E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 BMW 545i Rough idle, stalling, trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 194 Likes on 189 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Rough idle if something jumped and broke inside the engine, on a BMW?
Old 01-26-2021, 09:36 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto

a. it would make a LOT of noise while it died and b. you would have to crack it open to diagnose
The following users liked this post:
Ldrake_4 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:18 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

He had someone with a real BMW diagnostic tool read everything and he also took off oil pan to find that there was barely any oil and plastic pieces. There was a lot of oil leaking form the seals it looked like and the oil sensor must have broke because I didn't get any low oil codes. I'm not sure how it could have gotten that low that fast because I check coolant and oil fairy frequently but I should have checked the oil more often I guess.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:52 PM
New Members

Sad to hear. The plastic pieces are probably timing chain guides I guess. Based on that, once the engine ran low on oil, the timing chain guides failed and then the timing chain was free to jump around. I personally wouldn't rule out swapping in a good engine, or even repairing the one that is in there, but either of these would be a reasonably big undertaking. The last time I swapped an engine (in a simpler car) it took me a solid week doing it solo. If your friend is willing to lend you some time and space it would be a good exercise.

But, it is also valid to write this car off and part it out.
Ldrake_4 (03-20-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 07:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Anthro
Sad to hear. The plastic pieces are probably timing chain guides I guess. Based on that, once the engine ran low on oil, the timing chain guides failed and then the timing chain was free to jump around. I personally wouldn't rule out swapping in a good engine, or even repairing the one that is in there, but either of these would be a reasonably big undertaking. The last time I swapped an engine (in a simpler car) it took me a solid week doing it solo. If your friend is willing to lend you some time and space it would be a good exercise.

But, it is also valid to write this car off and part it out.
Originally Posted by donpb
Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Me too
I am planning on at least taking off the head on the bank that had problems and taking it to a machine shop to see what can be done about it. Does anybody recommend a gasket kit that I should I buy for this? I am sure there are tons of gaskets you have to replace, I am just not sure which ones. Has anybody removed one of the head before on this engine?

Also do i need and special tools to remove the head? I am not planning on dropping the engine.
\\Thanks
Old 02-09-2021, 11:34 AM
New Members

"he also took off oil pan to find that there was barely any oil and plastic pieces"

If this is right, then most likely the engine was oil-starved, the timing chain tensioner disintegrated, the timing chain jumped, and we know the engine ran badly for some time with the timing off before failing completely.

Unfortunately I don't think the problems are going to come down to one head, for starters you have the timing chain/tensioner problems, but most importantly the engine ran without oil. And was leaking a lot of oil before that. So there is a lot to fix with this engine. The fact it was oil starved concerns me the most; you could fix everything else and end up with a car that burns oil and blows smoke.

That is not to say it can't be done. Maybe you could consider buying a good used engine, cleaning it up, and putting it in. It is still a big job of course.

Ldrake_4 (03-20-2021)
Old 02-09-2021, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 318 Likes on 305 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I second getting a used engine and be done with it.

If your set on a rebuild the ebay has a kit.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 02-09-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Ldrake_4 (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 06:38 PM
New Members

If your set on a rebuild the ebay has a kit.
Originally Posted by Anthro
"he also took off oil pan to find that there was barely any oil and plastic pieces"

If this is right, then most likely the engine was oil-starved, the timing chain tensioner disintegrated, the timing chain jumped, and we know the engine ran badly for some time with the timing off before failing completely.

Unfortunately I don't think the problems are going to come down to one head, for starters you have the timing chain/tensioner problems, but most importantly the engine ran without oil. And was leaking a lot of oil before that. So there is a lot to fix with this engine. The fact it was oil starved concerns me the most; you could fix everything else and end up with a car that burns oil and blows smoke.

That is not to say it can't be done. Maybe you could consider buying a good used engine, cleaning it up, and putting it in. It is still a big job of course.
Originally Posted by donpb
Yesterday I did after pulling the plugs and coil packs I did a compression test. The bank with the misfires had cleaner sparkplug than the other bank for some reason ( see pictures).( the cleaner plugs are from bank 2 drivers side, where the misfires were. The dirtier were bank 1 passenger side)
Anyways the compression test gave me 90 for all for cylinders on the passenger side bank, I think is bank 1, and anywhere form 180 to 210 on the bank 2, the one that had misfires.

This is intimately very confusing. Why would the bank with the supposedly advanced timing and misfires in all 4 cylinders have good compression but the supposedly good bank not?

Coincidentally all of the coolant is pooled on the passenger side of the skid plate beneath the car. This very well could be a result of my coolant o ring repair job not being done correctly but it still seems odd to me and leads me to suspect the headgaske on that bank is bad. But even so that passenger side bank's having a bad headgasket doesn't explain the misfires and timing on the OTHER bank, the one with good compression.

Ultimately I am very lost and would benefit any input anybody has. Thank you and let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

If your engine is horribly messed up, you're going to get misleading codes and end up running around in circles chasing ghosts.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I third that motion.

Quick Reply: 2004 BMW 545i Rough idle, stalling, trouble starting