E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 545i E60 Navigation Retrofit maybe BT

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006 | 07:56 PM
Members

I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. I have been reading on the forum here for the last week and have not really found a good answer to what i am trying to find out. I have a 2004 545i that i bought in the spring of last year. I love the car, but am pretty dissapointed that it has no bluetooth or navigation. I have taken it to the dealer and getting a answer from them is not working for me. My production date is 12/03 and it has satelite as well as navigation prep. I do have the voice button next to the menu button below the idrive control. i was told by the dealer it has the older version of bmw's phone service in it which is NOT bt. I would love to retrofit navigation onto this vehicle but like i said no direct answer on what it will take. One service writer told me $3800 installed. I am sure this is way too expensive as i have seen posts where people have spent much less than this. My question is, how can i find out what it will take to get the navigation as well as the bluetooth working on my car? Is there somewhere i can look or ask, exactly what my car already has as well as what i will need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2006 | 08:38 PM
Members

I think $3800 for the navigation retrofit sounds about right. Please note that it will always cost more than if it was ordered with the car, simply because the parts cost as an aftermarket accessory and you also have to factor in many hours of labor. I don't know where you read that it was cheaper, because I have seen anything like that. Some members even say that it might be cheaper to buy a new car with the options you want in come cases. The same applies for BT, it might not be quite expensive as $3800, but it will cost you a considerable amount of money.
Old 04-27-2006 | 09:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

Originally Posted by fwd4g63' post='275061' date='Apr 27 2006, 10:56 PM
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me. I have been reading on the forum here for the last week and have not really found a good answer to what i am trying to find out. I have a 2004 545i that i bought in the spring of last year. I love the car, but am pretty dissapointed that it has no bluetooth or navigation. I have taken it to the dealer and getting a answer from them is not working for me. My production date is 12/03 and it has satelite as well as navigation prep. I do have the voice button next to the menu button below the idrive control. i was told by the dealer it has the older version of bmw's phone service in it which is NOT bt. I would love to retrofit navigation onto this vehicle but like i said no direct answer on what it will take. One service writer told me $3800 installed. I am sure this is way too expensive as i have seen posts where people have spent much less than this. My question is, how can i find out what it will take to get the navigation as well as the bluetooth working on my car? Is there somewhere i can look or ask, exactly what my car already has as well as what i will need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there, it can be done! I have an '04 545i Sport, production date of 09/03 and I also inquired my dealer.
I spoke with my lead shop foreman who gets the latest information from BMW. Navigation is about $2500 installed and the bluetooth is about $500 installed. Hope this helps! PM or email me if you have any further questions. Good luck!
Old 04-28-2006 | 09:49 AM
Senior Members

BMW offered to retrofit Nav in MY2004 E-60's through May of 2005 for the original option price of $1800, however, the E-60 had to have a production date in 2003. For the bluetooth, you will need the CPT9000 eject box and the bluetooth upgrade module for pre March 2004 builds.The upgrade module is about $220 from Gary @ Newport BMW, Newport Rhode Island. A new TCU is also an option but I believe that's about 2K.
Old 04-28-2006 | 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='275293' date='Apr 28 2006, 12:49 PM
For the bluetooth, you will need the CPT9000 eject box and the bluetooth upgrade module. The upgrade module is about $220 from Gary @ Newport BMW, Newport Rhode Island.
I'm not sure that's accurate. For BT pre-03/04 builds you'll need an updated TCU and some software. You don't need the eject box. Click on the BT link in my signature for the nitty gritty.
Old 04-28-2006 | 01:30 PM
Senior Members

But if he can't get a new TCU under warranty, the BTUM is a less expensive option.
Old 04-28-2006 | 08:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Sans' post='275298' date='Apr 28 2006, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure that's accurate. For BT pre-03/04 builds you'll need an updated TCU and some software. You don't need the eject box. Click on the BT link in my signature for the nitty gritty.
Sans, wow i read your post on the bluetooth and it seems you either got a great service writer or a extreme stroke of luck. When i bought the car i went to the dealer and they told me the whole, no it isnt possible cause of the production date. I even wrote to bmwusa and they responded with nothing to say other than they will make the dealer aware of my issue and that they can not help me and it would be too costly of a upgrade so they dont support it. Obviously after having researched it, i have found out lots of people have retrofited and or had the upgrade done for not too horrible of a cost. I dont have another bmw dealer within any close or acceptable distance from where i live near Charlotte NC to go and try to ask about getting this handled or done. So, i assume i am currently at some dead end for the time being, unless i want to kick out the big bucks for a new tcu on my dollar.
Old 05-02-2006 | 06:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by fwd4g63' post='275514' date='Apr 28 2006, 11:14 PM
Sans, wow i read your post on the bluetooth and it seems you either got a great service writer or a extreme stroke of luck. When i bought the car i went to the dealer and they told me the whole, no it isnt possible cause of the production date. I even wrote to bmwusa and they responded with nothing to say other than they will make the dealer aware of my issue and that they can not help me and it would be too costly of a upgrade so they dont support it. Obviously after having researched it, i have found out lots of people have retrofited and or had the upgrade done for not too horrible of a cost. I dont have another bmw dealer within any close or acceptable distance from where i live near Charlotte NC to go and try to ask about getting this handled or done. So, i assume i am currently at some dead end for the time being, unless i want to kick out the big bucks for a new tcu on my dollar.
Yes I think you've got it and yes I was extremely lucky. Assuming you really want it I would push your dealer politely and try and find a way to share the cost. I find with my dealer that if I approach them rationaly with the ever-present reminder that I will likely need more cars in the future they've been fair with me. You might not get it for free but perhaps suggest 50/50? If you thought this was an option your car had, they may be willing to work with you.

Otherwise to JTP's point there are cheaper ways to get a phone to work in your car, albeit not as cool <_< . Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-02-2006 | 10:58 AM
Contributors

I want to retrofit nav on my car, but there is a few things pull me back:
1. I can retrofit the hardware myself, but the produre is install the latest software and install hardware. I don't want to do the reverse, and it might not work.
2. I-Drive interface will be slowed down dramatically.
3. It's just a cool factor, and I don't really needed
Old 06-04-2006 | 09:22 AM
Members

Ok, well after much kicking and screaming i finaly got my bluetooth installed. To be honest i think basically what happened was that i just go too annoying. Every time i took the car in for any kind of work or maintenance, i asked about it. This last time for my 20k oil change the service writer told me that my car may actually have the correct tcu in it and it would just be a $200 software update. I was fine with that and had them do it. THey called me about 5 hours later and told me my tcu crashed while they were updating the software in it. That was bad news till he told me i was getting the new upgraded version to replace mine, with the bluetooth already in it. It took 3 days while i was stuck in a 325i loaner till i got my car back. Now that i have it back, i links with either of my phones with no problem and works beautifully. Now on to the nav retrofit. If anyone can tell me what nav prep means on the sale sticker that would be a great help. If anyone knows what i need to make this happen please share.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2004 545i E60 Navigation Retrofit maybe BT