E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW Alpina B5 -05
Default 2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.

Hi guys! Big boring trouble here.. My car will not start when turning the key, you can only here the fuelpump buzzing, the starter dont even click.

It started out with just a "slow start".. Just like the battery was out. but i have 12.2V when car off, and 14.4 with alternator, 2yrs old battery. No errors showing up and a very steady cluster aswell as IHKA(Clima). Tried to jumpstart but no joy.

Pushed the car to run, and it did. Drove the whole night yesterday and it started a little slow this morning but it sure started. Then i came home again this afternoon and the car stood for like 6hrs.. Now when i try to start it it's just the fuelpump thats buzzing, had to push it to run again.

I cant keep on going like this, it's embarrasing.. I drive a BMW it's supposed to work!

I had some BSD errors but theyre not present right now.

DME/DDE 281D (BSD SIGNAL)
299B(IBS COMMUNICATION)
281C (BSD WIRE)
E714(Botschaft powermanagement batteriespannung)
Non of them present at the moment.

The only errors present right now is:
STVL/TEFA 9B4B
STVR/TEBF 9B8B dont know what they mean

And:

AFS CE96 6140 6145 (has nothing to do with my issue here)

KLIMA 9C78 injector heater.
And 9C77 additional water pump (not present)

So please guys.. Any inputs would be greeeat! As said.. No battery errors present right now after i disconnected the battery. Could it be the starter?

It's like it won't start at first, then after like 30min it starts as usual. Thats what happened just a moment ago. Weirdest issue -.-

Thanks for any ideas.

F-Tar

Last edited by F-Tar; 07-29-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

It seems your problem could be with your Battery Cables. From those codes, I looked them up and they point to the battery cables, not sure which. If you have a problem with the cable it will usually cause a DME error.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW e60 2005 545i 82k

let me tell you that your not the only one right now facing this issue. My 05 545i is doing the same thing but when i try to start it it will turn over but on dash it reads "Service" and falls to start. So hopefully we can get something handled.

My car has been sitting for over a week cause my mechanic has yet to solve this issue for me!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
It seems your problem could be with your Battery Cables. From those codes, I looked them up and they point to the battery cables, not sure which. If you have a problem with the cable it will usually cause a DME error.
Thank you for replying (Y)

Okey, last time i looked at the battery the cables were sitting tight, non of the loose of what i could see. I also checked by the alternator, they were also sitting tight.

What i couldent see really was by the starter.. It's kind of behind the engine so i didn't manage to feel the cables right there. Du you think it could be the ground? Or maybe the coal on the alternator or the starter. It can go from not even click to just run the oter minute.

Even tho i have this trouble right now, non of my earlier BDS-errors are present at the moment.
What is this error :
STVL/TEFA 9B4B
STVR/TEBF 9B8B ?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by kmillzz
let me tell you that your not the only one right now facing this issue. My 05 545i is doing the same thing but when i try to start it it will turn over but on dash it reads "Service" and falls to start. So hopefully we can get something handled.

My car has been sitting for over a week cause my mechanic has yet to solve this issue for me!
Wow sounds even worse than my issue here I do not get any errors at all on dash. It just looks normal.. Maybe cus i have a faulty BSD and IBS signal :S

Please keep me updated with any intel on ur issue aswell. Would be fun to hear what a dealer would say about this problem..
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 AM
New Members

Were is DME placed in the car? Maybe it got wet or something! It didnt start just a moment ago. Its a rainy day here aswell.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by F-Tar
Were is DME placed in the car? Maybe it got wet or something! It didnt start just a moment ago. Its a rainy day here aswell.
9B4B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply
9B8B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply

Both these error seem to be with power supply to your mirrors. The DME is located on your passenger side under the hood below the cabin air filter. It is located inside the ebox which is supposed to be water tight so unlikely to get wet from rain.

I really think you have issues with the cable, doesn't have to be visible could be IBS or Safety terminal detonating.

Try to get a diagnostic with DIS or a comparable tool.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:28 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
9B4B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply
9B8B Mirror position, potentiometer, supply

Both these error seem to be with power supply to your mirrors. The DME is located on your passenger side under the hood below the cabin air filter. It is located inside the ebox which is supposed to be water tight so unlikely to get wet from rain.

I really think you have issues with the cable, doesn't have to be visible could be IBS or Safety terminal detonating.

Try to get a diagnostic with DIS or a comparable tool.
What? My mirriors are working just fine, just the left one that dosen't heat And that they're not memorising my settings when adjusting :S lol.. Maybe they are not working fine after all.. But i can adjust them anyways. But what could that be.. A fuse?

Thank you for explaining were DME is placed But as you say.. It can hardly be wet.

But when you say cable.. Do you mean the positive from the alternator, or from the battery to the starter and so on? Maybe it could be a little loose somewere.

I have INPA.. that's why i was able to write these error codes in my first post. I just didn't know that 9B8B 9B4B was the mirrors. When using inpa you have to look up urself in that specifik module for an actual explination.. And it's in german.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
New Members

Sorry for the bad iPhone pic.. Here is the BSD errors which are not present at the moment even tho the starting issue still is present..
Attached Thumbnails 2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.-e60bsd.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM
New Members

Been in the garage the whole day trying to figure out what's the problem with the starter (or whatelse) without any sucess. Today i have pushed it to start like 5 times.. Was out driving for like 40min just now, and when i parked the car. I turned it off, pulled out the key and waited for some seconds. After that, the car started as normal THREE times in a row. It will probably not start tomorrow.

What is the problem, brushes or what? I'm not really sure if i want to buy another starter motor just now.. It seems to work from time to time. But when it don't.. It's not making any sound at all.. Only thing you can hear is the fuelpump buzzing. No common errors.

The video is not that intresting, i'm just trying to get you guys a little feeling about the problem. I was alone at the moment and coulden't film the engine bay.. But i swear, the starter is not making a single sound. It's so weird that i just started the car 3times in a row after been driving for 40min.

Quick Reply: 2004 E60 M54B30 won't start.