E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, now I have to look into INPA programming and figure out how to do this to my car.

Can someone recommend a site where I can read and learn more about this.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Wow, now I have to look into INPA programming and figure out how to do this to my car.

Can someone recommend a site where I can read and learn more about this.

Thank you for your time.
in for this as well
Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

3Banana, I can't thank you enough for this great tip . The car drives like it should be- the Ultimate Driving Machine- YeAahh! I found Joy again .
Sheer Driving Pleasure (especially in DS Mode). It hit high RPMs that I've never seen in a long time.
Coders, please do this on your car so that I can confirm that it's not some sort of placebo effect.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by Rizbel
Coders, please do this on your car so that I can confirm that it's not some sort of placebo effect.
+1
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Members

Dealer SA are acting like idiots... They maybe smart people but they have to follow BMW procedure blindly which makes them look like a brainless idiots and this process is:
1. Deny. deny, deny.. There is nothing wrong with transmission
2. If you can't deny - get the fault codes and based on that find the most expensive solution (replace transmission for $5k or at least Mechatronics for $3.5K plus $$$ for labor.
3. If there is no code - go to point 1.

Went through this couple days ago... and though transmission matched 100% BMW SIB 240305 - it did not show any codes so dealer SA said "no code - no repairs". I asked them if this is a common problem - answer NO. I asked if the can reset tranny memory - they said "no code- no repairs", asked them to update Sw - same answer - "no code.."

Called my independent mechanic. Just stared to describe the issue when he finished..." yeah heard that one - not a common issue , no code and no code - no work"
And he said _ MANY car with this tranny has this issue. Resetting "learning" memory will fix ~50% (90% show initial improvement but it tends to comes back in a month or so), next step is to update Transmission SW - this will fix the 80% issues ( bmw made improvement to restrict downshifting from 2->1 when costing and some people complain about performance after)
Unfortunately 20% have to have Mechatroinc unit replaced and this part costs ~ $ 1.5k - $2k (it dependents where you get it from - i.e if you buy from Tichner BMW (www.gerBMWparts.com) or independent ZF dealer for rebuilt unit ( http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...id=47&parent=0 ).
Old 07-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by sunny 2005 bmw
.My family has owned three Bmws and has been loyal to the brand. Everyone has enjoyed their cars and had no problem. I just bought a 2005 545 and I am not happy at all. I have been experiencing transmission issues every since I bought it. At first I thought that it is normal. I took it in to the dealer and they said we will check it and never did. The issue I have is form 1-2nd gear and then shifting down form 2-1 it is really rough and sometimes it slams. The slam is so bad that it moves the car up and back like you are rocking it. I took if to the dealer again and they tested it could not duplicate issue. I ask the dealer to do a drive with me and I showed it to the shop foreman who said it is normal. I couldn?t get it to do it as bad as I have experienced it. The dealer is saying there are no codes and I can do a software update and it will cost me $400. I just paid $30k for this car and now I have to throw $400 in to it and that might not even fix the problem by the way the car is a CPO! I feel like this is a mistake and I will stay away form bmw in the future. I really expected better form BMW. Anyone looking for a BMW beware.
The software update under CPO is free - because there is a TSB on slamming issue. In my 550i it made slamming gone, but transmission is still jerky at times and overall rough especially in DS mode, and it's almost impossible 80% of the time to stop car smoothly in either D or DS, it jerks.
Press those stealer morons to update your software, it does take time and some nerves - part of over-hyped BMW ownership.
If software update doesn't help - it's your mechatronic unit, for this fix you need to fall on your knees and beg, and even that may not help.
F.ck bmw!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' E46 325i Sold 05' E60 53oi Sold (tranny issues) 08' E92 328i coupe 6spd MT (Current ride)

Originally Posted by porando
Dealer SA are acting like idiots... They maybe smart people but they have to follow BMW procedure blindly which makes them look like a brainless idiots and this process is:
1. Deny. deny, deny.. There is nothing wrong with transmission
2. If you can't deny - get the fault codes and based on that find the most expensive solution (replace transmission for $5k or at least Mechatronics for $3.5K plus $$$ for labor.
3. If there is no code - go to point 1.

Went through this couple days ago... and though transmission matched 100% BMW SIB 240305 - it did not show any codes so dealer SA said "no code - no repairs". I asked them if this is a common problem - answer NO. I asked if the can reset tranny memory - they said "no code- no repairs", asked them to update Sw - same answer - "no code.."

