E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 E60 Stalling randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D E60 Pre-Face
Default 2005 E60 Stalling randomly

Hello, i owe BMW E60 535D Pre-face 2005 for 8 months till now the car has around 470k kilometers on the dash. So the problem, three weeks ago the car stalled twice, the first time on traffic light - restarted and everything was time after 2 minutes on the highway it stalled again with 70km/h. I took it to a guy with diagnostics and he told me to change the crankshaft position sensor. So far so good the next day after the change i started up the car in the morning everything was fine ... After 4 minutes on the exact same place the car stalled again but this time i had to crank a bit longer to start it then suddenly miracle has happened the car started... After 10 seconds stalled again. I had to crank more than 10 times to move on from the junction. The car was at 50C approximately i parked at the near supermarket and waited a bit. After 5 minutes i restarted the car sudden drop of the rpms and back again to normal operating rpms. Stalled 3,4 times till it got to 90C then no problems at all the car ran fine. I decided to go back to the service so they can look again - attached the car to the diag and guess what not even one error code beside the Crankshaft position sensor one for false signal and one for no signal. They told it can be from the high pressure valve on the rail ok we changed it ( car was cold again ) worked like 5 mins then stalled again. Ok next descision was to change the valve on HPFP no luck same thing... After that we tried with new fuel filter again no luck. Next guess ) The position sensor on the intake manifold again no luck... And i repeat once the gar gets hotter the problem disappear. Checked the fuel pump module on the trunk checked the injectors all good, checked the low pressure fuel pump in the trunk looks like it work like a charm no stops and stuff like that... I noticed that i have The dynamic drive on the dash and steering angle position light. The dynamic drive error illuminated couple of times while the car was not in motion then disappeared. Oops the rail have constant working pressure of 300 - 320 bar which looks normal to me... Now my thoughts are the voltage regulator of the alternator or the alternator itself. Please help guys this is my second week without my loved one Can't eat can't sleep... Btw the car runs like a crazy no reduced power etc... ( ONCE IT GETS HOT ) Thanks in advance. Happy to pay btw.

P.S If it's the voltage regulator can it stops the injector by sending false signal to the ecu ?
Old 03-26-2019, 10:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 n52b30

Same symptoms 1 year ago, I replaced fuel pump and everything's ok although the fuel pump looks ok at that time. I didn't get any code for fuel pump that day.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:24 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Arif Halim
Same symptoms 1 year ago, I replaced fuel pump and everything's ok although the fuel pump looks ok at that time. I didn't get any code for fuel pump that day.
Hello, thanks for your time Which pump in the tank or the HPFP ?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 n52b30

Originally Posted by tsonevpe
Hello, thanks for your time Which pump in the tank or the HPFP ?
I replaced fuel pump in the tank. Hopefully can help. Btw, did you already check glow plug or fuel heater?

Last edited by Arif Halim; 03-27-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:30 AM
New Members

These are the only codes in the diag tool, glow plug control module, but in my country is 20C now and this should be issue only when starting the engine. I've just ordered the pump in the tank
Old 12-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: E46 330CI turbo

Originally Posted by tsonevpe
These are the only codes in the diag tool, glow plug control module, but in my country is 20C now and this should be issue only when starting the engine. I've just ordered the pump in the tank
Hello!
Did you ever find out what was causing your problems?
I'm having similar issues with my e61 530D. So far I've replaced lpfp aswell as hpfp and it's still stalling :'(
Would greatly appreciate some tips hehe