E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 535i Electrical/Battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

"As is" is how it goes here as well, but by law the following applies:

Used Car Warranty
Since October 1987, the <a href="http://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/ucarwarr.pdf" style="color: rgb(17, 100, 162); ">Connecticut Used Car Warranty Law has covered certain used cars purchased from licensed Connecticut dealers. The law covers mechanical and operational defects at the time of purchase, if the owner has met all of the following conditions:
  1. The owner has paid at least $3,000 for the vehicle.
  2. The vehicle is six years old or less.
  3. The vehicle is used for personal purposes or family or household use.
The dealer must repair the vehicle at no charge up to 30 days (or 1,500 miles) after the purchase date if the owner paid at least $3,000, and up to 60 days (or 3,000 miles) after the purchase date if the owner paid at least $5,000.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Unfortunately, I see nothing like that in Texas law after research. However, I have sent an inquiry into the dealer. The dealer is quite reputable and I had a very good purchase experience with them. They barely had the car on the lot from auction, and given what I've read in the forums it is quite possible that they weren't aware of the issue. However, I'm going to press a little to see what happens. Ultimately, however, I don't mind spending the $ on a new battery if it brings reliability to the car and confidense to my wife. Overall, this car is tremendous and I got a great deal on it even with the price of a new battery.

Just heard back from the dealer, and there is nothing they can do. I'll just take care of it myself tomorrow, and be back to enjoying our ultimate driving machine!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Unfortunately, wear and tear items are not covered by a used car warranty (or aftermarket warranty for that matter). You can negotiate these items prior to the sale but not after the fact.

Once you drive off the lot with the car, you are subject to the dealer's generosity.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MrTantrum
Did you have it "programmed" by a dealer/autoshop after you installed it?
Oh god lets not start with the program battery garbage please.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

Just go to Autozone and switch out the battery with an aftermarket one, don't bother spending 4x the cost for an OEM one at the stealership.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+1 on the Autozone. They have the gold battery with the exact match. However, there system says to use the silver which is incorrect. Anyway, they gold battery so far has worked perfectly. I had all of the same issues as the OP. After being informed by the dealer of the cost to replace it (684.00) it was a no brainer!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Just got back from Autozone with a replaced battery. I decided to go with the Duralst Gold 95R-DLG instead of the Duralast 49-DL even though it was $60 more. Basically, I was worried about the smaller battery not staying stationary enough, the vent tube would not reach, and it had a 1 yr less replacement warranty (only 2 + 5 additional prorated).

The 95R-DLG is the exact size of the OEM, the case was shaped exactly the same, and heck, it even had a "made in Germany" sticker on it. Also, it comes with a full 3 year replacement with an additional 5 year prorated. Hopefully, this will be the last battery that I ever pay for to go into this car.

After putting it in, the car started like never before and even all of my idrive settings were maintained except for the time.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice to this new BMW owner!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by MrTantrum
Just got back from Autozone with a replaced battery. I decided to go with the Duralst Gold 95R-DLG instead of the Duralast 49-DL even though it was $60 more. Basically, I was worried about the smaller battery not staying stationary enough, the vent tube would not reach, and it had a 1 yr less replacement warranty (only 2 + 5 additional prorated).

The 95R-DLG is the exact size of the OEM, the case was shaped exactly the same, and heck, it even had a "made in Germany" sticker on it. Also, it comes with a full 3 year replacement with an additional 5 year prorated. Hopefully, this will be the last battery that I ever pay for to go into this car.

After putting it in, the car started like never before and even all of my idrive settings were maintained except for the time.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice to this new BMW owner!
I am not sure if I registered my battery or not... I have the software to do this and it's not really clear to me if everything did what it was supposed to do... Anyway, this is all that I will do and if it fails, I am sure it will do it within the year and I will go and swap it out... I am still choked as to the price the STEALERSHIP wanted to put in a battery with only a two year warranty...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by louisrai
I had the same thing with my 08 535i. When I bought the car in 2011, the battery failed many times, I had to replace it on my own, that costed about $150. However, I do have a question here: is the Battery Vent Tube necessary? I didn't put it up.
You *MUST* install the vent tube. The BMW battery is in an enclosed space. Batteries give off Hydrogen gas as a byproduct of charging. Hydrogen gas is explosive. Overcharging makes more gas. Worst case, you could have a gas build up in the trunk and a spark and an explosion.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by twh
You *MUST* install the vent tube.
The BMW battery is in an enclosed space. Batteries give off Hydrogen gas as a byproduct of charging. Hydrogen gas is explosive. Overcharging makes more gas. Worst case, you could have a gas build up in the trunk and a spark and an explosion.
Yikes ...

Quick Reply: 2008 535i Electrical/Battery