E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2004 525i, worth bringing back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

looks like most damage is on the bumpers. you could repair/repaint them if you dont want to spend too much. they dont look too bad.
if you want to be real cheap, just use a black sharpie marker on the scratches and it will look a bit better.

and the first thing i would do is get rid of those wheels. i dont know why bmw ever put those on. you can get a set of 138 style wheels for pretty cheap, and they will look a lot better than those. or if you want to spend more, then you have a lot of options.

good luck.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

another cheap option.
http://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Did you ask them how much a full repaint would cost?

Looks like you're going to spend about $2500 with the paint, bodywork and new window trim.
I think I read about someone getting a full repaint and some dings taken care of for 3-4k... I could be wrong on the price but I would probably consider it if I were doing this much bodywork and painting already. There's bound to be other little nicks and paint chips.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I would recommend just getting a new front and rear m-tech replica bumper from trinity or something, have it painted. And then have the car detailed fully. The other stuff should be able to be correctly pretty easy. If you plan on being on this forum you WILL end up wanting to mod so you might as well get the bumpers out of the way now.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i

Originally Posted by peachykonan
Hi guys, First post here, please let me know if I'm not doing anything right! Here goes...This morning, I acquired a 2004 525i BMW (a dream fulfilled) from a relative for low $. It's been my dream to own one, but I'm definitely not going to be eating cake right away as the car's bodywork has some serious issues.

1. The paintwork has strange oil-like swirls w/ a ton of scratches ($430 for wetsand / buff / polish - not sure if this is enough, is this worth doing? Should I just go for a complete respray at this point?)
2. Front / rear bumpers need to be totally replaced (I'll pick up M5 tech front/back bumpers because it's cheaper than OEM, and yes, definitely no M badges for this guy). At least $350 + $250? + paint & install (i have a quote of $633, is this a good price?)).
3. Right front fender has some collision dmg ($380)
4. Left side mirror damaged, but motor is fine ($500)
5. At least two areas of major denting, and one minor spot dent ($450)
6. Chrome door / window sills probably need to be completely replaced ($???)

This is a lot of money for a car of this age, are all the quotes reasonable?

Thanks, Peachy in Bmore

[edited for clarity, I messed up the formatting]
Not worth it man, unless you want to give it to your kid so he can total it. BMW after E39 is not really BMW - cheap junk.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by hooch999
Not worth it man, unless you want to give it to your kid so he can total it. BMW after E39 is not really BMW - cheap junk.
Trolling?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you Tex_Phil + everyone else for your advice and recommendations!

I've bit the bullet, the car's in service now and will be going in on Monday for the critical services listed. The M5Tech front bumper and MTech rear bumper will be sourced from Trinity (better service and direct shipping to my autobody guy), and I'll update w/ more pre/post pics when this is done.

Total is scary, but I can't to see the final results !
Originally Posted by tex_phil
I would recommend just getting a new front and rear m-tech replica bumper from trinity or something, have it painted. And then have the car detailed fully. The other stuff should be able to be correctly pretty easy. If you plan on being on this forum you WILL end up wanting to mod so you might as well get the bumpers out of the way now.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by peachykonan
Thank you Tex_Phil + everyone else for your advice and recommendations!

I've bit the bullet, the car's in service now and will be going in on Monday for the critical services listed. The M5Tech front bumper and MTech rear bumper will be sourced from Trinity (better service and direct shipping to my autobody guy), and I'll update w/ more pre/post pics when this is done.

Total is scary, but I can't to see the final results !
It will be all worth it, trust me! Enjoy your new ride
Old 07-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Members

Just so you know, I bought a 1988 Mercedes 300E that had over 200K on the odo and I resurrected it with Engine, Suspension, interior and body work for around $5500.00. That car never let me down I drove it winter and summer, everything worked even the sun roof, even took it on vacation. By the time I sold it, was near 290K and the engine was still going strong no smoking and silly acting anomolies. Actually I traded it to buy my 530I because it was such a great deal from where I got it from.

If body is work is all that your concerned with get 3 or so estimates and then go for it, the E60 series is a very solid platform you wont be sorry!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Senior Members

Good luck and happy modding my friend Post pics after the install

Quick Reply: 2004 525i, worth bringing back to life?