E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 545i or 2006 750i ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545 smg sport, black sapphire, beige dakotah interior, poplar trim, cold weather pkg, comfort ventilated seats, logic 7 premium sound, nav, hud, sunshades, fold-down rear seats, satellite radio

I have owned both a 745 and a 545. The software issues in the 745 were not worked out during the term of my ownership resulting in a less than reliable car--mostly software related. While I have had some issues with the 545, most seem to be worked out. With comfort seats, the car offers the comfort of the 745 with the added sport feel. If you are willing to spend on a 750, is the M5 an option? That would give the best of all worlds imo.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545

ideally i would like more space then the 545i or the m5 would be an option, if i could find one.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by cjindustry' date='Mar 14 2005, 12:28 PM
...but space is important(family) and image is a big deal to me(ego :-)? ) looking at the forums it doesnt look like my problems are getting resolved with the never 545i I'm even looking at the
2005 MB E55 AMG
[snapback]101326[/snapback]
If reliability is your No. 1 criterion, then you definitely do not want any MB car. MB is no longer among the top 25 auto manufacturers in quality or reliability -- and this includes the MB S, SL and AMG models (all low volume production cars). Most people I know who have owned a MB have quickly sold them due to the quality and reliability problems.

It is not clear what kinds of problems you are having with your 545, but for some unknown reason you are still interested in buying a BMW (or worse yet M. From your response above, it sounds like space and image are really more important to you than reliability. If this is true, then you should get a 750i as opposed to any MB.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:05 AM
Members

priority is as follows
1. reliability
2. performance
3. image
4. space
5. price

I have numerous issues with my current 545, i have had for less than 6 months\7000 miles and its been in 3 times(going in tommorow for the 4th time) I cant except that this is just something bmw drivers have to deal with, if it is than they should have loaner cars that are the same quality as the car you drive and pickup your car and take you a loaner whenever you have a problem. just do a search on cjindustry and you will see all the problems i have had and continue to have.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by cjindustry' date='Mar 14 2005, 03:05 PM
priority is as follows
1. reliability
2. performance
3. image
4. space
5. price

I have numerous issues with my current 545, i have had for less than 6 months\7000 miles and its been in 3 times(going in tommorow for the 4th time) I cant except that this is just something bmw drivers have to deal with, if it is than they should have loaner cars that are the same quality as the car you drive and pickup your car and take you a loaner whenever you have a problem. just do a search on cjindustry and you will see all the problems i have had and continue to have.
[snapback]101382[/snapback]
Sorry to hear about your problems with the 545i. With the priorities above, it appears that you might want to consider buying a Lexus LS430 (which has unparalleled reliability among luxury cars). Also, there is no doubt that the Lexus dealership service experience will be better than that at any German manufacturer.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

i find it weird how some E60's are full of problems and others arent...not too consistant huh
Old 03-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Members

no there not consitent, and what i dont get is why the issues cant be resolved after 3 times in the shop, that alone makes it not woorth rolling the dice and getting another one.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

how about maserati quattroporte or m5? both are hot.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

I wouldn't touch a 7 series with a 10 foot pole. Too stodgy and limo like. I also wouldn't want more MB cars since they really are an image car more than a driving fun car.

You cannot deny that BMW make cars that push the status quo on technology and other issues, and for that one has to accept that the cars are somewhat a "Beta" vehicle that is in production.

Why not consider the 550 once again. It gets better with each car built and each year of production. When it works (which is most of the time), it is an absolute blast to drive.

Think about it some more before you decide.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 14 2005, 01:53 PM
[quote name='cjindustry' date='Mar 14 2005, 03:05 PM']priority is as follows
1. reliability
2. performance
3. image
4. space
5. price

[snapback]101382[/snapback]
Sorry to hear about your problems with the 545i. With the priorities above, it appears that you might want to consider buying a Lexus LS430 (which has unparalleled reliability among luxury cars). Also, there is no doubt that the Lexus dealership service experience will be better than that at any German manufacturer.
[snapback]101402[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have read all of your posts, and you seem to really dislike your experience with BMW, so why are you even considering getting another one?

I agree with the above post; get a Lexus. You'll be pampered.

I had a Lexus coupe when they first came out over 10 years ago; best car I ever had, literally not one problem - and I hated it! Got rid of it after a year and bought a 911 convertible - lousy dealer, no loaner car, periodic service issues - and I loved it! The pleasure I got from driving that car far outweighed the relatively minor annoyances I occassionally endured.

It does not really seem that complicated to me; if you love the driving characteristics of the BMW enough, you will accept the downside, which is inferior reliability and less dealer coddling compared to Japanese competitors. If you are more into reliability, comfort, and a perfect dealer experience, go Japanese.

Quick Reply: 2005 545i or 2006 750i ?