E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2005 545i - iDrive failure & RDS question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 550i M-Sport (on order) 2011 335is 6 speed (current) 2005 545i 6 speed (sold)

I've had 2005 545i 6-spd for about 2 months now (2,300 miles). Earlier this morning my iDrive crashed on me. It attempts to "boot" and displays the standard "BMW" screen for ~10 seconds, but then goes blank. It repeats this cycle endlessly until the car has been turned off. My car was manufactured in 12/04 and I have navigation. Ironic that just yesterday I was thinking how fortunate I was to not have had any "electrical issues" with the car --- unlike my brother-in-law and his 7 series from 2+ years ago.

Looks like the soonest a dealership can take a look at it is next Monday and I was told that it would take up to 2 full days for them to re-load/update the iDrive software. Anybody have any experience with anything like this? It is really painful to be without a radio, Bluetooth and nav... I guess I am spoiled.

I hope this doesn't amount to a recurring problem as I LOVE the car.

Also, the RDS functionality of my radio was never activated --- when I mentioned this during my call to BMW service today and the rep told me that sometimes RDS activation causes issues with other features of the car --- he did not elaborate. Can any of you shed any light on this? Is RDS activation/de-activation a user option? -- I have not seen it on any of the menus that I have ventured into.

Thanks,
jhav
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 525i

not good. hope it all gets resolved though.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2014 550i M-Sport (on order) 2011 335is 6 speed (current) 2005 545i 6 speed (sold)

UPDATE - I found a dealer who allowed me to drop off the car this morning... I'm interested to find out what caused the failure and what the resolution is. On another board I was told that the "CCC" may be dead and in need of replacement... not that I know what that means.

I'll keep the board updated.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:07 AM
Members

you can't have NAV and RDS...... you would think they could figure this out.....
Old 07-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

what is RDS???
Old 07-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's possible that just installing the latest software will fix things up. If you do a search on this board, you'll find a ton of RDS information. At this time, in the USA, you can't have RDS if you have navigation.

I'm sure that you'll get things fixed up soon. At least the problem you have is duplicatable so the dealer won't have any problem seeing the complaint.

On another note, isn't it funny how spoiled we've all become (me included?) I know it's frustrating but at least the car didn't strand you or need to be towed in. No radio, nav, RDS, or BT is a bummer but imagine saying that years ago!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Members

Thanks for the RDS/NAV clarification. On another note, how can you find out what CIP version the car is running? I assume you can find this buried somewhere in the iDrive menu --- can somebody point me to the correct spot?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 AM
Members

Ignore my previous question regarding CID version... I did some searches on the board and learned that there is no way to identify the version without having the service center hook the car into a computer.

To Rudy's point, I certainly am spoiled... but I must say that even with no iDrive/computer functionality, this car is still a blast to drive.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by jhav' date='Jul 5 2005, 08:39 PM
I've had 2005 545i 6-spd for about 2 months now (2,300 miles). Earlier this morning my iDrive crashed on me. It attempts to "boot" and displays the standard "BMW" screen for ~10 seconds, but then goes blank. It repeats this cycle endlessly until the car has been turned off. My car was manufactured in 12/04 and I have navigation. Ironic that just yesterday I was thinking how fortunate I was to not have had any "electrical issues" with the car --- unlike my brother-in-law and his 7 series from 2+ years ago.

Looks like the soonest a dealership can take a look at it is next Monday and I was told that it would take up to 2 full days for them to re-load/update the iDrive software. Anybody have any experience with anything like this? It is really painful to be without a radio, Bluetooth and nav... I guess I am spoiled.

I hope this doesn't amount to a recurring problem as I LOVE the car.

Also, the RDS functionality of my radio was never activated --- when I mentioned this during my call to BMW service today and the rep told me that sometimes RDS activation causes issues with other features of the car --- he did not elaborate. Can any of you shed any light on this? Is RDS activation/de-activation a user option? -- I have not seen it on any of the menus that I have ventured into.

Thanks,
jhav
[snapback]146093[/snapback]
jhav, I had precisely the same experience. I have a 05 manufactured in October, 2004 and in March the I-Drive died in the same manner as yours. The Dealer tried and reload of the software to no avail, and ultimately replaced the CCC. Took them 4 business days. About a month ago, I discovered that my BMW Assist was not working, and while the car was in for another non-mechanical issue, the dealer checked it out and found out that the BMW Assist Module was defective, so they replaced it and loaded CIP 17.1. It took 4 days to get the part from Germany.

It seems that the CCC failure is not too uncommon!

Good Luck

Joe
Old 07-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Members

Just got the call back from my service rep --- as many of you have suggested, the CCC was indeed shot. This board is a tremendous resource!

However, it must be my lucky day. For some reason that even my rep Steven couldn't explain, Devon Hill BMW just happened to have a spare CCC lying around! He indicated the the reinstallation of the new CCC has already been completed. However, it now needs to be re-programmed and "re-programming" can take ~7-8 hours to complete.

I accepted his offer to have Enterprise drop off a rental at my office and expect to be back in my 545 later tomorrow. He also said that they will update the software to the latest version - he thought it would be 16.2, but would check and confirm with me later. I have no clue which version I was running previously -- the car was manufactured in 12/04, do any of you have an idea which version would have originally been on the car?

Also, I asked about the potential conflict between RDS and Navigation and he thought that this was a non-issue --- i.e. the two can both be active at the same time. However, he told me he would also check into this as well.

Thanks again to each of you for sharing your knowledge - it's extremely helpful to have an understanding of these things when engaging in conversations with the service centers.

Quick Reply: 2005 545i - iDrive failure & RDS question