E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 535i Turbos Blown

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2008 535i Turbos Blown

So sadly this past week I started my car and immediately noticed a loss in power when I hit the gas. After accelerating harder the limp message came on, later I opened my hood up and heard a very annoying "tick tick tick tick tick" noise. I ran a scan of the codes and it is reading 30FF low pressure, from what I'm suspecting the turbo has gone out because I could not detect any leaks. I called BMW and scheduled an appointment this weekend and the guy quoted $5200 to replace the turbos, this total is not including tax. The turbos however are under warranty "IF" and only IF the malfunction was caused by malfunctioning wastegates on the turbo itself. They said it would be a $149 diagnostic fee to check if this was the case. So I'm wondering how the hell can they figure out if it is because of the wastegate unless they pull the actual turbos off and physically examine the wastegates on the turbos, I don't see how a SCAN can determine this, sounds like a little BS.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '09 535xi

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
So sadly this past week I started my car and immediately noticed a loss in power when I hit the gas. After accelerating harder the limp message came on, later I opened my hood up and heard a very annoying "tick tick tick tick tick" noise. I ran a scan of the codes and it is reading 30FF low pressure, from what I'm suspecting the turbo has gone out because I could not detect any leaks. I called BMW and scheduled an appointment this weekend and the guy quoted $5200 to replace the turbos, this total is not including tax. The turbos however are under warranty "IF" and only IF the malfunction was caused by malfunctioning wastegates on the turbo itself. They said it would be a $149 diagnostic fee to check if this was the case. So I'm wondering how the hell can they figure out if it is because of the wastegate unless they pull the actual turbos off and physically examine the wastegates on the turbos, I don't see how a SCAN can determine this, sounds like a little BS.

I recently had a similar issue with BMW.
My fuel pump konked out on me and my car went into limp mode, however still drivable. I took my baby to a local Autozone and got the codes checked to confirm it was the fuel pump. Did some research and found out it (as well as the turbos) on these cars have "extended" warranties, 120K or 10 years. With this knowledge I went into BMW confident that they will fix it with no worries, but they gave me the same BS that I have to have a "special diagnostic" test done for $150.00. I told me them I already gotten the codes pulled and yada yada yada they said they have to run their own test, only this time they said if it is in fact the fuel pump the diagnostic test fee will be waived. After only a few minutes they determined it was the fuel pump, a few hours later it got my car back in perfect condition...no charge!!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Oh that sux! Have you looked to see if they can be purchased outside of BMW and have a indy shop repair it? I think paying the diagnosis fee is worth it in cases like this. There is a chance that it falls into the category that gets you a free repair. I'm not exactly clear on the criteria to replace a failed turbo, but if done by the dealer they are paid by BMW or you. I can't imagine they would try to switch it around and have you pay for it when it would be covered by NA. The problem the dealer runs into is that NA sets the criteria for the replacement and if the dealer replaces it and the criteria is not met, then NA will not pay and the dealer gets stuck with these charges. I had a similar situation with them over a tail light.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by JasonBourne
I recently had a similar issue with BMW.
My fuel pump konked out on me and my car went into limp mode, however still drivable. I took my baby to a local Autozone and got the codes checked to confirm it was the fuel pump. Did some research and found out it (as well as the turbos) on these cars have "extended" warranties, 120K or 10 years. With this knowledge I went into BMW confident that they will fix it with no worries, but they gave me the same BS that I have to have a "special diagnostic" test done for $150.00. I told me them I already gotten the codes pulled and yada yada yada they said they have to run their own test, only this time they said if it is in fact the fuel pump the diagnostic test fee will be waived. After only a few minutes they determined it was the fuel pump, a few hours later it got my car back in perfect condition...no charge!!!!!
It's not BS for checking this by them. The code reading by AZ is limited at best. The dealer uses a much more in-depth software to determine what the failure is. I also had the limp mode problem went to AZ and got the code, came home and it converted to "plausible fuel pump failure" Sounded pretty straight forward to me. Dealer looked at it and informed me it was not the fuel pump but rather the low pressure sensor. Replaced it for a cost of ~ 400 and all was ok. Imagine if I had insisted on them changing my fuel pump!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

five grand for two turbos....

WTF BMW, WTF.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go RB's if that's the case
Old 06-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by KyleB
five grand for two turbos....

WTF BMW, WTF.
Agreed. Their Retail prices are insane and on top of that BMW charges like $125/hr for repairs...
At least thats roughly what my local dealer charges. When my 535i water pump went out at 51k - just out of warranty - they quoted me $1350 for repairs.
Hopefully it was caused by the waste-gate and its still covered under warranty (8 years/82,000 miles). Good luck! Otherwise definitely have the turbo's installed at an indy shop.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:01 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by PC Mac Dr
Go RB's if that's the case

If you have to pay...this is the way to go!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:05 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
It's not BS for checking this by them. The code reading by AZ is limited at best. The dealer uses a much more in-depth software to determine what the failure is. I also had the limp mode problem went to AZ and got the code, came home and it converted to "plausible fuel pump failure" Sounded pretty straight forward to me. Dealer looked at it and informed me it was not the fuel pump but rather the low pressure sensor. Replaced it for a cost of ~ 400 and all was ok. Imagine if I had insisted on them changing my fuel pump!

I simply meant its BS because I felt they wouldve charged me the $150.00 regardless...only after I brought up the issue of the fuel pump did they say the fee would be waived if that was in fact the problem. But yes, I definitely think BMW would have to run their own tests and would gladly pay to figure out whats what instead of wasting time and money
Old 06-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Well hopefully wg's were not to spec so that they are covered. However with the 30ff they will first test your vacuum lines to check for leaks and then smoke test the charged air side of your piping. If the snails aren't cover you are better off getting the turbos through a parts search and find a good Indy to swap out. I've heard good things about ABR.

Quick Reply: 2008 535i Turbos Blown