E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 528i Engine light comes on after oil change & runs rough

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012 | 06:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
No I am not calling you stewpid. Sorry if you took it the wrong way or took offense to that statement. I won't apologize for you misunderstanding or me being who I am. I am saying to take it to a BMW dealer for something so silly that can be checked in 30 seconds would not be a smart thing. Surely you could agree with me on that. What o-ring are you referring to by the way? How about you look at this set of questions, answer them for yourself and then look for the logical approach.

What is happening and when?
When did it last work correctly?
Has anything changed since it last worked correctly?
What changed?
No worries, just misunderstanding I guess. Car was running fine until yesterday when I changed the oil for the first time since buying the car. I read the book and it said 5-30 for my temp range. put in 6.5 qts of castrol synth, new filter, put cap back on to spec w/ torqe. started eng and the rev/vibration started after 8 mins. now notice slight increase in tac 100-200 rpm when I feel "vibration". Should I change oil to 0-30? Only change is the slight rev and eng light came on. I checked idrive again and all systems show ok. car just rolled 40k. referring to o-ring on cap to filter
Old 06-18-2012 | 06:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

well like I said. your oil cap is probably not on right. There is no o-ring on the oil cap. There is a gasket on the valve cover where the oil cap goes but i've never seen one of those fail. I would again suggest you take the oil cap of and reinsert it. There is no way you can know measure the torque for it. It goes on, turns and then stops. So redo it. You answered the questions above. The only thing that makes sense is that you have a vaccum leak because your oil cap isn't on correct.

According to everything I read, it has nothing to do with anything else. oil, weight etc... Unless you're just one of those guys with bad luck and if you are I assume living your entire life with bad luck you'd be able to figure out that this is one of those cases.
Old 06-19-2012 | 09:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Avoid warranty? Do you have proof of this? Clearly if you read the site you listed you can draw conclusions which are contrary to your view.

OP- you probably forgot to put oil cap on correctly. Recheck. I know you have CPO but come on paying $50 deductible for a stupid mistake is really stupid.
not avoid, void. it will void warranty. end of story. it has happened to me first hand. i was borrowing my friends 135i and i did an oil change with royal purple that he handed me. after 7.5k miles i brought the car into mckenna bmw and they tested the oil and because it was not one of the specified LL-01 oils, the 135i's factory 4yr/50k warrranty was flagged and thus, pretty much voiding all existing warranty.
Old 06-19-2012 | 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

Originally Posted by Jetman757
No worries, just misunderstanding I guess. Car was running fine until yesterday when I changed the oil for the first time since buying the car. I read the book and it said 5-30 for my temp range. put in 6.5 qts of castrol synth, new filter, put cap back on to spec w/ torqe. started eng and the rev/vibration started after 8 mins. now notice slight increase in tac 100-200 rpm when I feel "vibration". Should I change oil to 0-30? Only change is the slight rev and eng light came on. I checked idrive again and all systems show ok. car just rolled 40k. referring to o-ring on cap to filter
did you put oil on the filter? if i just put a dry filter in without putting some oil on the filter its possible it was just a rough start. either way, i highly suggest that you switch to a bmw LL-01 oil. castrol 0w-30 EUROPEAN FORMULA is prob the best out there IMO. remember to use the EUROPEAN FORMULA.
Old 06-19-2012 | 05:49 PM
Members

well like I said. your oil cap is probably not on right. There is no o-ring on the oil cap. There is a gasket on the valve cover where the oil cap goes but i've never seen one of those fail. I would again suggest you take the oil cap of and reinsert it. There is no way you can know measure the torque for it. It goes on, turns and then stops. So redo it. You answered the questions above. The only thing that makes sense is that you have a vaccum leak because your oil cap isn't on correct.

According to everything I read, it has nothing to do with anything else. oil, weight etc... Unless you're just one of those guys with bad luck and if you are I assume living your entire life with bad luck you'd be able to figure out that this is one of those cases.
"There is no o-ring on the oil cap" look again (at red arrow), "There is no way you can know measure the torque for it" wrong again, there are numbers on the cap (see picture)to set torque wrench by, of course when you use the right tools. The problem was that the oil fill cap was on 3/4 closed allowing air. Once completely closed issue went away. Thanks to all for advice. BTW I dont have bad luck........maybe bad
Attached Thumbnails 2008 528i Engine light comes on after oil change & runs rough-imag0774a.jpg   2008 528i Engine light comes on after oil change & runs rough-imag0776a.jpg   2008 528i Engine light comes on after oil change & runs rough-imag0778.jpg   2008 528i Engine light comes on after oil change & runs rough-imag0779.jpg  
Old 06-19-2012 | 08:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Jetman757
"There is no o-ring on the oil cap" look again (at red arrow), "There is no way you can know measure the torque for it" wrong again, there are numbers on the cap (see picture)to set torque wrench by, of course when you use the right tools. The problem was that the oil fill cap was on 3/4 closed allowing air. Once completely closed issue went away. Thanks to all for advice. BTW I dont have bad luck........maybe bad

i'm pretty sure acthung was reffering to the oil "fill" cap. not the oil filter cap.

good to hear it was a simple fix.
Old 06-20-2012 | 08:40 AM
Members

This was a good read. I'm gonna go home and retighten my filter cap. Maybe this will fix my fluctuating engine humming issue too.

Oh, can someone also tell me the torque for the cap? I tried searching but couldn't find. I know it's a specific number.
Old 06-21-2012 | 04:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by deltabox
This was a good read. I'm gonna go home and retighten my filter cap. Maybe this will fix my fluctuating engine humming issue too.

Oh, can someone also tell me the torque for the cap? I tried searching but couldn't find. I know it's a specific number.
The cap has 25.5 NM which comes out to 5 lbs (5.73 lbs)