E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 550 creaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have 2500 miles and I have noticed creaking in my car. Im sure that these damn run-flats have contributed to most of these. I have read about the door seals. Shouldnt my car already have the new and improved door seals, its an october 06 build. Also, what do the door seals consist of, do they go around the perimeter of the whole door? Other than the creaking, no problems at all. I love this car!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Do you find the creaking most noticeable at certain temperatures or is it noticeable on a constant basis?

I have the updated door seals installed and find that my car "creaks" at or near freezing only.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:42 PM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219250' date='Jan 4 2006, 11:21 PM
I have 2500 miles and I have noticed creaking in my car. Im sure that these damn run-flats have contributed to most of these. I have read about the door seals. Shouldnt my car already have the new and improved door seals, its an october 06 build. Also, what do the door seals consist of, do they go around the perimeter of the whole door? Other than the creaking, no problems at all. I love this car!!!

Why do you think the runflats have contributed to the creaking ? Hard ride ?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='219265

Why do you think the runflats have contributed to the creaking ? Hard ride ?
[/quote]

Yes, the runflats are like metal boots. It definitely gives the car a harder ride.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

When the temp go down in the winter, you're bound to hear noises that you didn't before. Parts expand/contract, and soft part become more rigid, resulting in more noises than during warmer months.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219250' date='Jan 5 2006, 03:21 AM
i remember reading a pervious post sayin the best way to get of any sort of creaking was to get some WD-40 on to a cloth n applying it on the place u think the creaks are coming from and evevething should be ok form there
Old 01-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributors

I have found that it creaks more when it is colder outside. Problem is that I never had this problem with my 2002 E39. One creak seems to be coming from the left side of the windshield, is there a remedy for this?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by P.S.B' post='219279
i remember reading a pervious post sayin the best way to get of any sort of creaking was to get some WD-40 on to a cloth n applying it on the place u think the creaks are coming from and evevething should be ok form there
[/quote]
Wrong! WD-40 is actually a cleaner, not a lubricant. There are other better products to do that job.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:08 AM
Senior Members

The WD means water displacement. It does have a lubricant properties which is why it stops squeeks and releases rusty nuts and bolts.

However, being a petroleum distilate, I would not use it on my car's leather or rubber surfaces.

I would use a good rubber/leather cleaner, followed by a silicone lubricant applied using a cloth.

Why we should have to do this on an E60 beats me but I am getting a sore head from running the radio too loud!!

Streak
Old 01-05-2006, 04:25 AM
MAK
Members

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='219250' date='Jan 4 2006, 11:21 PM
This seems to have been a problem with the E60 since birth and by your comments seems to be still with us. No doubt you will have seen the many postings and comments about this subject within the site and the debateable success or otherwise of fitting the "improved door seals" . In my own case this put me off getting my dealer to replace my old seals under the warranty with all the hassle involved. I have however just tried a tip posted by someone else in the forum. I put a small amount of ordinary dish washing liquid(about half a teaspoon)on to a damp cloth and wiped round all the door
seals in particular the felt strips then another wipe round with a wet cloth to remove excess lather. This was followed by using an old towel to dry off the seals and three weeks later No Creaks! Hope this helps and thanks to our friend who gave us this idea.It seems to work and easier than getting the seals replaced.

Quick Reply: 2006 550 creaking