E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 530xit sport wagon Transmission Vin Coding

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 01:49 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw e61
Default 2006 530xit sport wagon Transmission Vin Coding

Hi All,

I replaced my busted transmission with a used transmission. The transmission shop returned the car to me unprogrammed. When i called them out about it they told me they couldnt do it. I went to the local bmw dealership and they refused to program it after charging me just to tell me they wont do it. 500 dollars later im writing to this forum for help.

Does anyone know how to code my USED transmission to my vehicle? From what ive read i need to sync my vin number with the transmission but i cannot find a reliable instruction video or sheet to help me through it. If anyone has any sources to point me to or knows somebody willing todo this for me remotely would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Old 12-08-2022, 07:33 PM
New Members

Is this something you have done before?
Old 12-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

No.

Reach out to @seanjordan20.

Last edited by donpb; 12-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

They should of switched the old mechatronic into the new transmission. They did an incomplete install. If it was a transmission from the same year model the only thing that needed to be done was resetting the adaptions.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 12-08-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 03:58 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
They should of switched the old mechatronic into the new transmission. They did an incomplete install. If it was a transmission from the same year model the only thing that needed to be done was resetting the adaptions.
Is this the only way?
Old 12-09-2022, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Was it a mechatronic from the same model year? If not then coding and programming needs to be done. Every module hold software from the car model it belongs to. If you mix and match you can't guarantee it will work. You can flash what you want to a module but it has to be compatible this is why you get the same module year. So you know what the donor year and model is?
Old 12-09-2022, 10:28 AM
New Members

Was it a mechatronic from the same model year? If not then coding and programming needs to be done. Every module hold software from the car model it belongs to. If you mix and match you can't guarantee it will work. You can flash what you want to a module but it has to be compatible this is why you get the same module year. So you know what the donor year and model is?
Hi Sean, yes the donor car is a 2006 330xi and my car is a 2006 530xi. Transmissions are the same part number for both vehicles, both automatics.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Ok your cheapest solution is to find a local Indy shop and see if they will perform what is needed. Not swapping the mechatronic leaves you in a bind. What needs to be done is flashing E60 software to the correct ZUSB number so it knows it's in an E60 and using E60 software. During that it will program the VIN. Once that is complete the errors would need to be cleared and the adaptions need to be reset.

This process is easy if you know the steps but expensive if you don't already have what's needed to perform the flash. You need the software installed on a laptop which you can find free. Then you would need an ICOM ($600). This allows you to connect to the car. You would also need a charger ($400-$500). Having this allows you to perform what is needed. You can get away with out having an ICOM by using a K+ DCAN ($25) cable if you have the correct type of charger. The difference between the is the ICOM makes flashing modules quick not needing to keep the car on for long hence having a good charger. If you use the cable it could take 60-90 mins to update a module which then you need the correct charger to keep your battery charged so it doesn't die during the flash. If your car dies during a flash then you run the risk of the module being bricked and having to buy a new one. With the information that was given this your only option explained. Hopefully this helps
Old 12-09-2022, 01:35 PM
New Members

Ok your cheapest solution is to find a local Indy shop and see if they will perform what is needed. Not swapping the mechatronic leaves you in a bind. What needs to be done is flashing E60 software to the correct ZUSB number so it knows it's in an E60 and using E60 software. During that it will program the VIN. Once that is complete the errors would need to be cleared and the adaptions need to be reset.

This process is easy if you know the steps but expensive if you don't already have what's needed to perform the flash. You need the software installed on a laptop which you can find free. Then you would need an ICOM ($600). This allows you to connect to the car. You would also need a charger ($400-$500). Having this allows you to perform what is needed. You can get away with out having an ICOM by using a K+ DCAN ($25) cable if you have the correct type of charger. The difference between the is the ICOM makes flashing modules quick not needing to keep the car on for long hence having a good charger. If you use the cable it could take 60-90 mins to update a module which then you need the correct charger to keep your battery charged so it doesn't die during the flash. If your car dies during a flash then you run the risk of the module being bricked and having to buy a new one. With the information that was given this your only option explained. Hopefully this helps
So i have access to a shop (brothers a mechanic) so they have battery chargers for ambulances and things like that so i think theyll have something to power the car on long enough. I have the software and the latest DATEN files. I dont have an ICOM cable but i have the K+DCAN. The correct ECU Family for my car (not donor transmission) should be GKE211 formerly gs19b? and the ZUSB number should be 7564216.

i guess my concerns are performing this the correct way, as in step by step. I feel comfortable giving it attempt to save money. but i guess im confused by 1 main thing and perhaps you can help me:

attached is my UIF and Identification

EGS is the module i need to flash and reprogram. that Zusb number is 7572901 which if i enter into Winkfp i get an error not found. But if i put in 7564216 i can see the associated family and information. When im programming the car do i need to first enter the 7572901 number for my gearbox? or is the logic to wipe the gearbox then enter 7564216 and program? Youll see the CN02166 is my vin and the KV64689 number is the donor transmission.

Quick Reply: 2006 530xit sport wagon Transmission Vin Coding