E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 BMW 545i Rough idle, stalling, trouble starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 04:50 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
You need the codes. At this moment it doesn't matter if it's a BMW code reader or generic. You need to know what it's telling you. Once you have the generic code you can go from there. I don't know if you're in the states or not but the parts store will let you borrow there's if you don't have one. You're looking for codes in the 300's (p0300-06) or codes in the 700's (p701-2).

The codes are above. Can you make anything out of that?

Thank you for your responses, I really appreciate the help.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Anthro
Long ago when I was a jaguar guy the motto was, "always suspect the last thing you did."

FWIW as far as code readers go, I went with a cable off ebay and INPA etc on a laptop. With this I've also been able to do a few minor coding tweaks, like getting rid of the legal disclaimer that iDrive always boots with, and adding an aux input.

I don't think "lack of back pressure" is really a thing. But if you want to put that notion to bed, it is not like it is hard to partially block the exhaust tips and see if it makes any difference to your idle. Also (just while you are waiting on a code reader), is it possible you left an o2 sensor disconnected, or anything like that?
Well based on the codes I posted above I think back pressure is not the worst of my problems right now. Personally I don't think back pressure has anything to do with what is happening with the car.

Thank you for your response by the way.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:04 PM
New Members

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i auto

Yeah I doubt it is back pressure. I would suspect you only have one problem resulting in all those codes. The P0024 is interesting. Cylinders 5-8 are all on bank 2 so the P0024 and the P00305/6/7/8 could all be from one issue.

I understand you can swap the cam position sensors between the two banks and then re-check to see if the error follows the position sensor. The sensor is near the firewall and a 5mm allen bolt holds it in. I have never done this and it might be fiddly to undo the screws, but it is fairly visible once you've taken off the engine cover.

I haven't had my 545i long so I haven't gotten too stuck into it, therefore you should wait until others comment before following anything i say But, maybe swap those sensors and see if you still get the p0024 or you get a p0014 (?) instead, ie the other bank.

The following users liked this post:
Ldrake_4 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 312 Likes on 299 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The 491 and 492 wouldn't be the cause of your issues. Although it's not an expensive thing to fix if your are doing it yourself. More than likely it's just a bad hose (just fixed mine and cost me around $25 for the hose.

With the codes you have I would go with diagnosing with INPA on a laptop or tablet and buying kcan Dcan cable. Clear all the codes and put the car in the 2 position and see what comes back. I wouldn't say it's timing but something to do with it that would make the car think your timing is off. How's your oil change intervals? What type of oil you use? 2 very important questions with the issue you are having.

Your misfires are being caused by the main cause so those you can ignore for now. You need to do process of elimination. Are you sure you didn't unplug anything and didn't plug it all the way back in?

The Cam sensor and purge codes should be your focus. Start with why you cam sensor and vanos solenoids. If it can read the position you car will see it's out of time. Swap the sensors and solenoids to see if it moves banks.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 01-12-2021 at 05:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by seanjordan20:
Anthro (01-12-2021), Ldrake_4 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:26 PM
New Members

The 491 and 492 wouldn't be the cause of your issues. Although it's not an expensive thing to fix if your are doing it yourself. More than likely it's just a bad hose (just fixed mine and cost me around $25 for the hose.

With the codes you have I would go with diagnosing with INPA on a laptop or tablet and buying kcan Dcan cable. Clear all the codes and put the car in the 2 position and see what comes back. I wouldn't say it's timing but something to do with it that would make the car think your timing is off. How's your oil change intervals? What type of oil you use?

Your misfires are being caused by the main cause so those you can ignore for now. You need to do process of elimination. Are you sure you didn't unplug anything and didn't plug it all the way back in?

The Cam sensor and purge codes should be your focus. Start with why you cam sensor is having an issue. If it can read the position you car will see it's out of time.
I have only heard of the expensive fixes for the 0491 and 0492. What hose are your fixing for that?

I cannot start the car aka it will not start. I know not much about the timing of car other than the basics. How would put the car into position two? Turn the engine over manually through a pulley?

As far as i know I have kept up with oil changes. I changed it over the summer and I used the correct oil.

As far as the unplugging, the last time i took apart anything in the engine bay, other than just cabin filters and intake, was months and months ago so I don't think there is anything undone.

I will purchase the cord and the INPA which I am assuming is a software. I will also try switching the sensors tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ldrake_4
I have only heard of the expensive fixes for the 0491 and 0492. What hose are your fixing for that?

I cannot start the car aka it will not start. I know not much about the timing of car other than the basics. How would put the car into position two? Turn the engine over manually through a pulley?

As far as i know I have kept up with oil changes. I changed it over the summer and I used the correct oil.

As far as the unplugging, the last time i took apart anything in the engine bay, other than just cabin filters and intake, was months and months ago so I don't think there is anything undone.

I will purchase the cord and the INPA which I am assuming is a software. I will also try switching the sensors tomorrow.
If you need a copy of the software let me know.

Position 2 is the key position (the position just before you start the car).

With your 491 and 492 codes I forgot you ha e the N62. There's a lot of solutions out there to fix the problem but they take time and money. I'm glad I have the M54. It was easy to fix my issue.
Ldrake_4 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 06:35 PM
New Members

If you need a copy of the software let me know.

Position 2 is the key position (the position just before you start the car).

With your 491 and 492 codes I forgot you ha e the N62. There's a lot of solutions out there to fix the problem but they take time and money. I'm glad I have the M54. It was easy to fix my issue.

If you could send me that software that would be great. I feel pretty dumb not recognizing what the second key position was lol.

Thank you so much for your help so far. I will try everything tomorrow with the exception the code, I ordered the cable but it has to ship.

Do you know anything about the purge valve? This is my first time hearing about. I am just wondering if the code comes back if i should just replace it or if there is a fix.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ldrake_4
If you could send me that software that would be great. I feel pretty dumb not recognizing what the second key position was lol.

Thank you so much for your help so far. I will try everything tomorrow with the exception the code, I ordered the cable but it has to ship.

Do you know anything about the purge valve? This is my first time hearing about. I am just wondering if the code comes back if i should just replace it or if there is a fix.
PM me your email so I can send you a link to download the software.

The purge valve is not important right now. It just effects fuel economy. You can find the valve just left of the dip stick sitting under the intake. It's a small cylinder piece with a hose coming out of it. It just slides of the bracket it's on.

The P0024 code is your focus. Check the camshaft sensor and you vanos solenoids.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 01-12-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:04 PM
New Members

Thumbs up

PM me your email so I can send you a link to download the software.

The purge valve is not important right now. It just effects fuel economy. You can find the valve just left of the dip stick sitting under the intake. It's a small cylinder piece with a hose coming out of it. It just slides of the bracket it's on.

The P0024 code is your focus. Check the camshaft sensor and you vanos solenoids.
Alright I sent you a PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot one thing that could very well be your issue (more than likely). The eccentric shaft sensor. Check it to see if there's oil behind the plug. It's a fairly expensive piece but sounds like the cause to all your issues.

Part # 11-37-7-527-017

If replacing the part you need to pull the valve cover and also replace the valve cover gasket and valve cover bolts. Some people reuse the bolts but you're not suppose to.

If you were in the USA you can find an aftermarket for around $130 or an OEM (VDO) around $200. Since you are abroad you may get stuck paying the $500 price tag for that part unless you have someplace you can get it cheaper.
Attached Thumbnails 2004 BMW 545i Rough idle, stalling, trouble starting-photo143.jpg  
Anthro (01-15-2021)

Quick Reply: 2004 BMW 545i Rough idle, stalling, trouble starting