E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2008 528i Battery Swap, Orange County CA Shop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy folks.

Just wondering if I could hit up the local Orange County residents for a good BMW shop that can do a battery swap?

Called the dealers and they wanted 500-800 dollars to make the swap. Thought that price was extremely ridiculous and wanted to know if anyone on here had better luck at a non-dealer mechanic.

From the research I've done if I install the exact same battery into my car the only thing I need to do is re-register the battery to the car?

Has anyone had any luck doing this swap on their own? If so any advice/tips/tricks to give out?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Lots of folks have done their own battery swaps, me included. There are many compatible batteries, exact physical replacements. The jury's out on the "registering" step. Some have the dealer do it. Others have an "indy" do it. Others, me included, don't do it at all. I've yet to see any definitive evidence that not "registering" does any harm.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
New Members

I replaced my 2006 530i battery with one from the dealer myself and didn't program it. So far it's worked fine for the last 6 months or so.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Members

Did you guys do anything special when swapping the battery out?

Other than disconnect the negative terminal, then positive, then reconnect the positive then negative terminals?

I've read that it's better to link another battery up to the car to prevent loss of system settings etc?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

These guys can register your battery for you. I had my CCC, after market battery and IPS replaced by them about a year ago.

http://solelybimmer.com/
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Members

Thanks BIM530I!

I'll definitely give them a ring tomorrow.

Cheers

Originally Posted by BIM530I
These guys can register your battery for you. I had my CCC, after market battery and IPS replaced by them about a year ago.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by pandafit
Did you guys do anything special when swapping the battery out?

Other than disconnect the negative terminal, then positive, then reconnect the positive then negative terminals?

I've read that it's better to link another battery up to the car to prevent loss of system settings etc?
Nothing special. I had a charger connected under the hood, but it dropped offline when I disconnected the Neg terminal, so there was no power during the swap. Had to reset the clock. I also had the Active Steering warning, but it cleared itself on the next restart.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by BIM530I

Yeah, SoleyBimmer is a great choice, Chad and the guys there are great - and reasonable. They and Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa will usually register the new battery for free. So go buy a battery (there are many of suggestions other than OEM) and have them register it.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Premium/Sport

Search the threads. Put your own AZ Duralast (or other) in for about $160 and 10 minutes of work. Heck, most AZ's will install for you.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

Pjinca,

It was you who referred them to me. Thanks again, man!

Originally Posted by pjinca
Yeah, SoleyBimmer is a great choice, Chad and the guys there are great - and reasonable. They and Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa will usually register the new battery for free. So go buy a battery (there are many of suggestions other than OEM) and have them register it.

Quick Reply: 2008 528i Battery Swap, Orange County CA Shop?