E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 545i Clock/time question, what/where controls it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default 2004 545i Clock/time question, what/where controls it?

Question about my clock, constantly needs setting and even when set , message in CID still says "Set clock and date!" , then sometimes it shows in KOMBI and sometimes it does not, also usually stops when car is shut off.

This problem has been getting more frequent in the last 6 months and once car has been driven for an hour or longer gets much less frequent.

Is the clock coming from the DME or is it KOMBI, or what ECU is it that contains/controls the clock signals?

And no, do not believe I have a voltage/battery problem, AGM battery less than a year old and installed by dealer.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Question about my clock, constantly needs setting and even when set , message in CID still says "Set clock and date!" , then sometimes it shows in KOMBI and sometimes it does not, also usually stops when car is shut off.

This problem has been getting more frequent in the last 6 months and once car has been driven for an hour or longer gets much less frequent.

Is the clock coming from the DME or is it KOMBI, or what ECU is it that contains/controls the clock signals?

And no, do not believe I have a voltage/battery problem, AGM battery less than a year old and installed by dealer.
oops, was asking about the battery sorry. free bump! lol
how about a battery registration, was the battery registered to the car?

Last edited by Bill109; 06-03-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Time/Date resetting issues are known to be cause by a faulty IBS sensor which is built in to negative battery cable. (IBS = Intelligent Battery Sensor). You might want to look into that!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by llcoolj0n
Time/Date resetting issues are known to be cause by a faulty IBS sensor which is built in to negative battery cable. (IBS = Intelligent Battery Sensor). You might want to look into that!

Have had it disconnected for awhile and still same issues, therefore don't believe the IBS could be the cause???
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 530i

Well, it's not a matter of resetting by unplugging for 5 minutes. Once these cables go bad, you would have to replace it. A dealer or an indy can use their scanner's to see if there's a fault for it. Or you can measure the ohms on the sensor, should be under 3.5ohms or so, 3.6 would be considered faulty.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Members

The clock is kept in KOMBI. You clearly have electrical issue if KOMBI looses the power while in sleep (KL30). Check the battery voltage when it happens next time. If it's around 12V it could the IBS. If it's well below 12V something is wrong with your charging system including IBS or some module does not go to sleep in drains the battery. Do you also get an error message "high discharge"?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 AM
New Members

Well, it's not a matter of resetting by unplugging for 5 minutes. Once these cables go bad, you would have to replace it. A dealer or an indy can use their scanner's to see if there's a fault for it. Or you can measure the ohms on the sensor, should be under 3.5ohms or so, 3.6 would be considered faulty.
Been to my indy with it and he was stumped, also do my own scanning and only faults I get consistently is from DME/KOMBI - CAN bus communications failure #27EE.
Am reluctant to go to dealer as they will likely replace ECU's and charge me excessive $'s.......
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dbond
The clock is kept in KOMBI. You clearly have electrical issue if KOMBI looses the power while in sleep (KL30). Check the battery voltage when it happens next time. If it's around 12V it could the IBS. If it's well below 12V something is wrong with your charging system including IBS or some module does not go to sleep in drains the battery. Do you also get an error message "high discharge"?
No never had any sort of "discharge" fault codes or messages. Voltage has been checked extensively and is ok maybe a bit lower than I would like it to me but always around 12.5V or higher when car running of course.
Have been suspicious of my charging volts as they fluctuate randomly continuously from the low 13 volts to 14.5's, as a matter of fact have a regulator in the mail to me as I feel it is worthwhile to eliminate that as a possible cause.
Battery is a dealer installed OEM AGM by PO less than a year ago.

For more info on my issue see here:
BMW Coding Forum
and here:
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...riving-128052/

Last edited by cmyachtie; 06-06-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 AM
New Members

Are you sure?..3.5 ohms? this IBS IIRC is connecting the plus and minus of the battery and with 3.5 ohms something is going to go POOOFFffff with 1000amps really quick.

My IBS read around 60KOhms which sounds to mere accurate and realistic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IBS Wiring Diagram System.pdf (21.4 KB, 877 views)

Last edited by cmyachtie; 06-07-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dbond
I have disconnected the KOMBI, put voltmeter on the power pins of the connector and sat there and watched, nothing changed steady power to the KOMBI so my suspicion is the signal connection or signal is not right somehow as power seems ok to me.
Also had KOMBI on my bench and applied 12 volts to it none of these weird tings happened then either just powered up and acted like it should.....

Quick Reply: 2004 545i Clock/time question, what/where controls it?