E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

200,000 mile club

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I just crossed 109,500 miles with my 545i SMG. 2005 model, purchased in Nov 2004. So I'm approaching 9 years.

Had about $7000 of repairs made a couple of months ago. New alternator, oil leaks, new valley pan and coolant related items, control arm bushings, both SMG paddles replaced.

I'm having all sorts of electrical problems now. I noticed that electrical wires in my headlights have the sheathing cracking and flaking off, leaving exposed wire showing. I'm sure this is not limited to the headlights. Probably just a matter of time before things start shorting out.

My trunk lid won't open right now because it needs a new wire harness. Only way to open the trunk is to climb inside from the back seat and pull the emergency release. $1000 fix. Part on order from Germany.

Passenger side view mirror needs a new motor. $450 I'm not doing it.

My active headlights won't turn with the steering anymore. They want $1000 to replace that module. I'm not doing it.

I love my 545i but I'm very concerned that the time has come I must let her go. I probably should have let her go a year ago, before I had to do that $7000 service. Could have made a few payments on a new car with that money.
Wowzers You are a pioneer owner - since 04 so these things are happening to a car you most likely paid somewhere around $60k for (I picked mine up in 06 for around $45k). You know the entire service, repair, and driver history - you did it. It was one expensive car to buy, and one very expensive one to own. I'm with you - I should have traded her in in 2009 while there was still time on the extended warranty. But, I loved the damned thing (still do, even in the F10 era that is now exposing her age).

Some of those things you may be able to find cheaper on ebay, or source at an automotive dismantler. The alternator I did myself (pain in the a**, but saved a crap load of cash). Same for the valley pan and secondary air injection hose, coolant hoses, spark plugs, etc. Leaks are a pain for me now. Thats gonna be a 4-digit repair.

Headlight wiring deterioration is becoming increasingly common - and it shouldn't on a car not yet a decade old, much less on the newer cars of some members also experiencing the problem. I saw some initial fraying when I had to pull my old Angel iBrights 3.0 due to failure last year. Shocked the crap out of me, so I dont bother to go in there anymore. I was seriously contemplating installing in-line fuses at the harness level. Instead, I carry an extinguishing device.

I wish you the best with her. And if you do decide to keep her for the run-up to 200k, may they be as trouble-free as possible. Same goes out to the rest of the E60 family/community. Thanks guys for your replies! -Al

Last edited by advancedlogic; 07-27-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

According to my records in Quicken, I have spent $14,557.41 on Parts & Service for my 545i since Nov 2004.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

I have a 2007 530i SMG with 64,000 miles. I got the car custom ordered from factory In June 2006 and paid near 60K out the door...so I have had the car for about 7 years. The car has always been kept outside in the Texas and Florida heat. So far, I have HAD to replace the following due to failure:

SMG clutch and flywheel replaced at 62,000 miles (probably due to me parking on the 5th floor or a parking garage for the last 3 years). My commute use to be 60 miles daily for the first 4 years of the car and now my commute is 10 miles a day for the last 3 years and counting. (paid around 1500 with parts and labor)

Broken Passenger engine mount, valve cover gasket and oil filer housing leak. (Paid about 700 with parts and labor)

New Master Cylinder and 4 new brake calipers due to water contamination inside the system ($1500 with parts and labor)

I have done the following preventative maintenance:

Oil change every 7,500 miles
New Spark Plugs at 60,000 miles
Radiator Coolant Flush at 60k miles
Brake Fluid Flush every 2 years
Fuel Filter Replacement at 60K miles
New Thermostat and lower rubber hose at 50K miles
Power Steering Fluid Flush at 60K miles
Rear Differential Fluid Flush at 60K miles
New Battery at 55K miles

Looking back over the years, I love my car to death but kind of wish I had gone with maybe an Acura or something more cost effective to maintain. Or maybe I should just stick to leasing BMWs. Anyways, I am no mechanic and have had to have everything done by an Indy. So far I have put in about $6000 in normal parts that break down and preventive maintenance and probably about $5-7K in modifications. I only have 63K miles and am hopeful that the only things that will come up in the next 40K miles will be the water pump.

I kind of also wish I had sold it when the warranty was still present, but I just can not seem to part with this car. I here great things about the n52 engine and hope that they are all true and the money I have invested in this car provides me with reliability and longevity. I have been a long time member on here and it is great to see some of the 04/05 years 5 series pushing the 200,000 mile mark!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Lets not mention all the rubber seals on the outside that are fading/cracking...I should have taken better care of those items but this was my first BMW so I guess I will have to learn from my mistakes. I have a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquees and its amazing to compare the longevity of some of the rubber parts that are exposed to the sun between the two cars.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by houbmw
Lets not mention all the rubber seals on the outside that are fading/cracking...I should have taken better care of those items but this was my first BMW so I guess I will have to learn from my mistakes. I have a 2000 Mercury Grand Marquees and its amazing to compare the longevity of some of the rubber parts that are exposed to the sun between the two cars.
I replaced my front and rear windshield rubber seals about a year ago. They had dry rotted and were crumbling.