E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

Hello,

http://www.lifequalitybmw.com/Preowned-Inv...toryId=18838461

This is the car that I was looking at getting. It's a CPO. They want $32,600 for it. I applied for the financing and was approved at 4.9% for 72 months with the first two payments covered.

They also offered an extended maintenance plan for $1995. They offered $6,500 as trade in on my car. My current car has 109K on it. It's a 2000 328Ci.

When it's all said and done, I'll be looking at a $450/mo car payment.

I've got the weekend to think about it. What do you guys think? Is there something I should look out for with the 530? When I got my 328Ci, I didn't know about the subframe or the tranny problems? Are there any problems with the 2004 5 series?

I'm also scanning through these forums (and many others) this weekend so I could make a more informed decision. Any help that can be provided would be most certainly appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry
Old 05-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Members

You can research the price online, as far as the model goes, been very happy with my 2007 530. There have been a few issues with 2004 530's, however CIP update would have resolved most. Research this site for info on common problems. Ask dealer to pull up warranty record for work performed, this could be a clue into the cars past, also, ask if CIP version has been updated, this resolved many annoyances with some e60's. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Members

I would find out the build date. I have a 2004 530i built in 08/03 and there are a few accessories that it does not have like bluetooth, and the ability to install the ipod integration kit. If I had been reading these forums I would have gotten a later build date maybe even one built after 03/04. It seems to me the price for a "2004" would be the same regardless of the build date and the later it was built the better.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Members

Thanks for the advice. I've been all over the internet the past couple of days and have been googling the car like crazy. I also went back ot the dealership and test drove it once more. I plan on picking up the car on Wednesday evening. Instead of trading in my 3 series, I'm going to put it up on EBay and sell it myself to make a little bit more money.

In my research, I've read that I need to do the followling things:
Ask the dealership for a Carfax
Ask the dealership for the total service history of the car
Check the build date
Check if the IDrive has been updated to the latest software upgrade

I also found that the car has the premium package and the cold weather package. It does not have navigation, xenon headlamps, active steering, active cruise control, Logic 7 sound, etc.

I also found this on the car:
http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/detail.htm?VIN=B...amp;pagerecs=25

I checked the stock number and it is the same car.

Thanks again for all the advice,
Henry
Old 05-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Members

The dealership did show me a Carfax and also the service history of the car but it was a quick glance. I didn't see anything glaring on the Carfax but I'm still going to ask for a printed copy.

The service history was nothing more than a bunch of numbers on paper but I read online that the numbers can be decoded and it'll show you what the previous owner had the car in for.

Can I ask the dealership to give me a copy of the Certified Pre-Owned paperwork that they filled out on the car? I saw a blank copy of one on the net and it would be the perfect thing to have if they would give it to me. I did ask the dealer if the car has ever had any paintwork done to it and he said no and that BMW would not certify a car with major paint work.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Titanium Silver Metallic, Premium Package Black leather, Cold Package, Auto, Multi-contour seats, Fold down rear seats, Xenon, Navigation HUD.

Originally Posted by HPLouis' post='428902' date='May 27 2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. I've been all over the internet the past couple of days and have been googling the car like crazy. I also went back ot the dealership and test drove it once more. I plan on picking up the car on Wednesday evening. Instead of trading in my 3 series, I'm going to put it up on EBay and sell it myself to make a little bit more money.

In my research, I've read that I need to do the followling things:
Ask the dealership for a Carfax
Ask the dealership for the total service history of the car
Check the build date
Check if the IDrive has been updated to the latest software upgrade

I also found that the car has the premium package and the cold weather package. It does not have navigation, xenon headlamps, active steering, active cruise control, Logic 7 sound, etc.

I also found this on the car:
http://www.bmwusa.com/cpo/detail.htm?VIN=B...amp;pagerecs=25

I checked the stock number and it is the same car.

Thanks again for all the advice,
Henry
If you decide to buy it negotiate the price of the maintenence contract. I was offered maintenence @ $1400 on my 2004. Good luck
Old 06-01-2007, 04:41 PM
Members

Hello,
I went to another dealership to buy another 530i for a lower price. I saw a car going through the CPO certification. It was a Titanium Grey? or Titanium Silver? (can't remember the name of the color right now) 545i 6sp man, sport. It had 30K miles and had a grey leather interior. I drove it and fell in love.

Then I quickly fell out of love when the salesman said $43.9K. We argued for over 3 hours and he wouldn't budge off the price. They ran my credit again and I was approved to finance this car too. At that point I felt I had the upper hand and walked out of the dealership.

I searched around the NYC area (on the internet) for another 545i but they were all gone. I guess people are snapping them up now with the BMW financing. The salesman called me several times at work and continued to drop the price. Eventually I ended up agreeing on $40K even and I picked up the car.

I've been driving it for the past couple of days and it's been a blast. Thanks for all of the advice and now I'm currently reading up on the car and several forums learning about it.

The car also has a cold weather package, Logic7 radio, and Xenon headlamps. It has a build date of 05/04.

Thanks again,
Henry
Old 06-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Hello,

I bought my '04 530i in Jan of this year and love it. I agree w/ a previous post that the ext maint is high @ $1995. I got my ext maint pkg for $1295.

Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Try and get one with Sport Package and with the newer engine, if possible. Both are worth the extra money.

PS - If you get your car by June 24th, come to the NY Meet. Here's the link!

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40638&hl=
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Members

Hello,
The car does have the Sport and Cold Weather packages. It also has the Logic 7 system too.

Quick Reply: 2004 530i - What do you think?