E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 bmw e60 525i NEED HELP PLEASEE

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2004 bmw 525i please help
Hi i was wondering if anyone has any information that could help me out. please and thank you
its a 2004 bmw 525i manual transmission with 84000, i just bought it from a dealership bout 6 months ago.

the other day i was at a red light and my service engine soon light came on as well as the high emission alert. that was my car started to rumble, but when i step on the clutch the rumble goes away. when i drive the car it drives perfectly normal its just when it come to an idle the car begins to rumble as if it was bout to die. it idles a little above 500 rpm but when i step on the clutch it idle around 6 or 7 hundred rpm

i changed the spark plugs to the bosch platinum +4 and the problem got worst, so i went to exchange the spark plugs for some ngk iridiums and it got better but the car still shook at an idle. when i took out the bosch platinums the tips were brown look like it was burnt

i took my car to a mechanic and he ran the the test. it said my car was misfiring almost all the cylinders and fuel was running too lean.

does anyone have an idea what it could be,
Edit/Delete Message
Old 11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Most likely your DISA I would suspect. Problem is not your spark plugs both NGK and Bosch Platinum are BMW OEM parts...I use bosch platinum plus 4. DISA valve, take it out (a few torx screws ans check it. The intake manifold sounds like it's being messed with... the DISA controls the airflow in/out...you'll probably only see choking issues when idling and then when you rev up engine they go away...this is because your DISA opens up at high RPS and is supposed to close at low RPM's. If the DISA is suspect it's because it's not closing and your DME is still adjusting for a closed DISA. I'd diagnose your car remotely but I'm having hard drive problems and suspect you most likely don't have the proper cable right? check out ebay that's where i got my stuff..actually bought it from their website but its the same thing 280748685722
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 AM
New Members

Hey,I am also new here and just joined for the same specific problem I had(and have again) with my 2004 530i.

So...I got the car in late June of this year from the original owner with a little over 60,000 miles on it,all good until about 3 weeks later when I had the same thing happening to me,just like you are describing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light popped and the car almost died on me at idle,as soon as I would press the clutch(mine is a manual trans also)the rpm's will jump back to normal.
Was I pissed...?like hell and I instantly thought why the heck did I not get an ES350 the car that I wanted to get instead of the bimmer...for some reason whenever I had an european car it always showed some defects even at low miles.Ok enough chit-chat.
I called my mechanic which i know for about 9 years now and I must say that when he is sober I trust him all the way.Since I know a little about cars and this was the only guy that never tried to bullshit me.So I took the car over and he said misfire something I can't remember,he said that I need the PCV Valve replaced,it was a $600 job with a $200 discount down to $400,anyway I think it was really expensive,but the car was fixed and it ran awesome no lights.......until last week when....surprise: SERVICE ENGINE SOON popped up again,same computer message(increased emmissions or something like that) just like the first time.So I called my mech again but he is not in town until next week so I will take the car over to check it again.I do have a guess though...I am doing something very wrong I think.Two times a week I only start the car for about 45 seconds to just move it like 30 feet because I need the parking spot that it sits in,and immediately shut it off.Since June when I got it I put about 2,000 miles on it,I barely drive it to the store and back since I drive for a living and I am mostly gone.So I am waiting for my mech to come back but my guess is that is just an error message due to those short starts in the morning sometimes the weather is cold.I hope it is not the catalitic converter,this time though no stalling no change in the engine performance whatsoever...I will be following with updates,hope this helps a little...goodluck,Gabe
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 AM
New Members

oh one more thing...fuel too lean i would bet big on the PCV valve well DISA,my mech called it PCV...:-)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i Manual

I'm having the same issues on my Manual 530i. I'm going to change out my plugs and replace my pvc valve. I'll keep you guys posted.