E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 530xi: put a downpayment down for one

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 Lexus HS 250h...looking to get a 2011 535xi
Cool

Well, hopefully within about 4 months, I'll be more than a troller for information about, and actually be an owner of a 5-series.

Here's the scoop. I put a $1000 down on what I am guessing is a pre-preorder for a 2006 530xi. I'm pretty new to this pre-order process, so I'd appreciate your translations from dealerspeak to reality for a couple of vague answers the dealer gave me in response to my questions:

Q: How much will the car cost?
A: We havent received the exact pricing yet, but the prices are expected to rise minimally from 2005 to 2006 (1-2%) and the cost of the AWD is expected to be around $1500-2000

Q: So, do you know what your actual allotment of cars will be?
A: No, but we are the second largest dealer so we will be getting quite a few.

Q: So, I am specifying exactly what colors and options I want. Does this mean that once you get your "allotment" you'll order my car?
A: We should be able to get pretty close.

Q: So when will I be able to get a production number?
A: I will call you in a couple weeks to tell you when you can expect a production number.

So my translation of all of this is that my $1000 put my on a list to get one of their allotted 530xi's.

So, what else should I have asked?

Since this dealer isn't my first choice geographically-wise, I may attempt to shop the deal elsewhere. (I got MSRP-$2K,which I think is a good deal).
Old 02-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Argelius' date='Feb 27 2005, 08:57 AM
Well, hopefully within about 4 months, I'll be more than a troller for information about, and actually be an owner of a 5-series.

Here's the scoop. I? put a $1000 down on what I am guessing is a pre-preorder for a 2006 530xi.? I'm pretty new to this pre-order process, so I'd appreciate your translations from dealerspeak to reality for a couple of vague answers the dealer gave me in response to my questions:

Q: How much will the car cost?
A: We havent received the exact pricing yet, but the prices are expected to rise minimally from 2005 to 2006 (1-2%) and the cost of the AWD is expected to be around $1500-2000

Q: So, do you know what your actual allotment of cars will be?
A: No, but we are the second largest dealer so we will be getting quite a few.

Q: So, I am specifying exactly what colors and options I want. Does this mean that once you get your "allotment" you'll order my car?
A: We should be able to get pretty close.

Q: So when will I be able to get a production number?
A:? I will call you in a couple weeks to tell you when you can expect a production number.

So my translation of all of this is that my $1000 put my on a list to get one of their allotted 530xi's.?

So, what else should I have asked?

Since this dealer isn't my first choice geographically-wise, I may attempt to shop the deal elsewhere. (I got MSRP-$2K,which I think is a good deal).
[snapback]94889[/snapback]
I'm sure others will chime in with more detail but from what I can tell, it sounds like your dealer is being honest. As of a couple weeks ago, the 2006 pricing wasn't available yet. As far as getting the color and options you want, you should be able to order the car based on your preferences but keep one thing in mind -- there will be options you may want but may not be available in conjunction with other options, etc. Also, some options may be unavailable until a later date, etc. so that may have been what the dealer was referring to when they said they should be able to "get pretty close" to what you want.

As far as the deal, I don't like "MSRP minus $" quotes since it's always better to work out an "dealer invoice plus $" quote. That said, I can't say whether or not you have a good deal...