E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 2006 530xi with 30k miles, the vehicle included BMW CPO.

I have a couple of questions:
1.) Can anyone address the reliability of the vehicle from personal experience? After i bought the car I read that this was a car to avoid from Consumer Reports. Although I dont put much weight on their opinions it's still worrisome until I get some real user reviews. It might be worth mentioning I only put about 7000 miles a year on a car but am curious how many trouble free miles users here have on theirs.

2.) I traded in a 2007 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0t on this vehicle. My Audi only had 12000 miles on it and I had 5 years left on the financing (I took out the original loan for 6 years because of 1.9% financing) Question is the Audo stickered at $33,000 and I was told the 530xi was around $54,000 new. I financed the vehicle for 5 years and basically put down $3000 and kept my same payments. I am now paying $535 a month for the 5 year term. The dealership gave me $22,000 for the Audi and I owed $26,500. The dealership sold me the CPO 530xi for $29000. (no other dealership in the area could match the deal)

I am just wondering if this seems like a resonable trade off. The way I look at it is I got a car that stickers $20000 higher for $3000 out of pocket and the same payments. The CPO warranty gave me 3 more years of warranty and my Audi only had 1.5 years left. The BMW drives so much better than the Audi a comparison is not even worthy. I just hope I can expect reliability from the BMW. I normally only keep cars a year which I know is not smart but I have to keep this one as now that the little one is on the way and I wont be able to afford changing this time for at least 4 years.

The reason I got rid of the Audi is due to my wife being pregnant and a car seat would not fit in the back of the A4 with where I need my seat positioned and it fit perfectly in the BMW.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Members

29K for a 06 530xi sounds like a good deal. I got mine 6 months ago for 34K with similar mileage. Not sure about your trade in value since I didn't do that.

Reliability has been great so for (knock on wood). No big issues yet. The service is amazing. Hassle free and fully covered.

Enjoy.

Originally Posted by JTBAZZ' post='757877' date='Jan 2 2009, 03:08 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased a 2006 530xi with 30k miles, the vehicle included BMW CPO.

I have a couple of questions:
1.) Can anyone address the reliability of the vehicle from personal experience? After i bought the car I read that this was a car to avoid from Consumer Reports. Although I dont put much weight on their opinions it's still worrisome until I get some real user reviews. It might be worth mentioning I only put about 7000 miles a year on a car but am curious how many trouble free miles users here have on theirs.

2.) I traded in a 2007 Audi A4 Quattro 2.0t on this vehicle. My Audi only had 12000 miles on it and I had 5 years left on the financing (I took out the original loan for 6 years because of 1.9% financing) Question is the Audo stickered at $33,000 and I was told the 530xi was around $54,000 new. I financed the vehicle for 5 years and basically put down $3000 and kept my same payments. I am now paying $535 a month for the 5 year term. The dealership gave me $22,000 for the Audi and I owed $26,500. The dealership sold me the CPO 530xi for $29000. (no other dealership in the area could match the deal)

I am just wondering if this seems like a resonable trade off. The way I look at it is I got a car that stickers $20000 higher for $3000 out of pocket and the same payments. The CPO warranty gave me 3 more years of warranty and my Audi only had 1.5 years left. The BMW drives so much better than the Audi a comparison is not even worthy. I just hope I can expect reliability from the BMW. I normally only keep cars a year which I know is not smart but I have to keep this one as now that the little one is on the way and I wont be able to afford changing this time for at least 4 years.

The reason I got rid of the Audi is due to my wife being pregnant and a car seat would not fit in the back of the A4 with where I need my seat positioned and it fit perfectly in the BMW.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer this!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

JTBAZZ I actually made an almost eerily similar trade last summer .

I had a new fully loaded 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro with Nav, Wood Trim and Convenience Package (Adaptive Xenons and lots of other power goodies) that didn't give me a lick of trouble and that I really liked, especially in bad weather. This past summer my brother decides because of the gas crisis he wants to dump his 2004 X-3 and his 2007 530xi and trade them for, get this, a new Mini and a Prius (he's my twin brother so I have to be easy when I say "WTF" was he thinking ) He asks me if I want to buy his '07 530xi which I immediately said YES because like you I saw a rare opportunity to get a car for about $20K less than what the sticker was a little over a year earlier when he bought it new and get a tremendous upgrade over my A4 (which was no slouch either at $38+K).

