E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 530xi Transmission hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 06:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530xi
Default 2006 530xi Transmission hard shifting

Thanking everyone in advance for your help and support. Recently I changed the solenoid, oil and mechatronics on my zf6hp19 transmission. Now the e60 change hardly from 2 nd to 3 rd and also when slowing down and coming to a stop. I reseted the adaptation which I believe was done as per ISTA. For how long will the car be driven before it gets back to shift smoothly again. I have driven the car 330km so far and the hard shifting is haven't gone away. Is it normal that it shifts hardly after new solenoid. Reason why I decided to change the solenoid was because of the following error code 4E86. The error still shows up even after the new solenoids. If someone could help me out I would be very grateful.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

What is the fault frequency? What steps did you take after resetting the adaptions. It should start shifting better after 100 miles but around 250 miles you should not be feeling it learning
Old 06-18-2022, 12:02 PM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

That error code (4E86) is an electrical fault (the system is seeing an electrical problem with a particular solenoid). If you changed out the correct solenoid (would recommend double-checking that!) then your problem is either that you're very unlucky and installed a second electrically bad solenoid (unlikely) or there's a wiring harness / Mechatronics unit problem that is interrupting the wiring to that solenoid.

After resetting the adaptations, there is a very specific process for training the transmission (basically, driving slowly for long enough for the transmission to relearn that, then a little faster, then faster again - but it's very specific). Yes, the car will eventually figure it out, but road miles don't count for anything - the real trick is that it's got to experience a whole lot of around-town driving. Also, you need to reset the fluid "counter" (telling the tranny that it's had a fluid change).

I think you can drill down to individual solenoids (for testing) with ISTA, but I wouldn't swear to it. Definitely worth trying to get all the info you can using ISTA though.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:53 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
What is the fault frequency? What steps did you take after resetting the adaptions. It should start shifting better after 100 miles but around 250 miles you should not be feeling it learning

I did not follow the driving steps after resting the transmission adaptation. I drive normally to allow the learning. I drove the car today, it feel better but I can still feel the hard shifting especially when I am slowing down or coming to a stop.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:07 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
That error code (4E86) is an electrical fault (the system is seeing an electrical problem with a particular solenoid). If you changed out the correct solenoid (would recommend double-checking that!) then your problem is either that you're very unlucky and installed a second electrically bad solenoid (unlikely) or there's a wiring harness / Mechatronics unit problem that is interrupting the wiring to that solenoid.

After resetting the adaptations, there is a very specific process for training the transmission (basically, driving slowly for long enough for the transmission to relearn that, then a little faster, then faster again - but it's very specific). Yes, the car will eventually figure it out, but road miles don't count for anything - the real trick is that it's got to experience a whole lot of around-town driving. Also, you need to reset the fluid "counter" (telling the tranny that it's had a fluid change).

I think you can drill down to individual solenoids (for testing) with ISTA, but I wouldn't swear to it. Definitely worth trying to get all the info you can using ISTA though.
thanks for your help. Just to let you know I replaced all 7 solenoids with ZF ones I bought from. FCPEURO.COM. how do I reset the tranny fluid counter in ista. I am not very familiar with ISTA.

Transmission error. Same fault before and after servicing the transmission with new solenoids
Old 06-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 287 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You need ISTA/INPA to find the fault count. Knowing that will tell you what your next step will be.

After resetting the adaptions there is a relearn process you should follow but it has nothing to do with you still getting the error.

@habbyguy. I've never heard of a fluid counter. Where would that sit in ISTA/INPA?

Last edited by seanjordan20; 06-18-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:38 PM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

I believe it's like this:

Vehicle management
Powertrain
Transmission Control
Oil Change
Old 06-22-2022, 02:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by habbyguy
I believe it's like this:

Vehicle management
Powertrain
Transmission Control
Oil Change
Thank you habbyguy. I will check it out. I also going to double check to make sure I have enough fluid in the tranny. I note that in the morning or when the car is not up to normal temperature it shifts fine. I am at 550 km the tranny still shift hard but not a bad as before. I am not sure if the tranny is in still the process of learn or the tranny has issues.

Thanking everyone who's trying to help me figure out this issue.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:02 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What was the step by step fill procedure you followed...include car on and car off in your description.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
What was the step by step fill procedure you followed...include car on and car off in your description.
while the car was off i add 4 litters of fluid until i got i little stream Flowing out from the refill not place. I then started the car and shift the gears between all the gears for 10 seconds. I waited until the transmission temperature was at 30 degrees Celsius then continued refilling until I get a small stream of fluid flowing out. By the time I finished refilling the tranny it was at 43 degrees Celsius. I tried to level the car as level as possible doing this procedure. In total I add 7 litters. I bought another 2 litters of the zf lifeguard 6 incase its missing fluid. Thanks again for your help

Quick Reply: 2006 530xi Transmission hard shifting