E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 535i ... Possbile Lemon??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
$680 out of pocket for all those repairs is nothing.

I know people tend to get understandably upset and frustrated with car issues like this, and it sucks to go through - but it's much better to make a rational/smart decision about it, rather than an emotional one.
Agreed.
Smart > Emotional.... but it's terribly difficult to not lose confidence in and attraction to the car. It just seems like every day is a possible game of whats next?

Originally Posted by Bimmer5project
I wouldn't get rid of it after doing so much work, now you should have a closer bond. I found, most things you can DIY yourself.
tough to say if the bond is closer. just hoping it stops failing

Last edited by Etil_BigPuNn; 06-09-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Etil_BigPuNn
I always wondered what made people come on these forums and swear they are experts in certain "biz"... either way here's a little info for you. You'll see that these are ca.gov websites... and that vehicles sold "used" with warranty are eligible to be declared lemons.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

Motor Vehicle Warranty and Lemon Law | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General
o man so I always enjoy a little e battle so allow me to inform you. read below.

Does California’s Lemon Law apply to my vehicle?

The Lemon Law covers the following new and used vehicles that come with the manufacturer’s new vehicle warranty:

• Cars, pickup trucks, vans, and SUVs.

• The chassis, chassis cab, and drive train of a motor home.

• Dealer-owned vehicles and demonstrators.

• Many vehicles purchased or leased

primarily for business use.

• Vehicles purchased or leased for personal,

family, or household purposes.

your car no longer has the manufactures "new car" warranty which was 4 yr 50kyes I know the emissions is 80k but none of your problems are attempts to repair the same problem they are all different items each time.

Your car can therefore never be classified as a lemon. If it has a dealer warranty it doesn't qualify , if its a certified bmw and currently has a cpo warranty but not manf. new car warranty..... it doesn't qualify.
Also why you would try to educate me is beyond my comprehension as just like you said im an expert I already know! btw Ive never seen a lemon law case under the emissions warranty.

Ps: I WIN
PSS: you should keep the car still imho

Old 06-10-2013, 11:38 PM
New Members

Default Trust me... after all, I'm an expert!

Originally Posted by MP1472
o man so I always enjoy a little e battle so allow me to inform you. read below.

Ps: I WIN
PSS: you should keep the car still imho
it just goes to show you.... everybody is an expert. You're probably on that crew that found the WMD's right?!

hahaha so now warranty is not warranty?? riiiight.... I'm glad you're not my lawyer. haha you sound like you work at Savage BMW. ahhh that's not funny is it?? You're that idiot SA i had huh?

- Less than 18k mi or 18 months of used ownership..... check
- More than 30 days in the shop...... check
- 1 or more warranty repair...... check
- 1 shifty lawyer, that luckily for me, knows more than you.... check, annnd double check

Its been only 3 "working days" and my shifty lawyer already has BMW NA ready to repurchase my car. I had to send copies of my sales contracts, registration, and proof of monthly payments to BMW NA this morning so they can properly compute my buyback amount.

P.S. - I'll keep you posted, cant wait to post pics of my buyback check!!

P.P.S. - Either way... glad I don't have to keep the bucket of bolts they call the N54 E60... in which case ill gladly sell it you.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

^^smart move. glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

How much did it cost to hire a lawayer for this case if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my car's warranty is up next year.. it's out the door. Great cars but I'm not going to drive it out of warranty. ;D Not sure if that helps any but I'd move on after your warranty (extended) is done. Lots of people own them out of warranty and that's great.. but my car is just about to hit 26,000 miles and I've already had a fuel injector go bad and HPFP. The latter is covered no matter what, but the code wasn't being thrown till 3 days later and they spent a day replacing/fixing other stuff that would have cost my money otherwise too.. no thanks to out of warranty. ;D
Old 06-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Members

Lemon depends on states interpretation.

By NY law, no. You need the same problem 3 times or 2 months straight in a shop.

Now as for your problems, these are normal wear and tear items on the N54.

Vacuum lines are a well documented item that needs fixing. For your actuator/wastegate/turbo issues, most stealerships do things progressively at your expense. You should have had the turbos replaced to begin with. Fuel injectors on this engine are a known problem and unfortunately very common. Transmission oil cooler lines cracking wear and tear but also can be caused by rough idling/running.

Now with all that being said, my recommendation to you is that you find a great independent shop that accepts your warranty and utilize them instead of the stealership. Otherwise, you will see them plenty of times. The stealership only fixes it when it fails. A good independent can point it all out before it does.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

I bought 550i for my wife with less than 17k miles on it. The first thing I did is purchased USB programmer and installed DIS/INSPA on my macbook pro win 7 partition. DIS took forever to get up and running. I was able to program comfort access key and troubleshoot DMTL pump problem (I posted steps in DIY section as I didn't find one). All BMW owners should have at least error code reader/scanner. Do a little homework before you take your car to stealership/indy shop.
One of the reasons I didn't buy 535i were turbo's. It is great to have that low end torque but when it comes to reliability...

The question is what car OP is going to replace 535i with. I am curious if there is something else that offers comparable sport/performance balance. I am thinking about either getting 550i E60 for myself or perhaps go for luxury with F01 750i (turbo engine ) but I am afraid 7 series (especially 750Li) is for those that sit in the back. I test drove previous 750i (20" rims) and 750li (22" rims, 08 and 06 respectively) a few years ago and I got to tell you those extra 5.5 inches in long wheelbase version make it drive like a school bus. It is not a drivers car, forget about the ultimate part.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
^^smart move. glad it worked out for you.
Yuuup, you and me both. Still waiting to hear back.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom
How much did it cost to hire a lawayer for this case if you don't mind me asking?
Luckily for me, BMW covers all attorneys fees when dealing with lemon cases. According to my attorney ill see every penny of my settlement amount. Like I said, still waiting tho.

Quick Reply: 2008 535i ... Possbile Lemon??