His '07 530 had X-drive, Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Seat Heaters, and Sirius Satellite Radio. Now my brother HAND washed and shammied this car every week (NO mechanical car washes ever) so there is absolutely not a swirl mark on it anywhere, he waxed it every month and clayed it like every three months, kept it in a garage at home AND at work so there is no exterior or interior color fade whatsoever and the car had less than 25K miles on it. There was no way I was going to pass up a cream puff like this. Basically the car was like new!

Like you, I also read Consumer Reports and the '07 530xi had a slightly more favorable rating than '06 when the 530xi first came out. However keep in mind that by 2006 this was the THIRD year for the current 5 series and they have been pretty good with service overall so you should have confidence in your new vehicle (I do). As for trouble I have not really had anything too serious and I still have close to 2 years left on the warranty so no worrys.

Fast forward- having owned the car now for 7 months I love the quietness, larger size, butter smooth 6 cylinder engine (the Audi's 2.0T 4 Cylinder is a honey of an engine especially when the turbo kicks in but man it's a little coarse and chatters like a diesel at idle which I do NOT miss) and of course the overall panache of my 530xi.

From what you described you made a pretty good deal and got a better car in the process. Your trade is dead on since I sold my A4 for about $5K more than you but remember my car had about $5.5K more in options and stickered for close to $39K.

Welcome, Good Luck and enjoy your new ride!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi. alpine white, black leather, 6 speed. mtech kit.

haha...similar story. traded my s4 for a 06 530xi. apart from the significant lack in power compared to the audi, the bmw has been perfect. i have had it for a yr now and still enjoy it. bmw service is excellent. only putting 7000 miles a yr, i am confident you will be fine. i bought mine with more miles for a lot more money than you did so you got a great deal. ive put almost 12k miles on mine and have not had one problem. enjoy it. i think you made a significant step in the right direction. look at the 535xi (TURBO..mmmmmmmmm)when you are ready for an upgrade. im watching them closely.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:16 AM
Members

Thanks for the replies, very reassuring.

Pananguy, sounds like we were in pretty much the same situation. I too am like your brother where I would never consider a machinhe wash. I have more detailing equipment than a professional detailer and I am completely anal about the car always being immaculate with top quality sealants and wax's.

When I bought my Audi where they had the car sitting caused some tree sap to drip on the hood. The dealership said they would get it off but because of the inconvienience they would Simonize the car for me, NEVER LET ANYONE DO THIS! I had a brand new black car that they gave back to me with hologranms over the whole car because the detailer applied the wax with a wool pad. I bought the Audi at Day Audi in Pittsburgh which everone should stay away from. If you have ever had true holograms on a car they are nearly impossible to remove. The dealership offered to try to remove them and then denied they did it until they realized the car was brand new and I never even drove it yet, LOL. Anyway after expermenting with many different compounds and my Porter CAble I was able to get most of the Holograms out but the few I couldn't remove always bothered me.

Your brother sounds like he kept the 530 perfect which is a rare find. When I bought my Silver Grey it was already certified so I didnt get to see the original condition of it because I am sure they cleaned the crap out of it, but I couldnt notice any flaws at all. When I got it home though I stripped all the paint down and clayed it, then I polished it and then add three coats of Klasse sealant which made the care even more perfect.

Also, I bought it at Bobby Rahal in Pittsburgh and I can truly say that this is the best dealership I have ever purchased a car from. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area you should give them a look if you are in the marker for a new car.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: Soon to be 2006 530xi Silver on gray. Premium, Premium Sound, Sports(lite), Cold Weather pkgs, Navi

Originally Posted by JTBAZZ' post='758302' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:16 AM

Pananguy, sounds like we were in pretty much the same situation. I too am like your brother where I would never consider a machinhe wash. I have more detailing equipment than a professional detailer and I am completely anal about the car always being immaculate with top quality sealants and wax's.

When I bought my Audi where they had the car sitting caused some tree sap to drip on the hood. The dealership said they would get it off but because of the inconvienience they would Simonize the car for me, NEVER LET ANYONE DO THIS! I had a brand new black car that they gave back to me with hologranms over the whole car because the detailer applied the wax with a wool pad. I bought the Audi at Day Audi in Pittsburgh which everone should stay away from. If you have ever had true holograms on a car they are nearly impossible to remove. The dealership offered to try to remove them and then denied they did it until they realized the car was brand new and I never even drove it yet, LOL. Anyway after expermenting with many different compounds and my Porter CAble I was able to get most of the Holograms out but the few I couldn't remove always bothered me.

