E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 550 creaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Originally Posted by MAK' post='219463
I have 2500 miles and I have noticed creaking in my car. Im sure that these damn run-flats have contributed to most of these. I have read about the door seals. Shouldnt my car already have the new and improved door seals, its an october 06 build. Also, what do the door seals consist of, do they go around the perimeter of the whole door? Other than the creaking, no problems at all. I love this car!!!
This seems to have been a problem with the E60 since birth and by your comments seems to be still with us. No doubt you will have seen the many postings and comments about this subject within the site and the debateable success or otherwise of fitting the "improved door seals" . In my own case this put me off getting my dealer to replace my old seals under the warranty with all the hassle involved. I have however just tried a tip posted by someone else in the forum. I put a small amount of ordinary dish washing liquid(about half a teaspoon)on to a damp cloth and wiped round all the door
seals in particular the felt strips then another wipe round with a wet cloth to remove excess lather. This was followed by using an old towel to dry off the seals and three weeks later No Creaks! Hope this helps and thanks to our friend who gave us this idea.It seems to work and easier than getting the seals replaced.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info
Old 01-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

Originally Posted by MAK' post='219463' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:25 AM
I put a small amount of ordinary dish washing liquid(about half a teaspoon)on to a damp cloth and wiped round all the door seals in particular the felt strips then another wipe round with a wet cloth to remove excess lather. This was followed by using an old towel to dry off the seals and three weeks later No Creaks!
If you do this, make sure that you do not wipe any waxed painted surface with the dish washing liquid. The detergent strips off all the wax.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='219602
I put a small amount of ordinary dish washing liquid(about half a teaspoon)on to a damp cloth and wiped round all the door seals in particular the felt strips then another wipe round with a wet cloth to remove excess lather. This was followed by using an old towel to dry off the seals and three weeks later No Creaks!
If you do this, make sure that you do not wipe any waxed painted surface with the dish washing liquid. The detergent strips off all the wax.
[/quote]
I think the reason it works is it is stripping off the wax. From what I have heard waxing the door seal area is the culprit, or contributes to the problem.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219273
Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219250' date='Jan 4 2006, 11:21 PM
I have 2500 miles and I have noticed creaking in my car. Im sure that these damn run-flats have contributed to most of these. I have read about the door seals. Shouldnt my car already have the new and improved door seals, its an october 06 build. Also, what do the door seals consist of, do they go around the perimeter of the whole door? Other than the creaking, no problems at all. I love this car!!!
Why do you think the runflats have contributed to the creaking ? Hard ride ?
Yes, the runflats are like metal boots. It definitely gives the car a harder ride.
[/quote]

I'm getting really pissed about both the steel tires (RF's) and the sqeaks.

I noticed also a beginning sqeak in the left front door (close to my ear).

I'm now driving with 225/55 16" non RF soft winter tires but driving in the city
over some tram bar makes the car rattle as hell.
It feels like there's no suspension.

I suppose the RF Dunlops has already demolished the suspension?

My dealer will be getting hell!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by streak' post='219455' date='Jan 5 2006, 03:08 PM
The WD means water displacement. It does have a lubricant properties which is why it stops squeeks and releases rusty nuts and bolts.

However, being a petroleum distilate, I would not use it on my car's leather or rubber surfaces.

I would use a good rubber/leather cleaner, followed by a silicone lubricant applied using a cloth.

Why we should have to do this on an E60 beats me but I am getting a sore head from running the radio too loud!!

Streak
Hi Streak,
Have your creaks increased big-time this week with all the rain?
Old 01-05-2006, 11:10 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by SolanNo1' post='219602
[/quote]
Yeah!... thanks I have seen the results of this when after a few months of using dish washing liquid to wash his Porsche 911 my brother wondered why his paint did not shine anymore
Old 01-05-2006, 12:59 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MAK' post='219635
Originally Posted by MAK' post='219463' date='Jan 5 2006, 08:25 AM
Yeah!... thanks I have seen the results of this when after a few months of using dish washing liquid to wash his Porsche 911 my brother wondered why his paint did not shine anymore
[/quote]

Yes but he's saying using it on the seals. Nothing to do with the paintwork.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Contributors

I purchased Dunlop Winter Sport M 225 50 17 (runflats of course, even though I was told that non-runflats were available....and they were not) my dealer mounted on my 17" factory wheels and my 530 xi creaks like a mother when it's below 10 degrees. This blows large chunks. No problem with factory non-runflat Conty's. Did I spend 59K to have my car creak like a GM shit-box???? I don't think so but sure looks that way!

Does BMW have so much tied up in this runflat thing that they cannot see the forest through the trees???? Time to cut & run boys.

For sure if my dealer cannot put non-runflats on my 18" summer wheels, I'm heading to another tire dealer who can.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Members

you may wanna check your steering wheel buttons.. mine were loose and thats why i was getting these noises from the left side of the windshield..
try hold them in a way that they wouldn't move.. and check if you still have the noises..

hope this helps..
good luck..

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219250' date='Jan 4 2006, 06:21 PM

you may wanna check your steering wheel buttons.. mine were loose and thats why i was getting these noises from the left side of the windshield..
try hold them in a way that they wouldn't move.. and check if you still have the noises..

hope this helps..
good luck..

p.s: sorry but i forgot to quote in the previous post .. so i did it again to make it obvious what im talking about
Old 01-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

Can normal tires replace the run flats, or do you need other wheels?