E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i iPod interface?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was the one offered by BMW..everything installed was around $600.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jgbmw' post='1052609' date='Nov 11 2009, 05:10 PM
It was the one offered by BMW..everything installed was around $600.
I have an iPod interface from my 2007 550i for sale. My car is going back to dealer (end of lease) in December 2009. This unit works flawlessly and have not had any problems with it since day one. Car only has 32,000 miles. If your car is not programmed for CD Changer, you will need to have the iPod Interface programmed at dealer. If car already has the CD changer, it's plug and play, no programming needed.

Anyone interested, please email me. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

You need the CD changer connection enabled and the MP3 support added, alternatively buy one fit it and see if it works. I fitted the kit to my 2004 525D, i paid the dealer 1hours labour to update the software to the August 2006 version and enable the IPOD interface.

Another 2004 E60 IPOD Retrofitted.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Members

Well, I thought I would just post my own update. After a number of meeting cancellations for the day, I decided to take the time I got back and spend it at the BMW dealership. Man, good thing my afternoon cleared up, because I was there just shy of 4 freakin' hours. So, to recap, 2004 530i, non-nav M-ASK iDrive system, CIP 21.00.00, 11/2003 production, iPod interface kit 65 11 0 036 448, no MP3 CD playing capability. Long story short, they charged me one hour of labor for the 4 hours they spent, and everything works exactly as expected!

Thanks for the feedback all! I too paid for one hour of labor and that was it, well, 4 hours later ;-)

Did the install myself since the car was pre-wired for a CD changer. Just had to break the MOST loop and use the dual adapter than came with the kit to mate both fiber optic cables to the plug that goes to the interface.

Sound quality is great, all things relative, since it's a stock 10-speaker stereo system, but notably better than the FM radio sound.

Cheers - happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IFly650i' post='1060759' date='Nov 23 2009, 12:35 PM
I have an iPod interface from my 2007 550i for sale. My car is going back to dealer (end of lease) in December 2009. This unit works flawlessly and have not had any problems with it since day one. Car only has 32,000 miles. If your car is not programmed for CD Changer, you will need to have the iPod Interface programmed at dealer. If car already has the CD changer, it's plug and play, no programming needed.

I may be interested, Let me know how much you want for it.
The system would not let me send a message so you can email me @ kevrob@bellsouth.net

Thanks, Kevin
Old 11-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by custom60' post='1062745' date='Nov 25 2009, 06:13 PM
Just had to break the MOST loop and use the dual adapter than came with the kit to mate both fiber optic cables to the plug that goes to the interface.
Can you elaborate on this? I have no idea about the MOST and why you had to break the "loop" etc. I'm having some issues and this may just help if I can understand.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by refaie1' post='1063432' date='Nov 26 2009, 10:34 PM
Can you elaborate on this? I have no idea about the MOST and why you had to break the "loop" etc. I'm having some issues and this may just help if I can understand.
Sure thing - I got a lot of great information from this thread:
https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...205&hl=ipod

You should be able to see a photo there in the first post, by the original poster (666bxg). The black plastic rectangular connector with the "cables" going in to each side of it is a fiber optic splice - it's the ends of two cables that are pointed at each other, one is basically transmit, the other receive. These fiber optic ends are the MOST connections for the BMW CD Changer/iPod Interface Adapter. MOST is a fiber optic bus architecture for some of the electronics in the vehicle. Thus, if you are pre-wired for a CD Changer and never had one installed (which was my case), this is what it looks like. The black rectangular connector is a 2-piece connector. The outer shroud needs to be removed, and then the inner part needs to be manipulated CAREFULLY so you don't damage the ends of the fiber optic terminations. I had a heckuva time with the outer shroud and destroyed it while removing it, but the inner part protects the cables very well, so I was OK. On the inner part, there will be tabs that you can lift with a small flat-head screwdriver, then the fiber optic cable should easily be removed. If it is difficult or feels like it's not moving, don't force it. Just take your time with the little tabs/ears, they will come out easily once you get under them with the screwdriver.

Next, turn on the ignition, but you do not have to start the car. All you want to do here is identify which cable glows red. This is the input to the iPod interface, and the other cable is the output. The iPod interface kits are supplied with a two-hole connector that these cables will slide into. There is a little blue insert that you need to push out with a small tool. This insert holds the fiber optic ends in place, which need to be put in as far as you can. The ends of the cables should almost reach the other end of the connector. Then this assembly snaps into the larger connector that is part of the pre-wiring, as seen in the photo from the thread I referenced. The smaller connector with the kit has arrows and numbers, so #1 is where the cable that glows red will go in, and it should have an arrow pointing into the iPod interface. It will be more apparent when you see it, as this connector can only go into the larger connection assembly one way. The larger pre-wired assembly also has arrows.

So, when you have that assembled, just plug that larger connector assembly into the iPod interface, then attach the supplied cable to the other plug in the interface, the other end to your iPod, have your BMW dealer do the iPod adapter retrofit programming - should be 1 hour of labor.

It was a bit intimidating at first since I've never done much with fiber optic cables, but I did it myself and it works fine. My local dealer wanted to charge me $200 for the physical installation, which I accomplished in 15 minutes, so I think it's worth the time investment if you are up for it.

If you have a CD Changer installed already, the physical connections are plug and play, just unplug the CD changer, and plug it into your iPod adapter. I'm not sure if the programming will all be setup, but you can check with your dealer, or other members on this forum who know way more than I do about this.

I don't know if my description helps or not, but let me know. I'll take some pictures for you if you want.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

thanks. I've seen this many times. In fact now that I see it, I have fiber looped in the rear wheel well nex to my TCU. I assume its for the Logic7 which is not what my car is equipped with. With optics the TX and RX are on separate fibers I only remember seeing one green fiber sleeve. I have a fiber test set for light readings. I showed my wife the other day how this works. I brought a fiber pair home with me. I have a nice laser on my AR-15 and i put the fiber end to the laswer and she saw it shoot through the other side although it was rolled up. She was amazed.........lol

Also took out my CCC and realized that it too runs on fiber pair. and has two TX and two RX.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by IFly650i

I wish to buy it.
How much does it cost me?
Do you deliver to Beirut, Lebanon?
Email: wael@entv.tv
Mobile: 009613821358

Regards,
Old 08-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I know I'm digging up an old thread here..

I too have a e60 production date of 11/03 and BMW of Arlington is telling me they cannot do the MP3/iPod MOST BUS coding because it needs to be a production date of 09/04 or newer.

Backstory... I'm installing a Dension Gateway 500 and when I told the dealership that last month they wouldn't do the coding. I've been told on this site that the MP3 coding and the iPod coding are the same software update. So I went to the dealership stating 'please do the MP3 CD coding' so I can plug the Dension GW in and the car SHOULD recognize it!

Quick Reply: 2004 530i iPod interface?