Your brother sounds like he kept the 530 perfect which is a rare find. When I bought my Silver Grey it was already certified so I didnt get to see the original condition of it because I am sure they cleaned the crap out of it, but I couldnt notice any flaws at all. When I got it home though I stripped all the paint down and clayed it, then I polished it and then add three coats of Klasse sealant which made the care even more perfect.

Also, I bought it at Bobby Rahal in Pittsburgh and I can truly say that this is the best dealership I have ever purchased a car from. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area you should give them a look if you are in the marker for a new car.
Welcome

Good to see another Pittsburgher on the forum. Are you getting your car from a dealer or private sale?

I recently(2 weeks ago) bought a 530xi from Rahal in Canonsburg so can't talk about reliability but the dealership has ben outstanding so far.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Members

I got it in Cannonsburg at Bobby Rahal. If you dont mind me asking what kind of deal did they give you? Did you have a trade?

Originally Posted by esmolol' post='758353' date='Jan 3 2009, 11:11 AM
Welcome

Good to see another Pittsburgher on the forum. Are you getting your car from a dealer or private sale?

I recently(2 weeks ago) bought a 530xi from Rahal in Canonsburg so can't talk about reliability but the dealership has ben outstanding so far.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

My '07 530xi has been fine.

Just turned about 25K miles. S/W was updated to fix complaint about slow I-Drive; Battery replaced under warranty at 14K miles - problem was it had not been driven much for 2-3 months. Usual services completed by the book. One keyfob issue was resolved with a replacement battery.

One 18" wheel and RFT killed by pothole last March - < $700.00 OUCH! . If you are getting one fitted with performance tires, buy wheel and tire insurance. Lots of advice on the forum for companies to pick from.

Love the car - miss a V-8; fuel economy is OK at 20+ mpg overall / 26+ mpg when cruising on the highway.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi, Monaco Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota Leather, Dark Popular Trim, Steptronic, Premium Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Heated Rear Seats, Navigation, Sirius, 2004 330cic convertible, Mystic Blue Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Myrtle Wood Trim, Rare Myrtle Wood & Leather Sport Steering Wheel, Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Xenons, Navigation, Heated Seats, Park Distance Control 2004 R1200C Montauk Motorcycle, Artic Blue Metallic, Servo ABS Linked Brakes, Chrome Pkg, Fog Lamps, Heated Grips

Originally Posted by JTBAZZ' post='758302' date='Jan 3 2009, 08:16 AM

JTBAZZ,

One more thing. Since I usually never park on the street, other than some front "road rash" from highway driving, I have no scratches on the front or rear bumpers from stupid a__holes trying to parellel park in front or behind you on the street tapping (and gouging) your bumpers?!@$. If there are any city dwellers (NYC especially) here on the Forum and they park their cars on the street they know what I am talking about and people just don't care if they "kiss" your car trying to park. Heavily scratched bumpers on most cars are the norm in big cities because of on street parking. Living in the suburbs we don't usually have that problem and drivers tend to be more careful if we do park on streets (But I still avoid it anyway).

Even better than that, when I go to just about any store or shopping mall and park I usually always use Handicapped parking since I have a permit (bad knees) which means parking in double wide spaces miles from cars on either side of you. Brain dead fat mamas can't even get close to hitting my doors as they fling open the doors with reckless abandon of their sh_t cars or SUV's next to me. As a result I have not one scratch or ding on the doors either. Like you said this car was is a rare cherry which I intend to keep that way. Am I anal? You bet my German a$$ I am

Anyway good luckand I know you will love the car even more over time
Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i Black/Black Sport, Prem, Auto

I traded in my 330xi for an A4 cab and just recently traded that in for my e60. I don't know about the 530xi itself but I can tell you that BMW is just a better made car. When I bought the Audi I expected to get another luxury car but really it was just a VW with circles. I couldn't get out of that car fast enough. I have driven the B7 A4's and they're nice, but I'll bet they wouldn't last near as long as you 5 series will. Happy driving, you made a good choice!

Quick Reply: 2006 530xi