E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 528xi Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help

I'm considering the 528xi Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Headlights and IPOD & USB adapter. No need for Navigation.

Hope someone is willing to share there experiences?

Would like to know how long it would take to get?

Wondering what everyone else is paying?

Thanks,

Disco672
Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by disco672' post='417456' date='Apr 24 2007, 07:27 PM
Help

I'm considering the 525xi Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Headlights and IPOD & USB adapter. No need for Navigation.

Hope someone is willing to share there experiences?

Would like to know how long it would take to get?

Wondering what everyone else is paying?

Thanks,

Disco672
Where you at?
I'm not sure there is a 2008 525xi in states.
They have replaced 525xi w/ 528xi.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='417473' date='Apr 24 2007, 11:06 PM
Where you at?
I'm not sure there is a 2008 525xi in states.
They have replaced 525xi w/ 528xi.
You're right I'm an idiot I meant 528xi

Sorry
Old 04-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by disco672' post='417479' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:16 PM
You're right I'm an idiot I meant 528xi

Sorry
I bought and have been delivered a LCI (USMY '08) 528i. Sport, premium, CW, Xenon, L7, Ipod adapter. The car is quick, nimble, handles corners like an animal, and my 18" 245 40's are fantastic (run flats are no bother to me). I came from an E39 525i, so I picked up 30 extra HP with extra weight, but still over 1 second faster 0-60, which I can feel. In short, I ABSOLUTELY love the car, and wish for the first time that I had a longer commute. The car is tight, sporty, and lux on the inside. The xi, even with the sport package, carries 17 inch wheels, and you lose all of the sport suspension benefits of the sport package as they are removed from the xi sport package, and in turn you lose a lot of the true 'sport' feel (the car of course is still sporty as it has great weight distribution and engineering). But the loss of the sport package suspension features is significant, IMHO. The xi is also heavier, so it's a bit slower. My question is, do you really need AWD? A great set of winter tires can get you through anything the xi with all season tires can get you through (sometimes even more). I'd consider getting the i over the xi, unless you truly need the AWD or unless the sport feel isn't important to you. The xi is an amazing car, and I have read so many wonderful things about the AWD system, but if the sport feel is important, I'd get an i and use the extra $$ for a nice set of OEM winter rims and snow tires. JMHO of course! Best of luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='417632' date='Apr 25 2007, 09:24 AM
I bought and have been delivered a LCI (USMY '08) 528i. Sport, premium, CW, Xenon, L7, Ipod adapter. The car is quick, nimble, handles corners like an animal, and my 18" 245 40's are fantastic (run flats are no bother to me). I came from an E39 525i, so I picked up 30 extra HP with extra weight, but still over 1 second faster 0-60, which I can feel. In short, I ABSOLUTELY love the car, and wish for the first time that I had a longer commute. The car is tight, sporty, and lux on the inside. The xi, even with the sport package, carries 17 inch wheels, and you lose all of the sport suspension benefits of the sport package as they are removed from the xi sport package, and in turn you lose a lot of the true 'sport' feel (the car of course is still sporty as it has great weight distribution and engineering). But the loss of the sport package suspension features is significant, IMHO. The xi is also heavier, so it's a bit slower. My question is, do you really need AWD? A great set of winter tires can get you through anything the xi with all season tires can get you through (sometimes even more). I'd consider getting the i over the xi, unless you truly need the AWD or unless the sport feel isn't important to you. The xi is an amazing car, and I have read so many wonderful things about the AWD system, but if the sport feel is important, I'd get an i and use the extra $$ for a nice set of OEM winter rims and snow tires. JMHO of course! Best of luck.

Where you able to negotiate off MSRP? Also what is the LCI? Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by disco672' post='417672' date='Apr 25 2007, 10:12 AM
Where you able to negotiate off MSRP? Also what is the LCI? Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks
Not ignorance at all--just new language to learn. LCI is Life Cycle Impulse, which is a fancy way of referring to the "facelift" that the E60 received in March '07. In the US, the "facelift" is the model year 2008 5 series. So if you are talking about a 2008 E60 5 series in the US, it has received the "facelift." The facelift consists most importantly of 2 new engines/models in the US: 535i and 528i, as well as some very minor exterior changes and some interior updating and improving.

