E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Try these steps:

1. "Fully charge" the battery.

2. Use a multi-meter to measure and "confirm" that the battery has 12.6 volts (fully charged).

3. Start the car upon taking steps #1 and #2.

If the car starts "each time after those aforementioned steps", then I think you should consider getting a new battery with all "working cells".

Good luck, man!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW Alpina B5 -05

Originally Posted by E60I
Try these steps:

1. "Fully charge" the battery.

2. Use a multi-meter to measure and "confirm" that the battery has 12.6 volts (fully charged).

3. Start the car upon taking steps #1 and #2.

If the car starts "each time after those aforementioned steps", then I think you should consider getting a new battery with all "working cells".

Good luck, man!
I really appriciate your advice But not to be rude.. I do not hink this is a battery issue at all I wish it would be that simple! As explained in my fist post, the battery holds a steady 12.47V and what i believe is a very good number for a relative new battery (alomst 2yrs now). With engine running aswell as alternator.. Over 14volts.

The fist time I experienced this issue i was like "get ur car man, my battery is out" Uhm.. I don't think so. Even with jumpercables -> No go.

It seems like it will only start on ignition after a minimun 30min driving.

This might be the worst type of issue.. Why not NEVER start at all.. That would give me some kind of realness about my problem. Now it's just all dizzy.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:53 AM
New Members

It's the starter..

Just now i went out to my car, tried to start it and nothing happened.

My girlfriend took place in the drivers seat and i started to bang the starter motor easily and she turned the key. Then it started up just normal.

I will have to have the hammer in my car untill the "new" starter motor arrives.. Lol
Old 08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Contributors

I was just going to reply with the notion that it's likely the starter. But, I see you've found it out already! Great news as this isn't a very expensive fix!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60 2005 545i 82k

I wonder if that is whats wrong with mine as well? My car has been sitting put since saturday when it last was able to start! In this time I've tried to start it once and no go all i get is on the dash screen it says "Service" and then I got Battery Low so i took it out and left it on the charger in my garage.

I still have no idea whats going on with it
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM
New Members

Yes! It's kind of a relief actually! It's been starting normal all day (12 times) since i banged it with the hammer Hopefully it does tomorrow aswell. I think imma need an new starter anyhow.. This problem will probably show up again, I mean, i can't say i repaired it really But it sure did the trick. Brand new starter around 500$ and a used one 200$

I will put this on hold for a while.. If the car seems fine over the weekend i will consider it OK.. If not, i'm buying a new one next week.

@kmillzz Why not give it a shot?? I tell you it's very cheap All you need is a hammer! The car play it's own game if voltage gets low.. Does the car gives out any error codes? From ECU i mean.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60 2005 545i 82k

Originally Posted by F-Tar
@kmillzz Why not give it a shot?? I tell you it's very cheap All you need is a hammer! The car play it's own game if voltage gets low.. Does the car gives out any error codes? From ECU i mean.
Shoot im gonna give it a try lol! And I have 2 note pad pages filled of codes. I am going to scan them and post them on here.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kmillzz
Shoot im gonna give it a try lol! And I have 2 note pad pages filled of codes. I am going to scan them and post them on here.
I think you should I'd like to hear how it turned out afterwards

Make sure to clear error memory and read again, that way you get rid of them errors caused by unmounting the battery. The ones that still left in ECU after clearing is most intresting
Old 08-02-2013, 10:33 AM
New Members

What about this error

9B4B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply
9B8B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply

What could be the cause of that? The fuses looked fine and the mirrors work as they should. The only thing that dosen't work is right mirror heating.

If I'm reading whole car ecu the error is displayed, but if i'm only reading KBM there is no errors stored.. -.-

Last edited by F-Tar; 08-02-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM
New Members

I was going to say it sounds like a bad starter. My starter just crapped out last week. Glad you got it worked out.

Quick Reply: 2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.