Called my independent mechanic. Just stared to describe the issue when he finished..." yeah heard that one - not a common issue , no code and no code - no work"
And he said _ MANY car with this tranny has this issue. Resetting "learning" memory will fix ~50% (90% show initial improvement but it tends to comes back in a month or so), next step is to update Transmission SW - this will fix the 80% issues ( bmw made improvement to restrict downshifting from 2->1 when costing and some people complain about performance after)
Unfortunately 20% have to have Mechatroinc unit replaced and this part costs ~ $ 1.5k - $2k (it dependents where you get it from - i.e if you buy from Tichner BMW (www.gerBMWparts.com) or independent ZF dealer for rebuilt unit ( http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...id=47&parent=0 ).
this is the truth!!! unfortunately for me a i did the reset of the adaptation and still have my kik/slip =/ but just as described above i dealt with the same .. no code no fix =/
Old 07-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport SAT 2012 535i Xdrive msport 2007 550i Sport w/SMG (gone) 2000 528i (gone) 1991 535i (gone)

Originally Posted by hooch999
The software update under CPO is free - because there is a TSB on slamming issue. In my 550i it made slamming gone, but transmission is still jerky at times and overall rough especially in DS mode, and it's almost impossible 80% of the time to stop car smoothly in either D or DS, it jerks.
Press those stealer morons to update your software, it does take time and some nerves - part of over-hyped BMW ownership.
If software update doesn't help - it's your mechatronic unit, for this fix you need to fall on your knees and beg, and even that may not help.
F.ck bmw!
Unfortunately, a software update will not solve the 2-1 jerking problem, I know, my car has been reprogrammed 3 times and it never solved the problem. After months of back and forth with BMW, with BMW admitting that the tranny does indeed jerk when coming to a complete stop. The best they could do was that "all BMW 550i jerks when coming to a complete stop". They even got engineers involved from Germany and still could not solve the problem. Basically short of replacing the tranny, they gave up on the car and the customer. Basically BMW gave a lame excuse on a well known problem and didn't want to stand behind it. Hate to say it but BMW have some of the worst auto tranny in the trade, granted that I have not driven the new 8 speed auto. I hope that some of you do get your tranny or mechtronic replaced, I hear that there are fortunate ones and got jerking problem solved. For the majority of us, BMW basically says "live with it".
Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, sport/ premium package, manual transmission, black on black. No add ons yet. Outstanding shape!

Originally Posted by Jack be Quick
I have 78k on my 2005. The slam started at around 65k. It's been to the dealer three times, never been able to replicate at the dealer. It's been probably 4+ months since the last time it did it. Seems to be worse for me, anyways, during colder weather. I think the dealer did the trans reset on it once, but that was it.

If you search here and the other e60 forums you'll find a lot of info on the problem. Seems to be varying degrees of issues, but the lack of a fault code seems to be the biggest issue with getting CPO and third party warranty to recognize / handle the issue. Also, it seems that the issue is not limited to 2004-2005 545 but it also affects the 550s, so take heart in the fact that if you spent even more money to get a 550 you might have the same situation!

Resolution seems to be - fluid / filter replacement, transmission reset, megatronics (sp?) replacement (about $2k), and finally trans replacement in extreme cases. However, it seems many get over 100k miles on the trans without significant issue. i am hoping to keep mine going for a little while longer. We just love the car and don't want to get rid of it.

I searched for issues before I bought mine and didn't see this come up and I didn't have the problem for about a year or so after I got my car - a CPO that had 30k miles.

We love the car - especially after the billy boat exhaust install and y-pipe resonator removal - verroooom, verrrrrooooommm. But, gotta agree that this is not the type of issue and lack of response I expected out of BMW ownership. We've got two BMWs right now - the 545 and 335. It's unlikely we will own another BMW, maybe a lease, but thats it. They've made the cars into appliances for the leasing market and are devoid of ownership concern - in my humble opinion.

My 545 is a manual transimission and approaching 90k, got it a few months ago and no issues so far. What type of potential issues should I expect on a manual trans, apart from eventually replacing the clutch and flywheels?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 04' E46 325i Sold 05' E60 53oi Sold (tranny issues) 08' E92 328i coupe 6spd MT (Current ride)

just got off the phone with BMWNA regarding my transmission issue and they are telling me that there is nothing they can do .. since the dealership says its normal and there are no codes then bmwna will stand behind the dealership and thats that! FML.. ima go have a talk with my SA and Service manager today.. if nothing gets done ima have a lookie at the good ol lemon law.. =/

Quick Reply: 2005 bmw transmission slam disappointed in BMW