E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530i Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Post 2004 530i Hesitation

Hello everybody!
First of all, happy new year!
Sorry for this being my first post, but by reading online, I got confused. I have a problem, or I would say a dilemma.
I recently bought a 530i with 166000 miles on the odometer. I know that I have a M54 engine. I have to say driving a BMW is amazing. Anyway, I don't want to waste your time. Since I bought it, I have been having some issues with the acceleration. In fact, I am experiencing hesitation at low speed, acceleration speed (20-40 mph) and city driving. I took it to Autozone and their scanner is showing misfire in Cylinders 4, 5 and 6, System too lean bank 1 and 2, and System purge control valve circuit open (P0444) and also a vacuum leak. The gentleman over there told me that those are common issues in a Bimmer and I should ask for an online assistance to have more information about these issues.
I know that I need to replace the spark plugs, and I have read somewhere that I should use the NGK Laser Platinum BKR6EQUP instead of Bosch or Laser Iridium, because although being newer, the laser iridium is not fully compatible with the M54 engine.
Acknowledging that I have misfires, I am also replacing the Ignition coils (six of them). I have the choice between Bosch and Delphi. What would you recommend?

Those replacements I am about to do are fully self-deducted, and I have no experience in mechanic, whatsoever. I don't want any mechanic to scam me with low end parts, so I will be buying the parts and they will install them, so do you think anything else needs to be checked on?

Please, I am open to any suggestions, recommendations and advice.

Thanks a lot, I feel like this BMW will give me a new life

Last edited by amoudson; 01-04-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: replaced told with those
Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i

Hi, and congratulations. I have a 2004 525i that I love. I am sorry you are having problems, but there are a lot of things that could cause your issues.

My first suggestion would be to get an OBDII reader, and then BMWhat app to see if your computer is suggesting there is an issue with the car somewhere. I know you said Autozone ran the codes .. but this app might show you better details. They mentioned "vacuum" and that's the very first thing that I would check out .. could be a very easy fix.

I hope that's helpful!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

BKR6EQUP is the best plug to use in M54, you are correct.

With all those misfire codes, I'd definitely start with new plugs, see what that does for you. while you're doing plugs, do yourself a favor and replace the valve cover gasket set, I used to see cars that had so much oil in the spark plug wells that it was causing the coil to ground out and not fire the plug.

google 'm54 misfire' or 'm52 misfire' and youre going to see pages and pages of the typical M5X stuff; plugs, coils, valve cover gaskets leaking oil into the plug wells. I'd start with a fresh set of plugs and gasket set, see what that gets you.

Oh, and your evap system purge valve is shot. its not uncommon and easy to replace. there are videos on youtube on how to do it, its a 30 minute job tops and likely has nothing to do with your hesitation.

good luck.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:02 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by knklhead
Hi, and congratulations. I have a 2004 525i that I love. I am sorry you are having problems, but there are a lot of things that could cause your issues.

My first suggestion would be to get an OBDII reader, and then BMWhat app to see if your computer is suggesting there is an issue with the car somewhere. I know you said Autozone ran the codes .. but this app might show you better details. They mentioned "vacuum" and that's the very first thing that I would check out .. could be a very easy fix.

I hope that's helpful!
Hi!
Thanks, I know, Bimmers make their owner happy lol.
I ordered the OBDII reader from BMWHat Germany, but I never received it. I will order one from their US store soon. I heard theirs is better than others.
I will let you know
Old 01-05-2015, 09:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
BKR6EQUP is the best plug to use in M54, you are correct.

With all those misfire codes, I'd definitely start with new plugs, see what that does for you. while you're doing plugs, do yourself a favor and replace the valve cover gasket set, I used to see cars that had so much oil in the spark plug wells that it was causing the coil to ground out and not fire the plug.

google 'm54 misfire' or 'm52 misfire' and youre going to see pages and pages of the typical M5X stuff; plugs, coils, valve cover gaskets leaking oil into the plug wells. I'd start with a fresh set of plugs and gasket set, see what that gets you.

Oh, and your evap system purge valve is shot. its not uncommon and easy to replace. there are videos on youtube on how to do it, its a 30 minute job tops and likely has nothing to do with your hesitation.

good luck.
Hello Kyle,
Thank you for clearing my mind about those plugs. I am going to order them now from AutoHaus. But what about the coils? Do I really need to replace them? If yes, which brand would you recommend between Delphi and Bosch?
I will do as you suggest and replace the valve cover gasket too.
What is the name of the part I need to replace for the evap system purge valve? Sorry, I am a newbie, and I never did this before. What is its role?
Thanks again !
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by amoudson
Hello Kyle,
Thank you for clearing my mind about those plugs. I am going to order them now from AutoHaus. But what about the coils? Do I really need to replace them? If yes, which brand would you recommend between Delphi and Bosch?
I will do as you suggest and replace the valve cover gasket too.
What is the name of the part I need to replace for the evap system purge valve? Sorry, I am a newbie, and I never did this before. What is its role?
Thanks again !
the part is the 'evap system purge valve'.

start with plugs first. If you continue to get misfire codes on 4,5, or 6, take a coil from a known good cylinder (#2 for example) and swap it over to a cylinder that is giving you misfire codes. If your misfire code moves to cylinder #2, then you know you have a bad coil as the misfire code is travelling to whatever cylinder you're putting that coil on.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:16 AM
New Members

Excellent input from Borat -- I mean KyleB!
Old 01-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by knklhead
Excellent input from Borat -- I mean KyleB!
High five i like you peoples!
Old 01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
New Members

.. My BMW "make me Excite!"
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Members
Senior Members