E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 530 - Engine Performance and Bumpy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009 | 04:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

I have a 2004 530 with 87,000km owned since Nov/08 (stock standard/basic with no mentionable options).

The car just does not feel like a BMW. The engine on start up sounds noisy and rough. The engine also seems very sluggish and not what I expected from a BMW. Also the ride is very bumpy and not luxurious, comfotable or refined I understand that the BMW ride may be firm, but mine is downright bumpy. And all this is based on comparing to a 2003 G35 that I previously drove and a 1997 Honda Prelude that I still own, and a 2008 528 that I've ridden in.

The car was always serviced at the dealer by the previous owner. I've had 1 oil change since I've owned it, undertaken by AutoTrend in Toronto. I spoke with an independant shop who agreed that the engine appears somewhat non-responsive, but thought that the ride may just be due to a firmer ride.

Any comments, or suggestions where I could take the car to ? I don't want to go to the dealer as the car has been serviced there for the last 4 years and it is like this since my owing it since Nov/08 (aside from the exhorbiitant dealer charges). I live in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:02 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by Technik1' post='896009' date='May 31 2009, 08:19 PM
I have a 2004 530 with 87,000km owned since Nov/08 (stock standard/basic with no mentionable options).

The car just does not feel like a BMW. The engine on start up sounds noisy and rough. The engine also seems very sluggish and not what I expected from a BMW. Also the ride is very bumpy and not luxurious, comfotable or refined I understand that the BMW ride may be firm, but mine is downright bumpy. And all this is based on comparing to a 2003 G35 that I previously drove and a 1997 Honda Prelude that I still own, and a 2008 528 that I've ridden in.

The car was always serviced at the dealer by the previous owner. I've had 1 oil change since I've owned it, undertaken by AutoTrend in Toronto. I spoke with an independant shop who agreed that the engine appears somewhat non-responsive, but thought that the ride may just be due to a firmer ride.

Any comments, or suggestions where I could take the car to ? I don't want to go to the dealer as the car has been serviced there for the last 4 years and it is like this since my owing it since Nov/08 (aside from the exhorbiitant dealer charges). I live in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks.
Changing your spark plugs might remedy your problems with the engine. Also, clean the MAF sensor by the airbox and run 2 bottles of BMW brand fuel additive through the engine (Put one bottle into a full tank and don't fill up before she's empty. Then fill up again with ONLY fuel, no additive, run the entire tank. And then fill up again for the 3rd time WITH the fuel additive .). Do you have the sport package?
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:58 PM
Contributors

i dont think he has the sport because he said no mentionable options
Old 05-31-2009 | 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Should go for services check
Old 05-31-2009 | 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ricky1329' post='896155' date='May 31 2009, 08:06 PM
Should go for services check
Check your shocks, and do as the other members said regarding the engine. I also came from a G35/37 and the 530i's are down on power and weight more so don't expect it to be anywhere as fast but the ride is much smoother than my old Infiniti.
Old 06-01-2009 | 06:13 AM
Members

A friend of mine which is in the BMW tuner circle, had my car (04 530i) connected to an Autologic computer a few months back to just check things around. At the end, he reset my computer and told me that the computer would relearn it values and driver habits to sort of re-tune itself. He told me that if I wanted my car to be a little bit more responsive, to drive it like I stole it for the rest of the day so that the Cars computer can adapt to that style of driving. I did the best I could, cannot tell you that it did a huge difference, as my car responded pretty good from the beginning, but it might be worth a try having them reset the computer. He did it via the Autologic, but It might be the same as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Now, I hope others will chime in as I'm only going from what my friend told me. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Greg
Old 06-01-2009 | 07:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 (07/03) 530i, Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Leather, Premium Package, Sports Package, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenons, euro red reflectors, K/N air filter, Falken 452's

Originally Posted by turbogate' post='896596' date='Jun 1 2009, 09:13 AM
A friend of mine which is in the BMW tuner circle, had my car (04 530i) connected to an Autologic computer a few months back to just check things around. At the end, he reset my computer and told me that the computer would relearn it values and driver habits to sort of re-tune itself. He told me that if I wanted my car to be a little bit more responsive, to drive it like I stole it for the rest of the day so that the Cars computer can adapt to that style of driving. I did the best I could, cannot tell you that it did a huge difference, as my car responded pretty good from the beginning, but it might be worth a try having them reset the computer. He did it via the Autologic, but It might be the same as disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

Now, I hope others will chime in as I'm only going from what my friend told me. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Greg

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018
Old 06-01-2009 | 03:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Grey

Originally Posted by superbri' post='896173' date='May 31 2009, 11:23 PM
Check your shocks, and do as the other members said regarding the engine. I also came from a G35/37 and the 530i's are down on power and weight more so don't expect it to be anywhere as fast but the ride is much smoother than my old Infiniti.
The problem is that the ride is not smoother than my old G35. The engine is sluggish and at times (especially when cold) sounds rough and unrefined, and the ride feels bumpy when going over bumps and potholes, and not comfortable and luxurious. The car doesn't bounce a lot when I push down on the trunk or bonnet, so could the shocks be faulty/worn ??.
Old 06-01-2009 | 05:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Technik1' post='897165' date='Jun 1 2009, 07:16 PM
The problem is that the ride is not smoother than my old G35. The engine is sluggish and at times (especially when cold) sounds rough and unrefined, and the ride feels bumpy when going over bumps and potholes, and not comfortable and luxurious. The car doesn't bounce a lot when I push down on the trunk or bonnet, so could the shocks be faulty/worn ??.
Sounds like tires and wheels could be a problem. Take the car in and have the wheels/tires balanced, look for a damaged/bent rim. Original wheels and original size tires should ride best. If the car has aftermarket wheels they might not be as round as originals. Lower profile tires will reduce shock absorption. Some cars have run flat tires which can be stiff, especially early versions. I really can't compare the ride to your Infinity but did compare a G35 to an E46 in one in '04 and the the E46 won hands down. That E46 is still in the family and the E60 is a smoother yet.