because I bought mine not leased. I still wish I had the sport pack.....

Rick...
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='432871' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:18 PM
If that's the case then get the 535XI. It's a very aggressive soft ride. In other words you have the sport engine and speed but you'll have the cushy ride your looking for and the added security of 4 wheel drive. The power is there regardless but at times the ride, if aggressive, is a little sluggish without the sport package. I still don't feel extremely confident with the car as I did with my 2002-525i with sport pack. That car hugged the road and I would push it around curves just for fun. As far as snow tires I had m22 blizzacks on the 525i and I still panicked when it snowed, hence the 535XI. What I am going to do is purchase a set of 18" wheels and tires for the summer and put the originals back on in the winter. If you do purchase the 535XI without the sports pack make sure you order the comfort seats, I wish I did although the leather seats of the premium pack are great. It was a matter of dollar and cents for me because I bought mine not leased. I still wish I had the sport pack.....

Rick...
I had the same question. Good info
Old 06-07-2007, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by carnutpa' post='432852' date='Jun 6 2007, 09:57 PM
In that case, You really won't feel the difference between the i and xi. Either will feel like something from the F1 circuit next to the DeVille.

As others have mentioned, the xi is probably for you.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Go for the xi, in that case. In the snow, this car is INSANE! With my Blizzaks, the car feels like it's driving on dry pavement.

But to be honest...the best part about owning and driving a BMW is for the Sport Package/Suspension. I came from a 2003 E39 530i Sport and miss that suspension every day, hence the reason I threw in some H&R's in my current car. When this lease is up, I am going back to RWD and will do what other members above mentioned...get a good set of winter wheels with winter tires. That's all you really need, here on east coast.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:54 AM
cvb
Members

No offense, but to say the xi will feel sluggish without the sport package does not make any sense.

The Sport Package does not have any bearing on the speed of the car. On the XI, The sport package adds a sporty steering wheel, comfort seats, and shadowline trim. On the RWD 535i, The Sport Package also includes 18" rims with run flat tires and sport suspension...neither one adds to "speed".

In terms of "sluggishness", the xi weighs about 170 pounds more than the i, so that may have an impact...but note that the 0-60 time on the xi is acutally a 10th faster than on the i. This is due to a gearing difference (see the BMW 5 series brochure tech specs for gearing differences across all the 5s).

In terms of RWD with snow tires being better than AWD with summer performance tires I agree...but AWD with all season tires (which the xi comes with) makes it a toss up...but I really want AWD tracation for rain, not just snow, and in that case the XI with all season tires is the best choice (in my opinion).

I've driven both the xi and the i with sport package and I have to say that while I like the 18" rims and sport package on the "i", I HATE the run flat tires. They are really harsh in my mind.

There's no question that there are tradeoffs, but for me, the best best is an XI...and if I ever move from Washington state to California, I may buy 18" rims + non-run flat performance tires .
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by cvb' post='433004' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:54 AM
In terms of "sluggishness", the xi weighs about 170 pounds more than the i, so that may have an impact...but note that the 0-60 time on the xi is acutally a 10th faster than on the i. This is due to a gearing difference (see the BMW 5 series brochure tech specs for gearing differences across all the 5s).
Really? SWEEEEET! I never knew this. I always figured the i was faster, due to the weight difference. Good to know.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Originally Posted by cvb' post='433004' date='Jun 7 2007, 09:54 AM
No offense, but to say the xi will feel sluggish without the sport package does not make any sense.

The Sport Package does not have any bearing on the speed of the car. On the XI, The sport package adds a sporty steering wheel, comfort seats, and shadowline trim. On the RWD 535i, The Sport Package also includes 18" rims with run flat tires and sport suspension...neither one adds to "speed".

In terms of RWD with snow tires being better than AWD with summer performance tires I agree...but AWD with all season tires (which the xi comes with) makes it a toss up...but I really want AWD tracation for rain, not just snow, and in that case the XI with all season tires is the best choice (in my opinion).

I've driven both the xi and the i with sport package and I have to say that while I like the 18" rims and sport package on the "i", I HATE the run flat tires. They are really harsh in my mind.

There's no question that there are tradeoffs, but for me, the best best is an XI...and if I ever move from Washington state to California, I may buy 18" rims + non-run flat performance tires .
The issue with the XI is the fact that Active Roll stabilization and sport suspension are not included in the options. You can buy the 18" wheels as an option but with the XI you don't get the other 2 options which really affect the ride as a whole, hence the sluggish terminology. That is not to say that the car is not awesome to drive , because it is, I bought one. But, when you want that hug the road ride with very aggressive maneuvering it's not as tight as the (I) with sports pack. I wonder why BMW did not make the XI with the sport suspension does anyone have an answer to that? CMAN, how is your ride with the sport springs, I would be a worried to make such a change as for fear I might somehow void the warranty. I miss the tight feel of the stearing and the grip the road ride. Will that somehow change when I put 18"s on the car? anyone.....

Thanks Rick.......

Quick Reply: 2008 535i vs 535xi - driving difference?