E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i - need help with engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I know I'm new here, but I'm having some trouble with my 2004 545i, I was hoping someone might have had the same problem.

Background:
107k miles
Automatic

Other issues:
Obd mentioned low coolant temperature, which didn't repeat after being cleared
Car loses 1 qt of oil every 5k miles

Mechanic wants a lot for diagnosis, for taking off the valve cover, I want to see if anyone has had similar problems and if it's a serious problem enough to justify thousands in repair costs

Any ideas?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I am 99% sure it's your water pump. The plastic impeller and the bearing are done. I'd get that replaced right away. It's not a bad DIY if you wanted to do it yourself. I think the re-manufactured pumps are around $170. Oh, and get a fresh serpentine belt while you are at it. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I am 99% sure it's your water pump. The plastic impeller and the bearing are done. I'd get that replaced right away. It's not a bad DIY if you wanted to do it yourself. I think the re-manufactured pumps are around $170. Oh, and get a fresh serpentine belt while you are at it. Good luck!
I hope it's the water pump, but I spoke to the mechanic again, he says the additional labor is for checking under the right valve cover. Before I shell out 3-4 hours of labor I want to be sure it's worth it
Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
Take off your belt and see if you can jiggle the pulley to the water pump. If it jiggles or moves a lot, then it definitely needs replacement. You should be able to replicate the sound by spinning the pulley with the belt off. Also, be sure to not overtighten the star-bolts from the thermostat to the water pump, I stripped one once before. While you're at it, change the black pipe that connects the water pump to the engine block, these tend to wear out and crack.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

take off you belt and run the engine for a little bit....no more than a minute max.... and see if the noise is still there.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

mine starting to go as well, its the pump....while its running grab a hold of the hose going into it, you will probably be able to feel the sound..BMW dealer wants $650to replace....
Old 02-21-2012, 02:07 PM
New Members

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, and I'm not at the stage where I can do a water pump myself, maybe a light, oil, top off fluids.

It sounds like a lifter issue, are the two sounds similar and easy to mistake? Its coming from the front/top passenger side of the engine.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by secretcomp
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, and I'm not at the stage where I can do a water pump myself, maybe a light, oil, top off fluids.

It sounds like a lifter issue, are the two sounds similar and easy to mistake? Its coming from the front/top passenger side of the engine.
it sorta does sound like a lifter, but the sound goes away for a bit towards the end of the video. bad lifters would usually constantly make noise.

try taking the belt off and run the engine for a bit. if the noise is still there, get a cheap $10 automotive stethoscope and start probing for where the sound is coming from.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by secretcomp
Its coming from the front/top passenger side of the engine.
Maybe vacuum pump?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i

im still saying water pump...take off the belt and see if it stops...if its the pump it will stop, if its lifters or the like it will not... good luck

Quick Reply: 2004 545i - need help with engine noise