E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006-2007 530i MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond
I think you are right on-I average 16 when I am doing purely inner city, mucho stop signs and lights and stop and go traffic. On the highway at 80 I get 33mpg so your highway is a bit low.

First thing I would start with is not your spark plugs--that makes no effect on fuel milage at ALL. Factor warrnaty dont cover those until 100 which obviously never happens since warranty ends at 50

Increase your tire pressure and not sure if you have sport or not but get a new set of bigger/wider tires. SUCH a bit misconception that skinnier tires get better gas mileage-which is totally opposite--skinnier tires have much more deformation at speed which loses heat/energy and costs mpg. The fatter the tire the less deformation and the better mpg. A contact patch is exactly the same area with skinny or fat--the shape only changes so some will say skinny is less because less material is touching the ground to drag friction-again not true. But higher pressures will help you as that actually lowers the contact patch and further decreases deformation and energy loss.

Getting a set of lighter wheels and tires--I started getting 2more mpg when I changed out my tires and wheels and saved about 10 pounds each wheel/tire--rotating mass is a killer for mpg and performance.

Also you are likely getting WORSE milage driving in D--this car is funny and gets wayyy bogged down in the low rpms--it takes more gas when you stay at the lower RPMS for too long as your engine is just fighting to move but really not going anywhere and it takes you longer to get to the speed where you no longer are acclerating and are cruising--and not using much gas. So DS and a bit more aggressive driving to get the rpms up more quickly (within reason obviously) you will see better mileage

A few small things is getting a fuel system clean at bmw for 150 bucks or so-They flush and pressure clean your fuel system and injectors. After that make sure to use a Chevron techron (same that bmw uses) every 3-5k miles of fuel system clearner to keep your injectors clean and carbon deposits gone.

Mkae sure you are using 93 octane or 91 in cali-that will actually give you better mpg than lower octane on this car.

My bet is if you increase your tire pressure-I have always gone 40 rear and 36 front and that should gain a couple. Other than that you are exactly where I am--I never understand how people get above 20 with city driving-atleast for my stop and go that just has not happened in 4 years!

This car is impressive though I can cruise at 65 and get within 1mpg as driving at 80 on the freeway and get 33mpg---that is the cool part. In the city when I go short distances I dont care about getting crappy milage as its so few miles. But long trips to be able to get 33mpg on a car that also can be fast and a lot of fun when pushing it is a cool deal--

thanks for that--good post. i'm coming from a 360-hp muscle car that was much faster and got similar city mileage, so that is a slight disappointment i am getting the same mileage for a slower car. nevertheless the bmw experience is much better and less troublesome than my previous car, but still the rated 20mpg in the city was a little misleading. unfortunately that's one of those things that you don't find out until after you purchase a car. still, it's not like the extra 3-4mpg in the city is going to make a huge impact on the wallet over time; i guess it's more of a mental thing.

it's actually a relief to hear that being in DS is potentially better for the driving habits, because that's a more fun mode anyway. i do not have the sport's package, so i would have expected my rims to be lighter in the first place. but, i will look into airing them up a bit higher. thanks for the advice.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

With cruise control (set between 72-75 MPH) and purely interstate driving (with the family in the car) I routinely clock between 29 - 31 MPG (310 mile haul one-way). When alone and headed "up-North" to meet up with friends for golf the cruise is set higher (78-80 MPH) and of course fuel efficiency suffers a bit (27-28 MPG).

As for city driving - I have <1 mile drive to my health club followed by a 5 mile drive to the office (2 - 4 lane local roads - 11 traffic signals)and I routinely get around 20 MPG.

Besides tire inflation, plugs, etc. could the 14-15 MPG be the result of some driving habits? Are you hard on the pedal on acceleration (jack rabbit starts)? Do you coast up to a red-light or continue to drive under power brake hard when you get there, etc. All of these factors will have a direct impact upon your MPG.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by one4thethumb
With cruise control (set between 72-75 MPH) and purely interstate driving (with the family in the car) I routinely clock between 29 - 31 MPG (310 mile haul one-way). When alone and headed "up-North" to meet up with friends for golf the cruise is set higher (78-80 MPH) and of course fuel efficiency suffers a bit (27-28 MPG).

As for city driving - I have <1 mile drive to my health club followed by a 5 mile drive to the office (2 - 4 lane local roads - 11 traffic signals)and I routinely get around 20 MPG.

Besides tire inflation, plugs, etc. could the 14-15 MPG be the result of some driving habits? Are you hard on the pedal on acceleration (jack rabbit starts)? Do you coast up to a red-light or continue to drive under power brake hard when you get there, etc. All of these factors will have a direct impact upon your MPG.
do you use DS or D?

no, i really have been driving very conservatively the last few tanks specifically to try and get better than 16mpg.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Originally Posted by tuffluck
do you use DS or D?

no, i really have been driving very conservatively the last few tanks specifically to try and get better than 16mpg.
I predominantly use standard "D" On occasion I'll switch over to DS or manual mode.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually with the smaller wheels you have WAY heavier tires-that are huge sidewalls and thus the rotating mass, furthest from the fulcrum/axle is the most important weight that contributes to rotating mass. A heavier wheel is much better than a heavier tire since the tire is the outermost weight and it takes MUCH more power to turn a wheel with heavy exterior mass compared to if that maxx was focused on near the center. So paradoxically the smaller wheels give you more rotating mass due to the heavier tires.

You are better off getting a nice lightweight 19inch wheel-VMR are great and pretty cheap-1000 bucks per set. They are lighter than the bmw sport 18s 123s and 124s which are BBS good quality--probably as light as the 17s--however you can get a really light low profile tire with these and the rotating mass savings is aboslutely huge.

That is why i believe I routinly can get 33-35mpg on the freeway at 80-the lower rotating mass. About 50 pounds compared to the stock 18s with runflats I have saved 12 pounds on the very outer circle of each wheel/tire--just think of how much 12 pound weight is and imagine that on each wheel and the engine having to drive that constantly--that sucks a lot of power
Old 08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Members

When I got the car it was averaging 22mpg. Since I reset the thing I now average 19. I drive with a heavy foot(sport mode) and I am driving 30 min through heavy traffc every day after work. I'd say that it would be reasonable to think something is not right with your car. Have u checked tire pressure? That would give you a couple mpg's less if they are low on psi.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[I promise you do not get 22mpg driving bumper to bumper traffic--just not going to happen-as I said this is consistent with anyone who drives in stop and go, downtown traffic to get 16 or 17mpg--your not going to get 22 so dont lie about your driving conditions--yours are likely averaged with longer trips that do get better milage--nothing is wrong with your car.

An easy way to test if something is "wrong" is do a couple good highway runs of 30 miles each way to account for hills, wind and average the two--you should easily be able to get 30 mpg or more doing 70mph. If you get that then things are fine-if you cannot obtain that then that would be a start to think maybe something isnt right
Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

so far i've been driving spiritedly and all in DS for approximately 150 miles this tank and OBC is reading 15.5mpg, which is hardly any different than the super-conservative driving i did last tank and got 16.6mpg...

still seems low to me. i'd be happy with over 17.