In regard to negotiation, one valuable tip I learned on this forum is to always negotiate up from invoice, as opposed to negotiating down from MSRP. Edmunds.com can give you all the invoice prices for these cars (letting you know exactly what the dealer pays), and then offer money over invoice. I paid $900 over invoice. I was pretty happy with that deal.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='417683' date='Apr 25 2007, 11:39 AM
Not ignorance at all--just new language to learn. LCI is Life Cycle Impulse, which is a fancy way of referring to the "facelift" that the E60 received in March '07. In the US, the "facelift" is the model year 2008 5 series. So if you are talking about a 2008 E60 5 series in the US, it has received the "facelift." The facelift consists most importantly of 2 new engines/models in the US: 535i and 528i, as well as some very minor exterior changes and some interior updating and improving.

In regard to negotiation, one valuable tip I learned on this forum is to always negotiate up from invoice, as opposed to negotiating down from MSRP. Edmunds.com can give you all the invoice prices for these cars (letting you know exactly what the dealer pays), and then offer money over invoice. I paid $900 over invoice. I was pretty happy with that deal.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll be paying cash do you think they would haggle even more? I understand they need to make a profit but I also don't want to raked over the coals. Also, if I want specific options will they have to order me a car? Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by disco672' post='417748' date='Apr 25 2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll be paying cash do you think they would haggle even more? I understand they need to make a profit but I also don't want to raked over the coals. Also, if I want specific options will they have to order me a car? Thanks in advance
I paid cash as well. Obviously you can't get the car for invoice, even with the kick backs the dealer gets from BMW NA, and I read of someone "who knew someone" who spent $700 over invoice. But that's not confirmed. When this issue came up not too long ago, it seemed like $900 over was a good deal.

As for options, I think there's a chance BMW can find the car you want already produced, but as these cars are so new, that car may be along a production line right now or may not have the exact features you want (you may need to be a bit flexible). There isn't very much dealer inventory around, so you may have to order one from one of the cars your dealer has in a production slot. Either way, unless the chance gods are with you, getting your '08 5 will result in a wait.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw093' post='417766' date='Apr 25 2007, 04:55 PM
I paid cash as well. Obviously you can't get the car for invoice, even with the kick backs the dealer gets from BMW NA, and I read of someone "who knew someone" who spent $700 over invoice. But that's not confirmed. When this issue came up not too long ago, it seemed like $900 over was a good deal.

As for options, I think there's a chance BMW can find the car you want already produced, but as these cars are so new, that car may be along a production line right now or may not have the exact features you want (you may need to be a bit flexible). There isn't very much dealer inventory around, so you may have to order one from one of the cars your dealer has in a production slot. Either way, unless the chance gods are with you, getting your '08 5 will result in a wait.
I picked up my '08 528xi on Monday and love it so far. I got Monaco Blue/Gray Leather, a striking color combo. As for options, I went with the premium and cold weather packages, along with nav, sat radio, xenon, pdc, and auto transmission. I live in eastern PA, and really wanted awd--I drive my kids around a lot. I was looking to buy a family car that's fun to drive, not a hot rod, and that's just what I got.

I traded a manual 3-series, so this car has a very different feel. It's more smooth and luxurious. Because of the auto and awd, it's not as quick off the line, but it has lots of power at speed. And the power builds much more smoothly. The sport package was tempting, but I went without. I don't regret it. The ride is much smoother--which was my goal--and yet I still feel plenty of road. Frankly, I'm not sure you'd get your money's worth out of the sport suspension in an awd car. I paid $1500 over invoice, cash. Hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by billbmw' post='417808' date='Apr 25 2007, 06:27 PM
I picked up my '08 528xi on Monday and love it so far. I got Monaco Blue/Gray Leather, a striking color combo. As for options, I went with the premium and cold weather packages, along with nav, sat radio, xenon, pdc, and auto transmission. I live in eastern PA, and really wanted awd--I drive my kids around a lot. I was looking to buy a family car that's fun to drive, not a hot rod, and that's just what I got.

I traded a manual 3-series, so this car has a very different feel. It's more smooth and luxurious. Because of the auto and awd, it's not as quick off the line, but it has lots of power at speed. And the power builds much more smoothly. The sport package was tempting, but I went without. I don't regret it. The ride is much smoother--which was my goal--and yet I still feel plenty of road. Frankly, I'm not sure you'd get your money's worth out of the sport suspension in an awd car. I paid $1500 over invoice, cash. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I'm also in Eastern PA, So it looks like anywhere between 700 to 1500 over invoice should be the ticket.
So I guess the dealers are quite accomdating if they don't have something you want? Also, How long did you wait for your car?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: 2008 528xi Questions