E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 BMW iDrive rebooting while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 BMW iDrive rebooting while driving

I was driving when I suddenly hit a huge pothole a couple days ago. as soon as I hit the pothole my iDrive/screen turned off and rebooted on me and ever since that its just been randomly rebooting while im driving and sometimes wont even come back on. never had this problem before. Anyone know what the issue might be? Ive already tried the 3 button reset but no luck.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Do you have Navigation? Try taking out the Nav DVD for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I've had DVD copies that get old and make the iDrive reboot.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:44 PM
Members

Yes I do have Navi, I'll go ahead and pull the DVD out like you said and see how that works out for me. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by arain812
I was driving when I suddenly hit a huge pothole a couple days ago. as soon as I hit the pothole my iDrive/screen turned off and rebooted on me and ever since that its just been randomly rebooting while im driving and sometimes wont even come back on. never had this problem before. Anyone know what the issue might be? Ive already tried the 3 button reset but no luck.

Had the same issue one month ago. I think your CCC unit might be gone.

My first symptom was a surprising SOS malfunction warning with high battery drain message. The timing was no long after putting on my winter RFTs, which are very hard. The extra harshness probably busted the CCC which is said to get loose circuits or connections over time thru cooing and heating. I tried the reset and it work only for one day. I hit a pothole and the idrive rebooted and worked for only one more hour.

I ordered a refurb unit from getBMWparts for $700. Did the install, not bad. I just have to get it programmed (Logic 7, PDC, and voice command are not working) when I find the time. Estimates range from $300 to $200 or so.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 PM
Members

yea I feel like it's the ccc as well. I was driving today and it was working perfectly fine, i went to the store and when i returned it didnt boot back up. Then i pushed the eject button on the DVD and it turned on. Any ideas if it may be the MPM that's in the trunk?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by arain812
yea I feel like it's the ccc as well. I was driving today and it was working perfectly fine, i went to the store and when i returned it didnt boot back up. Then i pushed the eject button on the DVD and it turned on. Any ideas if it may be the MPM that's in the trunk?
Did you get water in there?

If its the CCC, you'll eventually see the unit no longer working. Mine failed and the fan kept running draining the battery. I'd check when shutting down the car that the CCC fan shuts off.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the fan behind the CCC? Read the fault codes, it might be overheating as a result of fan failure. After driving 20-30mins and turning the car off you should hear the fan working.

You can check it with INPA by reading the temperature of the CCC module, if it goes above 45-50 degrees the fan should start working and thus you should hear it. You can also read its RPMs via INPA.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Members

I havent really noticed the fan running or not, im going to check tomorrow and see if I can hear it after shutting the car off. The ccc hasnt completely failed on me just yet, it'll still randomly turn on and off. I took the DVD out so it wasnt the faulty DVD issue because it didnt solve the problem.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:43 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is a heating problem it will always start in the mornings and afterwards restart on a regular basis.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Members

So i got to the point in noticing that the fan is actually running. This morning when I left for work the iDrive turned on and reset after like 15min one time but was working for the next 35min when i got to work. when i got off, i went back in my car and it didnt actually boot back up and about 2-3 min later the fan just came on, nothing else, no screen and the buttons weren't working either. Then when i got home, i shut off the car and the fan was still running. So basically i have the same problem as CVTBenhogan and probably just need to replace the CCC.

Quick Reply: 2006 BMW iDrive rebooting while driving