E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2 questions and a comment

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218382
k, I don't know if it make sense or not, but I have had my car for two month. I when I came back from NY
after Thanksgiving, I have noticed black on my rims that won't come off...I have been cleaning them every weekend since using all kinds of brushes and different wheel cleaners. My guess is the salt on the road caused it, and now it's starting to look like rust. Does it make sense? could the salt cause the rust?
Interesting. I, for one, have never noticed the effect you mention, but they did not use salt in Tulsa when we lived there. And, are you a shadow of your former self? You seem to be fading.
[/quote]

znod, I kinda like the fading look you know me...I'll have a new avatar in no time Are you back from your trip already?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by miss525i' post='218389
Originally Posted by miss525i' post='218381' date='Jan 2 2006, 04:43 PM
k, I don't know if it make sense or not, but I have had my car for two month. I when I came back from NY
after Thanksgiving, I have noticed black on my rims that won't come off...I have been cleaning them every weekend since using all kinds of brushes and different wheel cleaners. My guess is the salt on the road caused it, and now it's starting to look like rust. Does it make sense? could the salt cause the rust?
Interesting. I, for one, have never noticed the effect you mention, but they did not use salt in Tulsa when we lived there. And, are you a shadow of your former self? You seem to be fading.
znod, I kinda like the fading look you know me...I'll have a new avatar in no time Are you back from your trip already?
[/quote]
Yes, I know you--the shrinking-violet type--shy and demur. No, today, we took the Eurostar 200 mph train from London to Brussels--an extremely nice/fast/comfortable, but unintersting ride. We are in a wonderful 110 year-old hotel--Hotel Metropole. It is absolutely gorgeous. Brussels seems like a very, very nice city, but we have been here only a short while. One thing we saw today is the Grand Place. Check them both out on the web; both are very interesting. I'll try to post some more auto photos soon. Did you see the later London photos--at the parade? If not, then check the London thread out--not that the photos are all that interesting--actually they really aren't interesting at all--well, maybe a little. CU
Old 01-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I noticed a lot of steam coming from my grille at the weekend - and I hadn't noticed it before either !
Old 01-02-2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='218324' date='Jan 2 2006, 02:10 PM
Ihad an e60 for about two years and I only saw a bit of carbon after sometimes. But some one recommended to me to use colgate tooth-paste and it went way. In fact, I apply it frequenly and it was always shine and smiling
Careful with toothpaste, it has a fine polishing grit in it. Probabaly not enough to show on your pipe tips, but it can be used to polish metal, such as watch cases where wear and tear have caused minor scratches. It smooths them out, but abraids the surface.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 01-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I'll keep watching the steam and see if it ever occurs without rain

As far as the rust on tailpipes - it is on the top - I was able to clean off but there is a defect in the chrome now - So I assume this is what lead to the rust

Think I could get the dealer to look at them?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218487' date='Jan 2 2006, 08:58 PM
I'll keep watching the steam and see if it ever occurs without rain

As far as the rust on tailpipes - it is on the top - I was able to clean off but there is a defect in the chrome now - So I assume this is what lead to the rust

depends, how many miles on the car? warranty?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='218487' date='Jan 2 2006, 06:58 PM

Since your car is less than a month old, I'd bring it to the dealer and have them replace the rusting tips under warranty.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

month old? Should be a no brainer. Demand warranty!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Znod' post='218444
Originally Posted by Znod' post='218382' date='Jan 2 2006, 04:57 PM
[quote name='miss525i' post='218381' date='Jan 2 2006, 04:43 PM']
[/quote]
Yes, I know you--the shrinking-violet type--shy and non demuring. No, today, we took the Eurostar 200 mph train from London to Brussels--an extremely nice/fast/comfortable, but unintersting ride. We are in a wonderful 110 year-old hotel--Hotel Metropole. It is absolutely gorgeous. Brussels seems like a very, very nice city, but we have been here only a short while. One thing we saw today is the Grand Place. Check them both out on the web; both are very interesting. I'll try to post some more auto photos soon. Did you see the later London photos--at the parade? If not, then check the London thread out--not that the photos are all that interesting--actually they really aren't interesting at all--well, maybe a little. CU
[/quote]