E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 525i, worth bringing back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turboawd, yes, the mechanic indicated that there's a leak and should be fixed. Thx for the info regarding the spark plugs as well! My other car is a nissan, it's hiding behind the BMW w/ the trunk open. Flange between the intermediate pipe and the muffler gave way due to rust.

Tex_Phil, much appreciate your advice! It does look great, and I can't wait for the car on Wednesday. I'll post pics and prices then, I promise .

As for the rims, I'll keep you in mind, thx!
Old 08-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by peachykonan
Yes, the mechanic indicated that there's a leak and should be fixed. Thx for the info regarding the spark plugs as well!

Tex-phil, much appreciate your advice! It does look great, and I can't wait for the car on Wednesday. I'll post pics and prices then, I promise .

As for the rims, I'll keep you in mind, thx!
if you look in the service menu on the i-drive, it will tell you when sparkplugs and other maintenance items are due.

how bad is the leak? if its just wet a little, you can probably change the gasket later on.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Members

I don't remember seeing the spark plugs maintenance item in the idrive menu, but I did see one for brake fluid, oil, brake pads front, brake pads rear, etc. I'll doublecheck it once I get the car back today (fully finished).

On another note, can you post a picture of the cover gasket, I'm not sure what I should be looking at in the engine compartment to check on the leak status. Thank you!
Originally Posted by turboawd
if you look in the service menu on the i-drive, it will tell you when sparkplugs and other maintenance items are due.

how bad is the leak? if its just wet a little, you can probably change the gasket later on.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Members

Bodywork done, here are the pics:

Tint forthcoming. I'd just like to say the expenditure breaks down as follows:
1. Front bumper 406 (including shipping) from Umnitza
2. Rear bumper 406 (from Trinity).
3. Paint and install front/rear - 633.

I also painted the hood for an additional $200.

I have to say I'm not as much of a fan of the mtech rear bumper now that I've seen it up close and in person. Fitment is iffy, but at least it's in excellent shape. I'll hang on to the OEM bumpers just in case.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

looks nice, but you need some wheels bad. even the stock 17" wheels would look a lot better than those 16's.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

I agree about the wheels, those ones are not good looking (totally my opinion), go for 17 you get plenty of options with stock wheels itself..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM
Members

Thanks for the feedback! I don't have sport suspension installed, will upgrading to rims of a larger size still look ok? Say, size 172, 166, etc?
Originally Posted by turboawd
looks nice, but you need some wheels bad. even the stock 17" wheels would look a lot better than those 16's.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

LOL at those rims. I always hated those rims and every E60 I see with them I cringe. I would say for the time being upgrade to 17" stock rims. Even those would look much better then the uglies you have on.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 545i

Body looks great!!! I'm sure you're happy you made that move
Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 PM
Members

Thanks for everyone's input!

I'm definitely keeping an eye out for rims, it's pretty exciting to see all the amazing styles and options available, but I want to make the right decision once. I feel like I already got burned (imho) on the rear bumper.

After doing some research, the entire subject of rims / tires appear extremely detailed - I'd really appreciate some advice here!

Let's take a set of style 172 rims for example (I heard the ride quality and height is more forgiving than other styles).

1. Will I need to utilize offsets or is this an option? I see posts w/ the following:
Offsets for 172's are: F ET:18, R ET:32. These are the only offsets offered for 172 wheels.

2. Are the 172s by default staggered? I see a lot of the talk regarding tire widths.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/545...the-tire-size/

3. I drive on some nasty roads out here in the North East. There is no possible way to avoid the constant construction, road deterioration, cracks, bumps, and pits that cause body dmg and road rash. I need to consider this for whatever rim I buy. It sounds like various rim styles, which can affect tire sizes, can easily affect susceptibility to curb rash. Any recommendations on safe but wicked rims?

4. I don't have sport suspension, how much of a gap will I be facing putting on 172s?

Thanks in advance !

Quick Reply: 2004 525i, worth bringing back to life?